• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch Punch

Advil

Here's my first CP review.

Had a Punch Punch today, my second out of my box from January of 07. One of my all time favorite smokes, always nub 'em!

We'll start off with some pron. Why not, right?

Nothing like a freshly cracked box of Havana goodness!
n1182240114300888146572xa9.jpg

My attempt at an artsy shot.
n1182240114300888136225ic4.jpg

Alrighty lets get this started. We'll start off with pre-light.

Build quality of this cigar was top-notch. Perfectly rolled wrapper, nicely bunched filler, and smells great. It's somewhat firm, but has a slight kick-back when squeezed. This is consistent throughout the cigar. The triple cap is perfectly applied and almost looks like it's too perfect to be true! This is definitely one cigar that makes you appreciate the skill of the rollers down in the ISOM.

Starting it up:
After a clip with my Palio and toast and light with my blazer, I've got a picture perfect burn and very dark ash. As with my previous experience with this particular cigar, the draw was a little on the tight side. I don't know if this is an issue due to my storage (65% beads in a cooler) or just common with this vitola. It's not plugged, but a tad tighter than I like. It was nothing that bothered me too much, but it did come to mind.

Flavors came in as soon as I had it lit. What I love about this cigar is that it's a great deviation from my regular full bodied, spicy smokes that leave me on my ass. Flavors I noticed were a creamy, almost sweet type of wood. Smoke was plentiful but still very light and smooth on the palate. This is one cigar I can pass through my nose without many problems, yes I'm a wuss :p

img0302op1.jpg

(crappy pic from the iPhone, but a gorgeous ash nonetheless!)

As I said before, the woody taste almost had a sweet aroma. I could almost describe it as being a vanilla-esque tinge that I really enjoy. Along with the woody taste of this stick, there's an apparent hint of leather and maybe coffee. It's starting to sound like a french vanilla frappachino isn't it? Well not quite, but it's still damn good!

Towards the end, or last third of the cigar there is a slight burst of spice, raw-tobacco flavor and strength. Nothing to make you buzz really but enough to notice that you just had a decent sized cigar. Does that make sense? Didn't think so... but you know what I mean :whistling: As I said before, this is by no means a spicy cigar, but the very end of it does have a small hint of pepper that stays on the tip of your tongue. It could be because the cigar burns a little hotter towards the end, or maybe it's just the blend. But the spice is so slight that I can smoke it at any time I feel I just want a good creamy smoke.

You'll have to excuse my noobish palate, I'm not exactly the most descriptive taster out there, but I do know whats good and what isn't! And if it's good to me, then it's a damn good cigar and you should buy it! Joking of course. But definitely pick one of these up if you can. It's one of those cigars you'll always want to have a few of in the humidor for sure!

I can honestly say that this is the only cigar I've ever had and could never have enough of with just one. I can seriously light up 3 or 4 of these back to back and never get sick of them.

This pic is from a different day, but this is how they tend to end up.
img0251ko2.jpg

P.S - If I didn't make sense or started rambling anywhere in this post, I apologize in advance. It's 3:30 AM and I can't sleep. And I want another Punch Punch!

Nice review bro.

I smoked my first one of these cigars over 20 years ago and have been smoking them on and off ever since. I don't praise many ISOM's but these are one of the ones I like.

Good on ya :D

Very nice review!

I'm surprised you are finding all those flavors in a one year old Punch Punch. I'm smoking out of a 1997 box and they are truly wonderful, very much what you describe
in your review.

I'm finding that a fair amount of ISOM's are smoking well young, RASS, BGM come to mind, I haven't smoked a young Punch so I cannot comment on them. Is it just me or is Cuba
doing something different to have more young smokes taste better? ???

Brian

Thanks for the compliments, this is only my second ever review :) I really enjoy writing them!

Infinity, who knows, but for a year old I'm very happy with these!

I'm willing to trade you one for one of yours :D

Although you do say that the flavor is very similar, so maybe it's not worth it? Oh well :p I also have a year old cab of Bolivar Belicoso Finos, I'll post a review of those soon enough!

Next on my list is a box of RASS with two years on them from a good friend.

Nice review. Can't say I've ever tried one, but I heard good things about punch.

I had a Padron 2000 tonight and it threw me on my ass as you say (best description ever!). I'll give these sweeties a try...

Cool review. I actually had a PP from 05 a week ago and it was great. Only issue I had was the wrapper seemed a little delicate. I felt like I had to be extra careful with it. Cracked a little towards the end but nothing that effected the experience.

Love the Punch Punch. I have had some of these where the ash held on well over halfway. The only other cigars that do that with me are the Davidoff Gran Cru line.

You are right when you say it is a good change from other smokes. i always keep these in rotation because of that fact.

These are one of my very favorites!! Nice review!!

Jim

Thanks for the review!

I miss having these in the rotation. I should make getting another box a priority. I love the Corona Gorda size, too.

Great review you make me want to get one even more now. Punch is my favorite brand of NC. Punch Champion is the first and only box i have bought so far. I have never had any CC cigars and would love to have a Punch for my first. Hoping to get into a few trades to get some when i get more time on the site.