• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Propper Adhesive in a Humidor

forehead

Ok, so here is my dilemma.. I have been smoking cigars for a few years now, but haven’t REALLY got into it until recently. My uncle gave me this book on cigars and now they fascinate me. My wife got me a humidor online and though it is nice, it is definitely not top of the line. There is the humidifier and the humidity gauge that are attached to the lid. Now, they are attached by velcro, and the velcro is attached by some type of adhesive to the underside of the lid and the gauges themselves. The adhesive's are not working, and i was wondering if there is a special type of glue or tape that would work to keep the gauges in place.

I hope I don't sound like too much of a "newb" by asking this question. Buying another humidor is out of the question for a while, and I have a few cigars I received for my birthday I need to store soon.

-Ryan

I'm not sure if there's a special adhesive or not, but I would think any velcro would do the trick here. Put the tape on the back of the hygrometer and humidifier, put the other sides on the lid of the humidor, and let them sit for a couple days before attaching them. Also, there's no reason at all that the humidifier and hygrometer have to be attached to the lid of the humidifier. You can leave them right on the tray of the humi.

Welcome to Cigar Pass. Head on over to the Intro forum and introduce yourself. Believe me when I tell you that if you stay here long enough, cigars will go beyond an object of fascination to a full on obsession.

I can just leave it on the bottom of the Humidor? Perfect. That makes life so much easier. Thank you.

I can just leave it on the bottom of the Humidor? Perfect. That makes life so much easier. Thank you.

I stand mine on up a little...to get a little air 'around' the device.

Any velcro will work.

On my new humidor the tape wouldn't stick to the top. I just took it out and put in a container with heartfelt. That was the easy fix.

3M makes a variety of tapes that are designed for humid conditions. Sometimes you can find them at your local hardware store.

I had custom made magnets for the Puck-ifier that uses a 3m VHB (very high bond) adhesive.

I hope this helps

~Mark

I don't know how big your humidor is, but my first was a 300 ct. I found that I got way different humidity readings with the hygrometer attached to the lid vs. having it sitting in the tray. Furthermore, I got different readings with it in the bottom of the humidor vs. having it sitting in the top tray. You may want to consider moving it around inside the humidor every few days to try and gain some sort of average. I ended up being convinced that I need to rotate the cigars around (from bottom to top). I do this every few months.

Edit to add: In my humidor that has floral foam humidifiers, they are attached with magnets, not velcro - and they've never given me a problem. Maybe there's less stress on the adhesive with magnets vs. that tearing action when you separate velcro. My other humidor has an Oasis. :)

I've found that with the larger, heavier humidifiers, instead of using a couple small squares of velcro, use as much as you can. I think the more surface area, the less likely it will pull off. Worked for me.

I crazy glued a large washer to the humidor and a magnet to the my humidifier to keep it in place.

Marcos

One of my very firs humi's did that too, I simply just left it sit on the bottom, or on the cigars. I would go with the 3M, or just let it rest on the bottom. Either way isn't going to do any harm.

What I do is this.

I scuff the cedar with some sand paper where you are going to apply the metal peace to the lid.

scuff the metal piece as well. Add 5 drops of super glue one to each corner and one in the middle
and stick it to the lid. That should help with keeping the humidifer in place.

If you notice with some hockey puck or bar humidifers that have vents in the back, which will send moisture to the lid.