• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre Embargo?

toliver

Went into a shop today and they had sticks that they claimed were made from pre-embargo cuban tobbaco. Had a "Certificate" there that explained that the cigars were made from tobacco that someone had bought (45,000 lbs. of it) before the embargo and let it sit. The owner died, and when the estate was settled, someone bought the tobacco and made these cigars.

I am a sucker, I bought 3. Anyone heard of these?

TOliver

toliver said:
Went into a shop today and they had sticks that they claimed were made from pre-embargo cuban tobbaco. Had a "Certificate" there that explained that the cigars were made from tobacco that someone had bought (45,000 lbs. of it) before the embargo and let it sit. The owner died, and when the estate was settled, someone bought the tobacco and made these cigars.

I am a sucker, I bought 3. Anyone heard of these?

TOliver
[snapback]210291[/snapback]​
probably pinar. i love them. some how much did you pay for them? i was a sucker and paid $24, but you can get them from seriouscigars.com for around $10

Thats it.....i could not rembember the name. I paid $16.50

Is this cuban tobacco?

you paid too much.. why but pre-embargo tobacco?? I do not understand the hype of that tobacco..even if it were real..

also if it has a rough end on it almost like it was not finished being rolled it was probably a Gurkha..

TPC Southwind sells Gurkha Pre-Embargos for $45 a stick. I swear their stash has not increased or decreased this entire summer...

I've seen these too...but for the price, I can get real cubans. So why pay for them. Although I have heard that the tobacco is legit. Old, but not worth it...so I've been told. Now the Ghurka...I heard those were great!! :D Just too much to spend...don't know if $35-$45 a stick is worth it being pre-embargo cuban tobacco?

-Fetter

I should probably add that the Gurkha's at Southwind are substantially marked up. It just happens though, that Southwind is the only place I have seen in Memphis that sells Pre-Embargo Cubans.

*Substantially means that a Romeo y Julieta Clemenceaus Tubo that is normally $5-$6 is sold for $16. A Montecristo #2 DR normally in the $10-$12 is $20, and a H. Upmann Corona Major normally $4-$5 is $14.

I think that both the Pinar and the Gurkha pre embargo smokes suck and are not worth the money. The Pinar is just a dog rocket and the Gurkha kind of tastes like mild dirt.

fetterjohn said:
I've seen these too...but for the price, I can get real cubans.

-Fetter
[snapback]210329[/snapback]​

I am still a newbie.....a ISOM supplier or a ISOM itself has not been bestowed upon me!! (In the most cigar snob voice I can think of....maybe Thurston Howell, III)

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I overspent for these "Dog ROckets".

TOliver

I'll try almost any cigars once and I tried a Pinar. I paid $13.00 for a torp and I paid WAY too much. I smoked less than half before I ditched it.

I do agree the the Pinar could be better however the Gurkha 1940 isn't too bad, better then the 1950 version for some reason. Still not worth the money in general when you can buy the real thing for less. However, as a semi-collectable it may be worth it.

Never had the gurkha, but I don't like Gurkha

Pinar, is terrible. Sorry. And they use half dominican filler, and half cuban filler. Me and Eric got bored at the Tinderbox one day and looked it up.

KayakinBoy said:
Never had the gurkha, but I don't like Gurkha

And they use half dominican filler, and half cuban filler.  Me and Eric got bored at the Tinderbox one day and looked it up.
[snapback]210495[/snapback]​
Actually that isn't really correct. I don't know if it is really pre-embargo tobacco or not. But, I know what they claim. They offer different lines. One is supposedly 100% pre-embargo tobacco while another is mixed filler.

Plus your grammar is pretty bad...."Eric and I".

There are a couple of threads on Pinars here, so you can do a search to see what has been said before. Bottom line: there are those who love 'em and those who hate 'em.

Personally, I'm in the "hate 'em" crowd. I may have gotten a bad one, but it was one of the worst sticks I've ever tasted. The one I had (gifted by eshaw) was harsh as hell. I couldn't make it halfway through before I tossed it.

The crew in Charlottesville, VA seem to love 'em, though. I'm thinking that maybe they got the best of the lot in their neck of the woods.

LC-Smoker said:
KayakinBoy said:
Me and Eric got bored at the Tinderbox one day and looked it up.
[snapback]210495[/snapback]​
Plus your grammar is pretty bad...."Eric and I".
[snapback]210504[/snapback]​

Damn southern boys... hell, you'd think he was from Virginny talkin' like 'at.
:sign:

Note: I am a product of the Georgia (grades 1 & 2), North Carolina (3 - 6) and West Virginia (7 - 12th) school systems, so I can talk smack about southerners. The Yankees out there can just shut the hell up now. :p