• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quality between years?

Jeff

What is the difference in quality between the different years and why? For instance I know when it comes to wine that there are many variables throughtout the growing season. Is this the same with isom's? I would assume that since we are dealing with an organic material that the answer would be yes depending on rainfall sunshine ect... What years are better than others? Say for the last 10 years what have some of the better and also some of the worst years been?

Jeff, It doesnt quite work that way with tobacco, if they have a bad year it is usually due to storm damage or something like that. Apparently there are alot of variables in the curing of the tobacco ,how long the tobacco is bundled and turned and for what period of time it is cured. There is alot more to it than i understand but in similiarity to wine all the right elements must come together but it takes alot more than just the right leaf. See Time Life video Cigars from seeds to smoke #V002-38 Shot on the Fuente plantation gives some good info.

Jeff, my knowledge is limited on specifics of this but, some of the difference comes in when Habanos SA chaneges the blend of a particular vitola. This has happened over the years and most notably in the last 10 years. The difference in a 1980's Monte #4 and a 1990's is huge. Understand most of this comes word of mouth as I didn't smoke in the '80's. So, besides the obvious mellowing of the leaf through the agig process it is also the blend change that makes a difference. As far as great years and o.k. years, that would have to be answered by someone who has been smoking the same sizes over the last 10-20 years and has been smoking them without much age on 'em to gain a real accurate assessment. My .02 cents.

Are there any years that should be avoided in the last 5? I doubt that I will have anything older than that anyway. If you are buying say cigars from the year 2000, about when would you consider them ready to start smoking. I know this must vary with the different brands and also storage conditions. But as a general rule is 1 year acceptable to begin on them or do they need more than that?

I think in general terms one year is good time to start smoking them. Two years of course would be better. But, some people prefer their cigars young. I know I like a "new" BBF a lot better than one that is two years old. It has a bit more of a kick. A HdM Epi #2 though I would prefer the older the better. As the cigar ages it becomes more complex and mellows. I have some Monte #2's that are from 9/00 that are very unattractive but smoke great right now. Different smokes enter and leave their "sick"periods at different times. I would ask your tobacconist for his suggestions as to when a particular smoke will be "ready to smoke." Though I feel it will be hard to tell about the 2000 crop of smokes, especially the later in the year ones. They used some H2000 wrapper, which has now been discontinued because of it's poor quality. Best to ask before you buy on these kinds of purchases. A trusted source will reveal his opinions openly. Long winded opinion huh? :)

Matt, Not long winded at all . I appreciate the response. Im looking for all of the info I can get. I had forgotten about that h2000 wrapper. I had heard that the 99's were not as good in qulity because they were trying to push 200 million cigars on the market and they failed at that as well. Ive also been told that the much older Isoms were much better than today!! I guess Ill stick to those.
Anyone have any 1989 and earlier they want to get rid of?? If they have that crystally white stuff on them they arent any good anyway!!

Wow Sammy, that is a post! You inspired me to go smoke a 'gar right now! If you don't mind me asking, how do you know so much about the sweat leaf? I mean, I knew some of that stuff, but you sound like you have A) recently read a book on the cultivation of tobacco or B) have toured a factory or something. Just curious.:biggrin: