• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Printer Issues

benjiev

"The Honorable"
I have an All in One HP Officejet 7310 and am running XP on my computer starting last night I can't print anything to my printer. Needless to say I am very frustrated. For some reason the printer isn't being recognized by the computer anymore? I have reloaded the drivers for the printer but it hasn't solved the issue.

Can any of you help me with some additional ideas to troubleshoot this.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of a FraDL2.exe file? It seems to run an endless loop with a reacurring TempDL box which can't be closed or deleted.

Aaagh computers are going to drive my nuts!

Ok I need some more info before I can help you,

I'm guessing your Printer is attached to a USB port.

Did the problem start around the same time you were inflicted with the Surfspeak Spyware (virus)?

Lets start with the spyware first.

How to remove it

once you have done the above steps please download the following program and install it, one its installed let it update itself VERY IMPORTANT!! and let it run.

Spybot search and destroy

Once its removed as much spyware as it can, click the immunize button, this will help block something like this from happening again.

Also if your not running a good anti-virus may I suggest you purchase one.

Ok once you have taken care of the bugs we can try to get your printer fixed.

We can do this one of two ways, the easy way or the right way.

The easy way is to unplug it from the USB port and plug it into a different USB port. This will make your XP PC think its a new printer and reinstall it. However you will have to put up with HP#2 in the printer menu.

The "hard way" (right way) is to uninstall all the USB drivers under the hardware manager and reboot the PC and let it refind them. when it does it should refind your printer and all other USB devices you have on your PC.

Just make sure you go back into the Hardware manager afterwards and take the check mark "Let windows turn off devices attached to this port to save energy." out. If you don't you'll be wondering why stuff doesn't work again in a very short time.

Hope you get everything back up and running soon!

Spyware Removal

Here's one link I found. It looks like a nasty bit of spyware.

About the printer. When you choose to print, is the default printer listed as " Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" ?

I had the same problem recently when I installed a new HP printer. All I had to do was right-click on it from the dropdown menu of printers and reset it to the default.

Hope this helps.

im running an HP laserjet 3030 all in one. the only issue i have had, is that if the USB cable disconnects, the puter and printer cant communicate, and i get an error (visible in task bar). I have been running spybot and microsoft antispyware, and have no troubles. (oh ya, i did notice a suspicious "do you want to update your HP software?" which i declined cuz it looked funny. ALSO, i removed the HP auto updater from the programs, since it works fine. Hope this helps

WARNING: Never purchase a brother Multi printer... i threw mine out after 366 days :angry:

edited to add this link SurfSpeak (safe to click on)

Thanks for the reply guys.

Wurm it just so happens that my wife did download the surfspeak.

So now I have gone through removing it from my computer and I have even tried the easy way to hook up the printer by just installing it into another USB port but that doesn't work.

So now what do I need to do again... :(

I had problems with a USB hub sometime back that would not allow my printer to be recognized. The problem was that the power supply failed, and the combination of devices would over amp the USB port. I would try to directly connect the printer to a USB port without any hub. Also, have you tried a different cable?

Never thought about changing the cables will need to give that a try. I am getting desperate!

You should also run Ad-Aware and Spybot on a fairly regular basis...they catch quite a bit of the crap youget when you surf the net...both can be downloaded for free...and when you ahve something going on like a browser hijacking and you have the name of the culprit file, the easiest way to find out what to do is to just Google the name of the executable, in this case FraDL2.exe...usually you can find links to sites about others who have had the problem and what they have done to solve it...

When all else fails I head to Tech Support Forum and post my problem and have always received a successful solution.

Some of that spyware and virus crap gets into your registry and keeps chaning when you run a spyware removal tool making you run in circles.

I've also had a lot of luck running the free scans offered at Trend Micro

Did you try clearing out the printer que (sp) Ben?

Sometimes that's all it is....

Hope you get that resolved before the kids go bonkers on ya.... ;)

I helped someone with a similar printer and situation. Not sure if this will work with yours, but on the other persons printer it was an all in one printer, copier, and scanner and you had to manually select via buttons on the unit what mode you were using ie..printer,scanner, or copier. In this case the scanner mode was selected causing it to not print or recognize a printer. I switched it to printer and walla able to print. Not sure if this will be the case for you, but figured I'd throw that out there. Good luck and hope you get it working.

To all of you who have responded, thank you.

It WORKS! Believe it or not the only thing I had to do was unplug the damn thing from the wall and replug it in.

Don't ask me why all I care is that the printer is back working!

benjiev said:
To all of you who have responded, thank you.

It WORKS! Believe it or not the only thing I had to do was unplug the damn thing from the wall and replug it in.

Don't ask me why all I care is that the printer is back working!
[snapback]239321[/snapback]​

Besides teaching, I am one of two people (Ric is the other) responsible for all of the technology at my highschool. I can honestly say that we solve over half of the problems on campus by simply turning things off or unplugging them and then plugging everything back in and restarting. Of course we make it look a lot harder than that so everyine will grovel at our feet for tech support :rolleyes:

Until I took my current job I did maintenance for a living. I worked on anything and everything you can imagine at a hospital.
One of the more effective methods of repair / troubleshooting was the good old Whack! It was surprising how many times something would begin working after getting beat around a bit :)

If all else fails get a BFH