• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

questions about aging Fuentes

SMOKE!

I have a variety of Fuentes including some Anejos and a few Opus X. Most of mine are the Chateau Fuente or Rothchild. How long do I have to age these before I notice an improved flavor? The Opus and Anejo will be in the humi for several months to a year since these are hard to find. The other easy to find Fuentes are a favorite of mine, but I am wondering if I should just keep the ones I have in the humidor and let them rest while I smoke the new stock that I buy. Will there be a big difference in flavor in 6 months? I had a few cigars that I "forgot" about at the bottom of my humidor for about 4 or 5 months and they really seemed to have the edge taken off of them when I got around to smoking them. I just have a small desktop humidor, so aging lots of sticks isnt really an option right now. I dont really have any experience with cigars that are aged over 6 to 10 months other than the Opus I am getting ready to light up right now. I have had it in my humi for a year, so I am hoping for some magic tonight. I also have a few Diamond Crown Maximus sitting around, should I let them age?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Rob

Ageing (for lack of better term) shows the greatest impact to a young cigar. I'm not sure what wrapper is on your cigars, but 6 months would be a good time to start smoking the maduro or sungrown cigars. Natural or candela wrapped cigars seem to loose their edge very quickly. As far as the diamond crown's go, they are rolled using super premium tobacco with a good bit of age before rolling. I'd suspect they show less improvement than regular cigars go. Just my observations.

Emo

I'm not the authority, but IMO age does not hurt any of the Fuentes cigars. However, I personally haven't notice the character of my Fuentes change as much over time like ISOM's can. All I can guess is that AF does a good job "aging" their cigars before they leave the factory. Plume, that another story……

Brent

I have heard Opus X are better with a few years on em. I'm not much of an Opus fan so I can't state that with much certainity.

Most of my Fuentes are just the regular wrapper, isnt it Connecticut shade grown? I confuse some of the wrappers, I know what they are at some point and then I forget. I dont have any ISOMs, so I dont have to worry about ageing those. Those DCs are pretty good right out of the box and Emodx made a good point about DCs already having some age on them. I'm just hoping those Fuentes will get a little better with some age. They are my favorite, but I always end up wishing they were just a little better.

From my experience, the flavor profile of most Fuente natural wrapper cigars doesnt change much from 9 months to 2 years. Not much natural ingrediants to get any better

The only Fuentes that I truly notice a big difference in is the Opus and Anejo lines. I insist that mine have atleast a year on them before I find them enjoyable. On these lines, the more age the better. And man can they be damn good!! The other Fuente lines that I have I have not really noticed that much of a change, except with maybe the candela which is a rare treat for an odd mood.