• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions about smoke, aroma, etc.

William Wonkum

I have noticed that with all the cigars I've smoked, the smell/aroma of the smoke from the lit end (foot) and the actual smoke drawn into the mouth from the head of the cigar smell very different. Before any experience with cigars I would have guessed that they would smell very similar, being that it is the smell of burning tobacco from the same cigar. I noticed that the smoke drawn from the head, the smoke we taste, smells so much better and adds another dimension to the experience for me. Periodically while smoking a cigar, I exhale gently close in front of me just so I can take a good whiff of the drawn smoke. The smoke from the lit end, however, I find quite harsh and not as enjoyable to take a good whiff of. Is this because the drawn smoke gets "filtered" through the cigar? Whereas the smoke directly from the lit end is "unfiltered"?

Another set of questions: As we continually draw smoke through a cigar, does the smoke that passes through the cigar change the properties of the tobacco? Is this one of the factors that affect the change in flavor and characteristics of the cigar as the cigar gets shorter? Meaning, the tobacco closer to the head of the cigar undergoes more heat and smoke that pass through it, so is that part of the reason why the latter lengths of the cigar taste different than the initial lengths and middle lengths?

I'm asking just to learn more about cigars. I hope these thoughts and questions aren't confusing. I tried my best to search for related posts and proof read this post so I don't sound like a rambling fool. Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

William

I have noticed that with all the cigars I've smoked, the smell/aroma of the smoke from the lit end (foot) and the actual smoke drawn into the mouth from the head of the cigar smell very different. Before any experience with cigars I would have guessed that they would smell very similar, being that it is the smell of burning tobacco from the same cigar. I noticed that the smoke drawn from the head, the smoke we taste, smells so much better and adds another dimension to the experience for me. Periodically while smoking a cigar, I exhale gently close in front of me just so I can take a good whiff of the drawn smoke. The smoke from the lit end, however, I find quite harsh and not as enjoyable to take a good whiff of. Is this because the drawn smoke gets "filtered" through the cigar? Whereas the smoke directly from the lit end is "unfiltered"?

Another set of questions: As we continually draw smoke through a cigar, does the smoke that passes through the cigar change the properties of the tobacco? Is this one of the factors that affect the change in flavor and characteristics of the cigar as the cigar gets shorter? Meaning, the tobacco closer to the head of the cigar undergoes more heat and smoke that pass through it, so is that part of the reason why the latter lengths of the cigar taste different than the initial lengths and middle lengths?

I'm asking just to learn more about cigars. I hope these thoughts and questions aren't confusing. I tried my best to search for related posts and proof read this post so I don't sound like a rambling fool. Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

William

IMHO, I think you have answered all you questions.
I have been smoking a little over a year now.
I also smoke similar to the way you smoke while smoking a cigar,
"I exhale gently close in front of me just so I can take a good whiff of the drawn smoke.".
I do this quite often as I do enjoy the smell of this smoke more than the standing room smoke.
But as time went on, I noticed the difference in the taste of the smoke when it is blown
out differently. When I let out the smoke gradually the flavor to me is much more fuller
and flavorful. When I blow (force) the smoke out I get a creamier taste than letting
it out gradually.

As you get further near the end of your stick, there will be more nicotine build-up, which will
then of course make the cigar into a fuller smoke.
Smoking to fast can drastically change the taste also, making it hot and harsh.

This just my opinion. I hope this helped.

William

Wow, I never thought of that before. I'll have to conduct my own experiments and pay more attention.