• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick Recipe: Perfect Salt and Pepper Squid.

Macion Grey

the Libertine
I know, I know.. it's not exactly gourmet, but I wanted to share it any way.

You need:
2 squid tubes
1 1/2 cup Flour
Tablespoon Salt
Tablespoon Pepper
Teaspoon Mustard Powder (trust me, its the secret ingredient)
Organic Olive Oil
Lemon

Two things I do different to the norm, one is how I cut the tubes, and the second is the addition of mustard powder. I cut the whole tube in halves, then cut diagonally across. When you fry it, it twists and makes long, curly bits of squid that looks kinda cool.

For those who haven't ever done this before:
Cut your squid tubes, while heating up the oil. If you don't have a deep fryer, use a saucepan, and watch those fingers. Heat up to 190. Make sure before you cut, you get rid of the membrane on the inside of the tube, if it is there.
Making sure the squid is fairly dry, and tip it into a container with a lid. Add your dry ingredients (Flour, etc) and shake. You can manually coat them if you want, but that takes some time.

Then it is simply a matter of frying them. Make sure you do not overcrowd your oil with squid, or it will absorb the oil too much. Cook for 3 minutes, and remove onto a plate with a paper towel. Serve with a salad, some chips or rice. However you want. Leave a 1/4 lemon on each plate.

Simple, but very good. The mustard powder adds some depth to the flavour. Try it.