• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rapdily Fluctuating Humidity?

dannymer1974

Hello again,

I recently bouth 2 lbs of 65% humidity beads from Heartfelt Industries (FAST SHIPPING) along with an adjustable digital hygrometer with one step calibration packet. I have a 30 bottle haier wine cooler and the beads in the mesh bags (three different all over the fridge. The temp has been pretty steady in the fridge at 65-67 degrees, but the humidity has really fluctuated in the last day or two from 60-73%. It goes up and down, up and down. And it can fluctuate fast too, within an hour moving 5-10%. Is this type of fluctuation something that you guys see with the beads? Perhaps the seal in the fridge isnt good? What is the damage to the Cigars if this continues?

Thanks,

Hello again,

I recently bouth 2 lbs of 65% humidity beads from Heartfelt Industries (FAST SHIPPING) along with an adjustable digital hygrometer with one step calibration packet. I have a 30 bottle haier wine cooler and the beads in the mesh bags (three different all over the fridge. The temp has been pretty steady in the fridge at 65-67 degrees, but the humidity has really fluctuated in the last day or two from 60-73%. It goes up and down, up and down. And it can fluctuate fast too, within an hour moving 5-10%. Is this type of fluctuation something that you guys see with the beads? Perhaps the seal in the fridge isnt good? What is the damage to the Cigars if this continues?

Thanks,

Have the beads become over hydrated? Are they all clear or are a bunch of them still white?

Seth

Wine coolers are harder to keep a steady rh level in due to the cooling cycles of the fridge. When the cooler turns on moisture collects on the cooling coils due to the cold coils, this moisture of course comes from the humidity in the air in the fridge. When the cooler turns off the moisture evaporates back into the fridge. This is pretty much the norn with fridges. Just make sure the beads are not either 100% white or 100% clear. They will work to get the rh back to the level you want but every time the fridge kicks on the cycle starts again.

So the fluctuation you see is not the beads it is the fridge itself.

The beads look mostly clear with a few white ones. Although they are in the mesh bags and I can only see the ones on the exterior.

Should I let the beads out of the bag in a dish to check them out?

If they need to be dried out a little, how can this be accomplished? Setting them in the sun or just out in a room?

Sorry for the dumb questions here.

Thanks,

Wine coolers are harder to keep a steady rh level in due to the cooling cycles of the fridge. When the cooler turns on moisture collects on the cooling coils due to the cold coils, this moisture of course comes from the humidity in the air in the fridge. When the cooler turns off the moisture evaporates back into the fridge. This is pretty much the norn with fridges. Just make sure the beads are not either 100% white or 100% clear. They will work to get the rh back to the level you want but every time the fridge kicks on the cycle starts again.

So the fluctuation you see is not the beads it is the fridge itself.

Thanks Viper. By the way, thanks for the fast shipping too.

So, if the fridge has this cycle, what is the long term impact of the cigars and should I look for an alternate cigar storing method before I get really into this hobby?

If you keep your cigars inside of cigar boxes you have little to worry about. A cigar box acts as a mini humidor and the fluctuating inside is minimal.

Now I am thinking that it might actually be the hygro malfunctioning? I just checked the hygro and watched it through the glass door for less than 2 minutes.....it went 48% 50% 55% 58%. In about a minutes time!

Is this even possible?

When the fridge kicks on it takes humidity out of the air, Plus more empty space in your humi the less stable it will be..

The beads look mostly clear with a few white ones. Although they are in the mesh bags and I can only see the ones on the exterior.

Should I let the beads out of the bag in a dish to check them out?

If they need to be dried out a little, how can this be accomplished? Setting them in the sun or just out in a room?

Sorry for the dumb questions here.

Thanks,

What is the generall rh in the room where the humidor is? If it is below 65% then leave most of the moisture in the beads, they will have to keep the rh in humidor up. If the rh is above 65% then you may need to dry the beads out to let them continue drawing moisture out of the humidor.

Drying the beads in fairly easy especially with the mesh bags. Just place the beads in the mesh bag on an oven safe dish and set the oven to the lowest setting, no more than 150 degrees, and let them dry out for a while. This works real well.

This occurance is normal. Just keep your cigars inside boxes and they will be fine. Yes, mine fluctuates as much as 10% in minutes. Another thing you can do to minimize fluctuations is lower your house temp closer to the fridge or raise the fridge temp closer to the house. The less the unit runs, the less drastic fluctuations.

So that means that having open cedar trays on the shelves inside the super spectacular wine-o-dor is a no no......and that I should go the the local Cigar lounge and get some boxes from them.....Or just use the ones when I buy out the stores of all their cigars :)

Yet again, I appreciate the responses and your help. Any additional responses from others are greatly welcomed as well.

You should be monitoring the RH inside of a cigar box (unless you have singles out on a shelf) rather than the actual humidity of the cooler. The fluctuations in the cigar box should be significantly less than the cooler itself. As long as the beads recover in a manageable amount of time, that is.