• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quality Aromatics

ZiZiJohn

Hi there, pipe denizens--

Over the past eight months or so, I've transitioned from smoking mainly cigars to smoking mostly pipes. Coming as I did from a rotation of unflavored cigar tobacco, I have tended to enjoy mostly English and Virginia-type pipe blends, while the few aromatics I've tried have left a bad taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively. Those around me, however, tend to appreciate the smoke from a cheap cherry-topped aromatic over the aroma of perique or latakia, much to my dismay.

My question for veteran pipe-smokers is this: is there an "aromatic" that you reach for when you don't want to alienate non-smoking loved ones, something that smells pleasant to the uneducated nose but provides a reasonable, pleasant complexity of taste? I've heard the old saws about aromatic tobaccos' taste bearing an inverse relationship to their scent, but I sense that there's something out there for me to smoke in the company of friends. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

About the only aromatic I'll smoke these days is Scotty's Butternut Burley from pipesandcigars.com

Stolen from my "What's in your pipe thread" post today...

Stanwell's The Rose and Crown Easy Flake - Very fruity with a pronounced cinnamon note. I was able to pack the bowl using the fold, pinch and push method (Thanks to Mr. Wolf for the video that showed me how) with no trouble.

I have to force myself to smoke this tobacco slower, I found my pipe getting hot when smoking the flake like a normal tobacco. Smelled as good as it tasted, I actually had one of my lunchtime smokers group move downwind of me because he liked the smell that much. Highly recommended if you like a fruit blend.

*edit* Hell, I can still smell it on my mustache around 20 minutes later and am enjoying it.

I'm mostly an english blend smoker and always have been (got the Captain Black out of my system fast) but I'd smoke this almost every day with no hesitation. Just remember your smoking a pipe to make yourself happy, and I wouldn't worry too much about pleasing those around you.

Another "light" aromatic I enjoy is Ashton Smooth Sailing.

If you'd like to try the Rose & Crown, let me know and I'll send you a few sheets from my tin.

Shawn

*edit* Alan (lilbastage) recommended I get a thick walled pipe with a small bowl for flake. and here is a link to the video Mr. Wolf hooked me up with on how to smoke it...

http://www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Expert-Kn...ill-a-pipe.aspx

About the only aromatic I'll smoke these days is Scotty's Butternut Burley from pipesandcigars.com

I still smoke this one and a few blends from Boswell's. All of the aros I've sampled from Boswell's have been quality blends, it was just a matter of finding the flavors I enjoyed.

Pennsylvania Dutch Treat is one of my favorite aromatics.

I like the premium aromatics from McClellands such as captain cool.

Also, eggnog from pipesandcigars.com and autumn evening from Cornell & Diehl are ones I enjoy. I dont like those goopy aromatics. The ones I mentioned all arent overbearing and burn to a nice clean ash.

:thumbs:

McClelland 2050 - Oriental Cavendish

If you love latakia, you might not like this because it doesn't have any but I like it a lot. If you don't like it, I bet your buddies fall in love.

It is a bulk tabacco so it is really quite reasonable.

Hi there, pipe denizens--

Over the past eight months or so, I've transitioned from smoking mainly cigars to smoking mostly pipes. Coming as I did from a rotation of unflavored cigar tobacco, I have tended to enjoy mostly English and Virginia-type pipe blends, while the few aromatics I've tried have left a bad taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively. Those around me, however, tend to appreciate the smoke from a cheap cherry-topped aromatic over the aroma of perique or latakia, much to my dismay.

My question for veteran pipe-smokers is this: is there an "aromatic" that you reach for when you don't want to alienate non-smoking loved ones, something that smells pleasant to the uneducated nose but provides a reasonable, pleasant complexity of taste? I've heard the old saws about aromatic tobaccos' taste bearing an inverse relationship to their scent, but I sense that there's something out there for me to smoke in the company of friends. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
I smoke to alienate non-smoking loved ones. It's the only way I get any peace and quiet. So, I can't help you out. I have heard, however, that McClellands makes arros with quality tobacco.

Doc.

Wow--

Thank you all very much for your responses and suggestions, and for not giving me too hard a time--I was half-expecting to get laughed out the door, given the general(ly well-deserved) attitude toward aromatics that I've seen on this forum. I do plan eventually to become an irascible old curmudgeon who smokes only threepenny nails and live wolverines, but I've got a while to make the transition and I'd love to taste what's out there without spending too much on tobacco I don't like.

I look forward to seeking out all of the blends mentioned, and appreciate the help!

John

I really enjoy Butternut Burley, probably my favorite tobacco that is considered aromatic. It's quality burley, with a light topping. The tobacco flavor rerally comes through though. It's a great smoke and those around you will love it. I like to mix it with a bit of Carter Hall to mellow out the flavor.

The Boswell blends are pretty good too, but I tend to get that artificial flavor in my mouth after smoking them. Those around you will love the smell.

Another quality leaf that you may consider is McClellands bulk #5100 (Red Cake). It's a wonderful quality non-aromatic red virginia that is really tasty and sweet, and I've received compliments on the room note of that one. I'd highly recommend it as something to try.

Wow--

Thank you all very much for your responses and suggestions, and for not giving me too hard a time--I was half-expecting to get laughed out the door, given the general(ly well-deserved) attitude toward aromatics that I've seen on this forum. I do plan eventually to become an irascible old curmudgeon who smokes only threepenny nails and live wolverines, but I've got a while to make the transition and I'd love to taste what's out there without spending too much on tobacco I don't like.

I look forward to seeking out all of the blends mentioned, and appreciate the help!

John

I think you'll find that pipe smokers in general, and especially those on this forum, are a friendly lot. That has been my experience, anyway.

Smoke what you like. Anybody that judges you harshly for that is not worth your time. Of course a little ribbing now and again keeps us all on our toes. :laugh:

HAHAA...

I want to see the three-step packing technique for smoking live wolverines!

The great thing about pipe tobacco, there are thousands of blends, and they're very reasonably priced... I mean for five to 10 dollars you can get an ounce or more. That's plenty to decide if you like it, without spending a fortune.
Alan said it right... smoke what YOU like. You'll be a happier person for it!

I also love the Mcc 5100 Red Cake. Seems I'm turning into a Va smoker from a Burley smoker. You can get 4 oz of Red Cake for $12.50 from 4noggins... I put a little SG Golden Glow with my Red Cake, seems to be my favorite.

Peterson Sunset Breeze was popular at one time. I haven't seen it mentioned here for awhile and I haven't had a tin in awhile either.

Da Vinci is a good aromatic. If I want one of those, I will take a pipe full of that. I can rave about this all day long. Most find it to be a pleasant smell while a real tobacco like Amazon thats 7% Nicotine acts like a nice repellent. :thumbs:

I used to enjoy Peterson pipe tobacco till I got into tobacco from Dunhill and MacBaren's.

I'll second this one. Although I aromatics are officially off the rotation. I think I still have a jar with several different bulk aromatics from like three years ago. Do aromatics age?

I also suggest butternut burley,im not a fan of it but alot of people like it.

I also love the Mcc 5100 Red Cake. Seems I'm turning into a Va smoker from a Burley smoker. You can get 4 oz of Red Cake for $12.50 from 4noggins... I put a little SG Golden Glow with my Red Cake, seems to be my favorite.
I'm pretty sure neither of those are aromatics but as I happen to have both I think I'll try mixin em up. Thanx for the suggestion!

I'm also unsure if Carter Hall is an aromatic but it has a flavor I like and is available at most places that sell any pipe tobacco. Sweet mild and nutty with no bite.

Steve