• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Purchased first pipe today

yogimon

I'm a vsg whore
I purchased a Savinelli pipe. Also got some Burley & Aromatics to try. They all taste good. Now i just have to get better at packing the pipe it keeps going out. I guess live & learn.

John

I purchased a Savinelli pipe. Also got some Burley & Aromatics to try. They all taste good. Now i just have to get better at packing the pipe it keeps going out. I guess live & learn.

John

Welcome PIPER! :thumbs:
It all comes with a bit of practice and patience.

Just started smoking a pipe couple weeks ago myself. Hang in there. It gets better with each bowl. Haven't gotten it completely right yet myself but I'm getting there. The rewards are tremendous. Looking forward to trying lots of blends and of course scoring a few more pipes. :D
I love cigars but something about the pipe is just so relaxing. Like a mini-vacation. Plus my wife loves the smell of the smoke. Which isn't the case with cigars. Makes it nice for the winter months.

Congrats on the pipe!

Do not worry about the re-lights too much. I always have to re-light a couple times during a bowl. Multiple light ups only goes against you if you are in a contest. :)

Welcome! The pipe forum is really gaining steam here at CP! :D

Relights are as much a part of smoking a pipe as anything else. You'll get the packing to your preference and you may still have to relight a time or three. I concentrate more on what the packing does to the flavor of the tobacco, not necessarily on how many times I have to relight. Each tobacco is a little different and it's all part of the fun.

Good luck!

Multiple lights is part of the experience. Do a few searches on Delayed Gratification Technique; I've not yet tried it, but apparently it is Pure Gold with pipes, whereas such a thing would be pure feces with a cigar. Amazing how the two differ.

welcome!

i always tell newcomers to invest in some cobs, especially if you are sampling through
aromatics.

Multiple lights is part of the experience. Do a few searches on Delayed Gratification Technique; I've not yet tried it, but apparently it is Pure Gold with pipes, whereas such a thing would be pure feces with a cigar. Amazing how the two differ.
This all depends on the blend. Some blends it is wonderful, some it is pure feces. Experimentation is the key to finding what works for you and what doesn't. I steer well clear of most aromatics when employing DGT.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I have really been inpressed with the difference of the flavors of the tobaccos compared to cigars. I didn't realize there was so much difference. This will be a quicker smoke and it also puts off a better smell for inside. Well i've got pipe cleaned so i guess it's time to fire up a bowl. :laugh:

This all depends on the blend. Some blends it is wonderful, some it is pure feces. Experimentation is the key to finding what works for you and what doesn't. I steer well clear of most aromatics when employing DGT.

Thanks for the tip on that. I'll try it with one of Boswell's Burley Blends when I get around to it.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I have really been inpressed with the difference of the flavors of the tobaccos compared to cigars. I didn't realize there was so much difference. This will be a quicker smoke and it also puts off a better smell for inside. Well i've got pipe cleaned so i guess it's time to fire up a bowl. :laugh:

Yogimon, don't forget to let your pipe dry out between smokes. I think the research done on the net was that pipes tend to do best when they're given 48 hours between smokes. Your pipe will not explode into a thousand splinters if you smoke more often, though. You'll probably just need to sweeten sooner.