• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

(rī)1 Whiskey - Anyone had it?

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
I do enjoy a good rye whiskey but the flashy modern bottle design and marketing scheme worry me. At $50 a bottle I am not paying for a fancy bottle, I want a good whiskey.

Deerfield, Ill. – October 23, 2008 – Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Inc., (NYSE: FO) a global leader in premium spirits, expands its award-winning whiskey portfolio with the introduction of (rī)1 Whiskey, the company’s first ultra-premium rye whiskey. Debuting nationwide this October in limited quantities, (rī)1 (pronounced “rye one”) is set to elevate the ultra-premium whiskey category, offering consumers a refined flavor, a striking look and a new take on cocktail couture.
“The traditional rye whiskey category takes on a modern look and feel with the introduction of (rī)1,” said Mara Melamed, Brand Manager, (rī)1. “(rī)1 is a cutting-edge spirit for today’s top tastemakers and cocktail drinkers who are looking to expand their ultra-premium spirits repertoire. (rī)1 brings cocktails to life by celebrating smooth rye flavor notes, and its stylish packaging and simple name showcase a fresh take on a classic spirit.”

Bottled at 92 proof, (rī)1 features a light, slightly spicy flavor and a long, luxurious finish. Straight, the nose offers a gentle, peppery nod to its rye heritage. Cut with water, the scents of dried fruit and cinnamon push to the front, providing a rich palate experience.

Spirits expert F. Paul Pacult, editor of F. Paul Pacult’s Spirit Journal, reports rye whiskey is experiencing new found popularity. "Straight rye whiskey is a bona fide comer because the increasingly sophisticated American palate is searching for new and exciting high-end spirits.”

Whether serving as the base of traditional cocktails, such as the (rī) 1 Manhattan, or the foundation of new signature recipes like the Rising Sun (½ part (rī)1, ½ part fresh lemon juice and ½ part orange juice), (rī)1 offers a smooth alternative to the cocktail scene.

(rī)1 is packaged in a distinctive glass bottle with a single label that reinforces the brand’s straightforward feel and modern style. Priced at approximately $46-48 per 750ml bottle (varies by market,) (rī)1 is an exquisite spirit suitable for the most sophisticated lifestyle. Future variants, including (rī)2 and (rī)3, are planned to create a complete product line. For more information, visit www.ri1whiskey.com.

b9216825310e914f7812c2d2b696a365.jpg

Ian Hummel and I both spoke with the MI National Liquor salesmen last night.

They were very excited about it.

It is a 4 to 8 year blen age at about $45 price.

I cannot speak to it's intergirty...yet.

I bought a bottle about 2 weeks ago, it's good but doesn't justify the price. I would take the regular Sazerac any day of the week. The ri tasted very light, very watery. Again, not bad, just not up to snuff.

Lets be realistic for $50 you can get a bottle of the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Beam did not change their recipe, has anyone had their Beam Rye? It's weak with nothing going on, and if you follow Ray's link to SB.com you can read the thoughts of those who have had it!
I have not but would spend my money else where, to many good rye's out there to risk $50 on a turd.

Tony

Speaking of good ryes---or so I hear---my local liquor store finally got the Sazerac 18 in and I pulled the trigger on a bottle. Can't wait for the sun to get below the yardarm and try it!

~Boar

Lets be realistic for $50 you can get a bottle of the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Beam did not change their recipe, has anyone had their Beam Rye? It's weak with nothing going on, and if you follow Ray's link to SB.com you can read the thoughts of those who have had it!
I have not but would spend my money else where, to many good rye's out there to risk $50 on a turd.

Tony

Tony, I think I am falling in platonic love with you. You are dead on about a 50 dollar Rye being weak.

and...

Speaking of good ryes---or so I hear---my local liquor store finally got the Sazerac 18 in and I pulled the trigger on a bottle. Can't wait for the sun to get below the yardarm and try it!

~Boar

This bottle is going to change the way you think about Rye forever.

Tying both together, you probably paid around 65 for the Sazerac. To think to spend the extra 15 for that over the new stuff, it is not even a question.

IMOP :laugh:

This bottle is going to change the way you think about Rye forever.

Tying both together, you probably paid around 65 for the Sazerac. To think to spend the extra 15 for that over the new stuff, it is not even a question.

IMOP :laugh:

$59 plus 8% sales tax, so yep. 'Bout that.

I've got a shot of it in a tulip snifter right now, cut with a tablespoon of chilled spring water. And you were absolutely right. This is amazing.

~Boar

Well, shoot. I think they had one of those left . . . and I was already contemplating going back for the Eagle Rare 17! :blush:

My Visa's gonna catch fire and burn my wallet to the ground if I don't watch it! :rolleyes:

~Boar

The Saz and the Handy are the two bottles of the BTAC that I don't have back up's for. I think I'll grab one of each this week.

Well, shoot. I think they had one of those left . . . and I was already contemplating going back for the Eagle Rare 17! :blush:

My Visa's gonna catch fire and burn my wallet to the ground if I don't watch it! :rolleyes:

~Boar

That Handy is excellent stuff. I was very impressed with it after I got used to the blast of spice that you first get when sipping on it. I haven't opened my Saz 18 yet but I probably will in the next few weeks.

If you haven't had the Eagle Rare 17 I say go back and get that...and possibly get the Handy if you like a spicey Rye with an excellent sweet/dry finish.

I swung by and got both . . . they had LOTS of each, so backups may be in order if they thrill me.

Didn't realize the Handy was a rye . . . didn't realize it was 127 proof, either. Oh, this is gonna be good. :laugh:

I'm thinking that's one I'll float a couple cubes of ice in.

~Boar

I swung by and got both . . . they had LOTS of each, so backups may be in order if they thrill me.

Didn't realize the Handy was a rye . . . didn't realize it was 127 proof, either. Oh, this is gonna be good. :laugh:

I'm thinking that's one I'll float a couple cubes of ice in.

~Boar

Boar,

Try the Handy neat first, if I can suggest just a couple drops on the middle of your tongue and let is spread. Please do not over pour on the first attempt (it'll get hot fast) you will get many flavors out of just a little sip. Then I highly recommend adding a cube, this stuff is great on ice and very festive! Enjoy man and please let me know your thoughts on this expression once you've given it a go.

Cheers!

Tony

It made my lips go numb when I did that! :0

The flavors are intense . . . I made my standard rocks 'n soda with it and it tasted fantastic, but hooo, buddy, that was one strong drink. I'm thinking I'll want to try it in some of the classic cocktails that have been mentioned around here as being better with true rye whiskey---Manhattans, wasn't it? Or Old-fashioneds?

Serious stuff. The Eagle Rare 17 is more my speed.

~Boar