• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Problem with keeping the humidity level in my humidor

gardkarlsen

Hi

I have a small humidor and after preparing it with a Boveda One Step Humidor Seasoning Pack I have been able to keep the humidity level pretty good with a Heartfelt Humidity Tube. But over the last year I'm having problem maintaining the humidity level in the humidor so at the moment I'm using two Heartfelt Humidity Tube and I have to refill them all the time it seems like. They dry out in the matter of three weeks and the humidity sinks to about 60%. I'm wondering if it would be worth a try to do the Boveda One Step Humidor Seasoning Pack over again to saturate the humidor over again to see if that can help. Could the problem be that the humidor is leaking? Or is this a common problem in dryer winter air?

Yes, the dry winter air requires more frequent maintenance.
A small amount of air 'leakage' is OK.

If your humidor was holding rh pretty well before winter,
just moisten the beads when the rh drops too low. 60% is
a bit low, but some prefer drier cigars.

In the summer my humi stays between 67%-70% rh, but in the
winter it drops to 62%-65% rh. I don't worry unless it gets
above 70%, which is rare, or below 63%, which is only in winter.

I use 70% beads, and maintain/check rh about once per week.

Chemyst :cool:

It really does not sound like anything to worry about. I live in NY, and during the winter months when the heat is running, I have to really jack up my humidicifaction efforts just to get to a 60-63rh. In the summer, I don't have to do anything, and my humidors stay at around 63rh. To me it just sounds like you are expereincing seasonal fluctuations in humidity.

One thing besides the good advice already given, is to check the location of your humi. Is it close to a radiator or a heat vent? Do you have it above table level on a book shelve?

If it's near a vent or radiator move it as faraway as possible to prevent the hot dry air from hitting it directly. If it is placed higher than table level bring it down as low as you can so that it is out of the hottest place in the room. Either of those situations could be helping your humi to vent/dry out your humidification devices faster than normal not to mention it could eventually warp the lid on your humidor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rob

And being in Stavenger I know you have to have that heater running...one of the coldest days of my life was on an airfield their watching my guys put a prop on a C-130. Icy cold and windy. Never had a chance to be there in the warmer months- my guys told me it's beautiful up there in the late spring.

R

Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far. I keep the humidor in a closet of mine and it is the coldest part of the flat. I just feel that the humidity sinks faster now than what it used to when I first got the humidor. Maybe I just have to refill with water more often :)

I have 70 % Rh beads as well, and I watch my humidity levels and perform maintenance every week. As long as I don't see my Rh drop below 60 - 63 or so I don't fret. Also remember depending on what meter you are using, there is usually a +/- 1- 3 % in the accuracy of the reading. However, as stated above as long as your humidity is sitting of 60% you really have nothing to worry about.

Nick C