• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Propylene Glycol for anti fungal or?

ads47

For those of you with larger humidors with larger humidifiers, what do you use as an antifungal agent? I heard some say they use PG instead of distilled water in there tank. When I moved my humidor yesterday after getting the Bomb of a lifetime from Moki, I noticed the tank was a little slimy. It had been about a week since I cleaned it, but it worried me. So I washed and rinsed everything with a bleach solution to make sure there was no growth. All is fine, there is no mold, but wandering what those do that leave there humidors closed for extended periods about fungal growth. The ambient temp in my home and humidor is 70 degrees, so I dont think temp was the problem.

thanks
ads47

Ya know, I was told to mix this 50/50 with distilled water. No fungal problems, but when I try to recharge my creedos...They dont seem to want to soak up the solution very well any more....so its back to distilled water for me!

It's been a while since I used a credo type humidifier but I believe PG will clog them up eventually. The best solution for avoiding fungi/mold is to go with Climmax 65% beads. Problem solved :D

STYX&STONED said:
Ya know, I was told to mix this 50/50 with distilled water. No fungal problems, but when I try to recharge my creedos...They dont seem to want to soak up the solution very well any more....so its back to distilled water for me!
As I understand it, using 50/50 mix, or more specifically the PG is only once in a while, like maybe once a year or so. As I understand it, PG evaporates much slower than the distilled water does- so recharge the device with 50/50 once every 12 months or so, and use distilled water only the rest of the time... Thats what I do.

I understand that with the sponge type units, but my humidor is like 60x36x18 and runs a Moist-n-Aire unit. Matt at Avallo is making me an accumonitor unit with four humidifers and four extra fans. This is the first humidor I have had that actually had water tank of some kind, all the rest have been with paradign or credo type units.
I am new to the whole bead concept, and will read up on it soon, as it seems lots of people on here use them. Whats the recovery time for those of you with larger humidors or coolidors when you open up the unit until the humidty climbs back up. I have a couple salt calibrated hygrometers with a fairly fast response time, and was surprised how quickly the humidity can drop, say when rearranging. Of course the sticks arent dropping that quickly but the air is. Yesterday after reloading and rearranging the unit (it was empty for about an hour) the Moist-n-Aire ran for like 45min. The new system wont run near as much with four smaller units spread through out the unit. I had never even considered a bead type system since I didnt think they were that effecient on larger units, am I wrong?

ads47

I've got a 17 cu ft humi and I use a Moist-N-Air and distilled water, no additives at all.