• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre embargo ISOM's from 1911

Ike

I was just reading an article from '99 about cigar shops here in N.O. It mentions one shop in the quarter that has pre-embargo cigars that date back to 1911. Assuming these were properly stored would they still be any good? Would the tobacco hold up that long? Did people use humidors back that long ago?

Just curious.

The stuff at the shop you are talking about, can't remember the name, but they have a coffee bar and are on the same street as the antiques shops, has some nice pre-embargo stuff. Price is pretty high and for the most part they are more for collecting than smoking. Way past their prime and not stored the best.

Even assuming they were stored properly, The oil in the tobacco evaporates over time. The oil is what really gives the flavor. So they may still be smokable but I doubt the flavor would be that great.

I've been to this place I believe - somewhere on the 800 or 900 block of Royal Street - called Cuba Cafe or Habana Cafe or something like that - if we're talking about the same place. They had some gems when I went, and the guy I spoke with (owner or manager, I'd guess, but I don't know) was helpful.

He wasn't a cigar geek per se, but pointed me to stock that had been bought on auction from Christie's and was in very good shape... and volunteered the statement that much of his cuban stock was not really for a smoker - but more for novelty value of saying you smoked it. I don't think he had more than 3 or 4 boxes of things that I would even consider, and nothing that was on my "really want to try" list... I did have an RyJ Edison (I think that was the name?) from just before the embargo - and it was very good, IMO.

Not a source I would go out of my way for - but an interesting ad-hoc/one-off experience.

Cheers,

- Oak

Yeah, its called Cafe Havana. I have never been there in person. I was just reading about the old cubans in an article I found. It is on my list of places to go soon. Lately I have not had the time to really do anything but get on here a few minutes every day or so.

I have been to Dos Jeffes Cigar Bar a few times. Really laid back place, nice change of pace. I usually go to the Ritz Carlton. I try to go there on the weekends to have drinks and listen to Jeremy Davenport. They are cigar friendly and sell them in the Library Lounge.

Matt R said:
Price is pretty high and for the most part they are more for collecting than smoking. Way past their prime and not stored the best.
I just purchased a pre-revolutionary 1955 cigar from a dealer. I have no plans to smoke it, but will keep it as a collector's thing I guess.

Has anyone had any experience smoking a pre-rev Cuban??

:lookup: :thumbs: :lookup: :thumbs: :lookup: