• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RATING EXPERIMENT NO 5

CgarDan

Was by far my favorite of the 5 if rated by overall enjoyment. This was also a cigar from one of the most respected brands in the cigar industry

Results

CONSTRUCTION​
FLAVOR​
COMPLEXITY​
APPEARANCE​
TOTAL​
BLIND RATINGS​
OUT OF 30​
OUT OF 40​
OUT OF 20​
OUT OF 10​
OUT OF 100​
CigarStone​
23​
29​
15​
8​
75​
Pugman1943​
28​
35​
17​
9​
89​
Cboukal​
22​
12​
8​
7​
49​
cabaiguan juan​
20​
35​
20​
8​
83​
lherzolite​
20​
10​
8​
8​
46​
Gavin​
25​
30​
15​
6​
76​
JoeMO​
28​
33​
17​
9​
87​
Nate1977​
20​
32​
10​
6​
68​
H.VACHON​
29​
38​
16​
7​
90​
drunkfish3​
30​
15​
5​
10​
60​
cohibasurfer​
28​
37​
17​
8​
90​
Le Primauguet​
25​
30​
14​
9​
78​
Smokemorestressless​
26​
36​
15​
8​
85​
THINDE​
29​
36​
17​
10​
92​
modo22​
25​
40​
18​
10​
93​
wingman1974​
20​
30​
14​
8​
72​
24.88​
29.88​
14.13​
8.19​
77.06​
WITH THE BANDS​
SKYDIVNEKD​
27​
38​
19​
8​
92​
CGARDAN​
28​
38​
17​
8​
91​
Eqwhipped​
87​
27.5​
38​
18​
8​
90.00​

Review Notes:

Cigar # 5 Score 87
6 X 54 Maduro ? ligero LFD or Black Works
7:01 - 9:10
Nice looking, a couple big veins so we’ll see if that means anything
Nice dry draw

First third - Strong taste on the lips and first few draws. Nice smell, plenty of smoke. Earthy (hay, grass), salt, pepper, bite? Nothing sweet. Tobacco . Good ash so far. Notes of pepper are pretty strong, but not overwhelming. Definite spices, starting to get some nicotine. Slow down. LFD??, Black Works?? Retro hale burns some nose hairs, lol. Think I might do some clip and purging at this rate. A hair stronger than my wheelhouse
2nd Third - Getting one faint note that is nice but overall it is pretty strong to me. Looks like a solid long smoke 90 - 120
Not for a Connecticut smoker. I doubt Chester will like it. Smoke has died off. Nicotine tar build up. re lit, smoke is back in force. Did clip and purge
3rd Third - 75 minutes, rushing it, re lit, and good to the last drop.

Construction - 28
Flavor - 33 just a bit out of my wheelhouse
Complexity - 17
Appearance - 9

Loving the experience 87

Appearance = 8 of 10
Construction = 28 of 30
Flavor = 37 of 40
Complexity = 17 of 20

Total = 90

I typed a review twice and it got deleted and lost so... I'm just going to say I enjoyed this cigar a lot. It had a Davidoff mineral note and zest that set the tone for the smoke. It had a lot going on and I hope it's a $2 bundle cigar so I can buy a few.
I'm thinking AVO?
5.)
Construction- 26.
poor draw/ gole in upper third
Flavor Profile- 36
overall tasty, last third was right up my alley
Complexity
- 15 last third was very complex
Aesthetics/ appearance- 8

I will definitely try another couple of these. I have a feeling the construction issues and associated issues are just an odd cigar out.

Toothy, nice brown, very firm cigar, nice pronounced veins. Straight cut, tight draw. Used a perfect draw, loosened up nicely.

Fired up, not much smoke, flavors seem incomplete, very loose draw. Look at cherry, there is a distinct hole right down the middle. Must have hit a vein or funny spot in the roll. Lesson learned, don't perfect draw until the cigar is warmed up.

1.5 inch in, flavors open up and blend. This is nice. Look at the cherry, proper burn. The funny spot is gone from the core.

Having a very hard time placing these flavors. Not sire if my brain is shot after this hell week or what. But it's very enjoyable. Might just sit back and enjoy this one without too much flavor dissection.

Not very complex but I like the flavors. This is exactly what I needed today. Got complex last third. Loved it, finished strong.

Total - 47
Construction - 20
Flavor profile - 10
Complexity - 8
Esthetics/appearance - 8 (big veins in the wrapper)

Prelight leather and tabacco
1/3 leather, tabacco, salty, slight tanginess on the finish
2/3 salty, musty, all around more muted - uneven burn
3/3 salty, cardboard, dry, some bitterness - uneven burn
medium bodied, on the milder side, kind of boring, didn't much enjoy the last third

# 5 =68
Construction 20
Flavor 32
Complex 10
Appearance 6

Thick veins on wrapper, foot cracked on light, around half way it bulged looked like it was going to explode for about 3/4" ,
Cardboard and some hints of earth , pretty much 1 dimensional over all

Construction 25/30
Flavor 30/40
Not bad
Complexity 15/20
Appearance 6/10
Toothy coarse wrapper, veiny
Total: 76

75/100 Total
23/30Construction
29/40 flavor profile Tasted like grandmas Christmas decorations from the attic (in a good way)
15/20 Complexity
8/10 appearance

Esthetics/Appearance : 8/10
- Dark Chocolate Matte shade wrapper, neatly wrapped.
- Nice band

Construction : 27/30
- Firm with no soft/mushy spots.
- Well packed with a nice looking foot.
- Minor flaw with wrapper/cap.

Flavor : 38/40
- "Bourbon Barrel" smell/taste pre-light. Spicy on lips and tongue.
- First third is spicy retro w/long finish. "Grandma's Linen Closet" flavor/smell.
- Second third lost a bit of spiciness, still full nice flavor and a touch of leather.
- Last third was still full and retro was long with spice/pepper. No sour/bitter taste at all.
- This is what I'd expect from a Davidoff.

Complexity : 19/20.
- Flavor was consistent throughout with minor changes. The spiciness diminishing then coming back was interesting. Retro was pleasant and long. Very nice stick.

Overall - 90

Construction - 29. Even firm pack. Slightly loose draw but not too loose. Not quite razor sharp burn, but definite even burn.

Flavor - 38. Light flavor profile. Bright natural tobacco, slightly woody, just a bit of red pepper. Cedar is getting heavier further in the smoke. Overall probably on the mild side of medium, but really nice flavor. Final third is getting a bit dry and slightly bitter.

Complexity - 16. Not overly complex but there weee a few minor transitions.

Appearance - 7. Large veins and bumps all over, but so far it has not effected burn quality.

strait cut
Toast and light, first few puffs are all cream hint of floral
Red wine, cedar, salsa?
sweet fruit strawberry
Second third
Still super mild
Cream, ceder building in strength
Last third.
First real note of pepper
Toast, grain, pepper.
overall great cigar
Score 87

FINAL REVEAL :
Purchase site: smallbatch
Purchase price: $16.94
Cigar: DAVIDOFF WINSTON CHURCHILL THE LATE HOUR TORO
Cigar Aficionado Rating https://www.cigaraficionado.com/rat...off-winston-churchill-the-late-hour-toro-toro

AND THAT'S ALL FOLKS :cool:

This was awesome! Thanks for all the hard work Dan!

Have never rated a davidoff that high before! But that is why I really enjoyed this experiment Dan, thank you for doing this! Looking forward to doing it again.

Great selection Dan! My ratings/preference actually followed 1 through 5....with 3 and 5 not being a surprise like 4 was. The other surprise was not liking the Tat/#1.......I'd do it again in a heart beat.