• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick Coolerdor Question

cincycigarman

I have one of the large Igloo coolers (150 qt. plus) from Costco, with the slots for shelves. I've had it since the summer, and yesterday decided to finally try to stand it upright and put wire shelves in it. When I stood it up on a table, the cooler was very wobbly and I had trouble getting to stand up securely.

For those of you using these larger coolers like this, has anyone come up with any clever ideas for keeping these secure in an upright position???? I have mine on a workbench in the basement right now. I did see an old old post where someone was selling accessories for coolerdors, like better latches, internal components, and a nice base for these things, something like that sure would be nice.

Knowing there are tons of Coolerdor related topics on the forum, I tried to search for some comments related to this, and was surprised to not find anything. Just curious if anyone using a cooler like this has encountered the same problems and if so, what you've done to deal with it?

One thing you could do is use a 2x2' base of plywood, and run some bolts from underneath up through the cooler, then secure with a nut. Then get something to seal up around where the bolts protrude into the cooler.

Regarding the shelves, I chose not to use wire shelves and instead used 1/4" cedar veneer plywood. I know that wire shelves are preferred for reasons of air flow and consistency, however what I did is just be sure there were an inch or two of clearance on each side of shelf. Also you could drill holes in the shelf for air flow. What I prefer about the solid shelf is that I can place singles on there, whereas they just fall through the wire shelving.

I took the plastic handle off..... comes off with two screws

Went to my home center and bought plastic door stops.... they look like a wedge. I secured them with double sided tape to the bottom of the cooler.... worked great

I'll see if I can get some pics of the old cooler

Do you feel you can get more in there if the cooler is placed on end rather than just sitting in it's normal position? I have mine sitting on it's bottom with the lid opening on top, but it is at capacity, that's why I ask.

Do you feel you can get more in there if the cooler is placed on end rather than just sitting in it's normal position? I have mine sitting on it's bottom with the lid opening on top, but it is at capacity, that's why I ask.

I think the way yours are set up maximizes capacity, however I find that it's easier to find stuff with a vertical set up. Less digging.

digging is good, I find stuff I forgot about.

Thanks Gonz and Bkcloud114, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

My coolerdor is not bursting at the seams (yet), so I am gonna give one of these a shot tonight. I'll probably try the door stop idea first so I don't have to drill into the cooler, and see how that goes.

Thanks Andy. Yep, it is a pain to get to the bottom at times, but I try to fit the stuff I need to age down there and only go there once every couple months to check for beetles and such, open them up and give them some fresh air, that kind of thing.

Sorry this took so long for me to post some pics

This was the way I set up my cooler when I first got it...

45fc61be.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

This was what I used to keep it upright....

IMG_4323.jpg

Thanks, Tommy. I took your suggestion and did the same thing, I'll try to take some pics of my set-up and post them this weekend. It is working perfectly so far, a very simple, low cost way to steady an upright cooler.

Tommy, what size Igloo is that? It looks like a marine cooler to me, and perfect for what I need. TIA.

Tommy, what size Igloo is that? It looks like a marine cooler to me, and perfect for what I need. TIA.

Igloo, 54 Qt Marine cooler.... I went with this one because of the square shape and the slots for shelves

Igloo, 54 Qt Marine cooler.... I went with this one because of the square shape and the slots for shelves

Excellent. Thanks! I think that's the variety they sell at Costco. I'll keep an eye out for them come spring time.