• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

problem with computer,

aeroswat

was trying to install a java plugin for Firefox, went to restart computer, loaded up with display problems, error message adapter type is incorrect and settings do no work with hardware. tried to change settings, but when I restart get this same message. and help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shawn

running windows 98se

aeroswat said:
was trying to install a java plugin for Firefox, went to restart computer, loaded up with display problems, error message adapter type is incorrect and settings do no work with hardware. tried to change settings, but when I restart get this same message. and help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shawn

running windows 98se
[snapback]300527[/snapback]​
De-install the Java, if that doesn't work, reinstall display driver.

If it doesn't allow you to un-install the new Java, try to remove it in Safe Mode.

Reboot the computer.
Just as Windows starts to load, press the F8 key.
Choose Safe Mode from the menu.

Try un-installing the Java.

Like Emo said, re-installing the current video drivers usually fixes a lot of video issues.

hey Emo, Geldor
thanks for the help, but this sob is making me mad. :angry2:

First I uninstalled the java, reinstalled the drivers from the disk restarted and still same error message,will get into safe mode and mess with some stuff in there to see if I can fix it, maybe its time for a new computer anyway. I'll probably spend rest of day taking this thang apart.
Thanks guys
Shawn

And when you do upgrade do yourself a favor and upgrade from Win98se... :) More than likely thats the source of your problems right there.

That last post was mine... I forgot to log Double D out before posting.

Uninstall Firefox also? I also thought windoze 98 alows you to re-install the OS over the current OS w/o affecting any other data on the computer.

Emo

emodx said:
Uninstall Firefox also? I also thought windoze 98 alows you to re-install the OS over the current OS w/o affecting any other data on the computer.

Emo
[snapback]300582[/snapback]​
I believe it will, but if I'm not mistaken, it (as well as XP) usually retains installed drivers / extensions (like Java) during a re-install.

XP has a "driver rollback" function that has saved me a time or two. I haven't fiddled with 9X os's in a while, so I don't recall if it does this or not.

If it were me, I'd:
- Uninstall Java
- Uninstall FFox
- Uninstall the video drivers

Reboot - make sure all is well and that the video card is now running a generic driver. Then, re-install:

- Video drivers
- FFox
- Java. I always get Java right off Sun's web page, and it seems to work well.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

I agree with uninstalling the video card. Make sure to have the lates drivers from the manufactuer before doing thisthough. Otherwise the drivers will be the old ones that come with 98. If you upgrade Windoze, do not install Windoze ME. This is a bigger piece of shit than the scumbags we kick outta CP!

Emo

emodx said:
I agree with uninstalling the video card. Make sure to have the lates drivers from the manufactuer before doing thisthough. Otherwise the drivers will be the old ones that come with 98. If you upgrade Windoze, do not install Windoze ME. This is a bigger piece of shit than the scumbags we kick outta CP!

Emo
[snapback]300607[/snapback]​
Here Here! At least there is a possibility, however minute, of change in behavior from any A$$hat, where the best fix for WinME is the trash.

- C

I worked on 3 Windows ME systems.

Wasn't too tough to fix ... :whistling:

Clean new install of either 2000 or XP. :thumbs:

geldor1 said:
I worked on 3 Windows ME systems.

Wasn't too tough to fix ... :whistling:

Clean new install of either 2000 or XP. :thumbs:
[snapback]300626[/snapback]​

AMEN!! :thumbs:

I'd take the XP Pro over 2000. As a consumer, there are far less compatability issues for XP than 2000. Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys
I wanna thank you all again for the info.

Tried to load drivers off of video card disk, unable to, downloaded drivers from website, will try the uninstall of video card later. just tired of messing with it. for now will just run as is.

I've been dragging my foot on upgrading even though I should have a long time ago, figured as long as it runs on internet it was ok, but this will get me to do something.

been a bad week, partly to blame on AVB :laugh:

was reading his reveiws of scotch's and decided to try some Dimple Pinch with my brother, did like the taste so we finished bottle, while standing around outside, fell off porch and broke ankle, so AVB this was your fault :D