• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions for you hardcore guys

jabba

For you guys that smoke two or more cigars per day...

Do you nub your cigars usually?

Do you find that nubbing wears out your palate?(for the day) Meaning you pick up less nuances in flavour in you second, third, fourth cigars of the day?

I've smoked 3 to 4 cigars a day for 35 yrs. That's over 30,000 cigars. :0 My palate is what it is, and I nub every cigar I smoke, because I don't smoke shity cigars. I don't have any trouble discerning the nuances in any cigar. I personally think people around here worry to much about such things, but that's what happens when you turn a vice into a hobby ;)

Doc.

I've smoked 3 to 4 cigars a day for 35 yrs. That's over 30,000 cigars. :0 My palate is what it is, and I nub every cigar I smoke, because I don't smoke shity cigars. I don't have any trouble discerning the nuances in any cigar. I personally think people around here worry to much about such things, but that's what happens when you turn a vice into a hobby ;)

Doc.

LMAO, and have to agree. I've only been smoking cigars for 25 years, and, like Doc, pretty much nub them all; even the ones I get from friends or in trades that I really don't care for as much as my regular daily selection. I keep hoping they will get better, and they usually don't!

Cigars, to me, are either sweet or bitter, smooth or harsh, produce large or small amounts of smoke, and draw easily or not. If the combination of the above is what I like, I keep that particular cigar in my rotation.

Like any other habit, if I over indulge on a given day, they all start tasting bad. I figure it's my tongue, throat, and lungs asking for some relief.

I guess my point is, if you like a particular cigar, for whatever reason, don't worry about whether or not it's a "refined" smoke with all the proper nuances of taste and flavor, just smoke it. If it starts tasting a bit weird after the 5th or 6th smoke of the day, it might just be your body asking for a break!!

Nah - I don't nub ALL of the smokes I get into.
I mainly smoke multiple cigars<3-4> weekends.
I do smoke to the band on most!! :D

I sure don't have the "cockpit time" that Jack Straw or Devil Doc have, but I'm a one a day on weekdays, two to three a day on weekends kind of guy.

Do I nub them? Depends. I don't smoke shitty cigars either, but every now and then, one will strike me "wrong" and there's no sense in prolonging a bad expreience. But, truth is, most of them burn my fingers before they hit the tray.

Does nubbing them wear out my palate? Not a chance. If they are good enough to run to the end, they are good enough to enjoy, to not toast my palate, and only make me look forward to the next one. Long and short of it is that a good cigar will only enliven and envigorate my desire for another. Simple as that.

FWIW - B.B.S.

Wish I had the time to smoke 2 or 3 every day. I once smoked 4 in one day and was not feeling all that good after the 4th one. I guess I am a lightweight. But I enjoy every cigar I do smoke, all the way down to the very last hot puff.

When I'm at work I smoke at least two, on rare occasions four, I believe my record is five. I usually do not smoke to the nub however, I usually have about an inch remainder. Even with the good quality cigars I usually smoke(Davidoffs, Anejo, RyJ Vintage, Padron regular line), I only tend to burn my fingers with PAMs and VSGs.

I find on occasion that I do have to take a small break (a few days) from smoking to give it a rest but I do nub virtually every cigar. The last 1/3 is often the best!

~M

My commute smokes get nubbed, but then again, they are usually pretty small (Sig 1s, Party SHorts, Cafe au Laits, etc). If I'm sitting around after work and smoke a bigger cigar, it isn't rare at all to only smoke to around where the band would be (I almsot always take it off), perhaps a tad further.

Hey, I guess I'm in the minority here. I usually only smoke about 1/2 of the cigar...sometimes 2/3rds. It's a time thing for me...It's hard to justify the seat time if the cigar goes bad. I smoke it while it's good and on the first bad puff...it goes right in the trash.

I decided that cigar smoking wasn't going to be about "getting my money's worth"....

I remember reading an article on the Davidoff webpage (I think) that talked about smoking. There was a quote that was something like "A gentleman never smokes a cigar more than half-way." or something...I looked around for a link but couldn't find the article. Of course, they are in the business of selling cigars, so take it with a grain of salt.

Still, it's pure enjoyment and relaxation for me. I also don't have any tolerance for a plugged cigar. I've had a lot better luck with the draw since I switched to 65% beads (from PG 50/50). I live in Florida and also only travel with sealed (Otterboxes) containers. I used to have lots of plugged cigars, not so many lately.

For the record, I only smoke a cigar or 2 per week, sometimes less. I'm just not putting up with a bad one.

I smoke one or two cigars a day.

I usually nub them unless they are plugged or I just do not like them.

That last 1/4 is a great part of the cigar.

I smoke 1-2 a day on average and I generally smoke them until the experience is over. Sometimes it is ended early by taste, sometimes by interruption (read wife), or sometimes a perticular smoke will just tell me when it's time. Like when it falls over the railing of the boat into the ocean while I am baiting a rig.

PS - Fishing bait tastes BAD when smoked

Keep smoking and don't worry, they WILL make more.

Fish

The reason why I put the question out there is because I notice when I smoke something really good and toss it with 1/3rd to 1/4 left I crave another cigar that same day but when I nub a cigar I generally find it leaves my palate feeling dirty and I don't want to smoke for a few days. Also, I find when I nub I wake up the next day still with that aftertaste. Also, I find that Cubans smoke much cleaner than NCs in general.