• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

re-sealing a older humidor

mrtapes

Hi guys,
I was just reading a thread started by pj rage about his humidification issues. Allofus123 made a comment about a "Dollar bill seal test" I have a couple of older humidors so I thought I'd give this a try and test my old ones.

They both failed the test.

The humidors hold a RH pretty well but as we all know the battle for the perfect humidor rages on amongst us.
Both of these humidors are spanish cedar interiors and that is the material around the lip/seal area.

My though is this, Have any of you guys ever done anything to tighten the seal on an older humidor?
And if so what?

Floor open for discussion!!!!!

Hi guys,
I was just reading a thread started by pj rage about his humidification issues. Allofus123 made a comment about a "Dollar bill seal test" I have a couple of older humidors so I thought I'd give this a try and test my old ones.

They both failed the test.

The humidors hold a RH pretty well but as we all know the battle for the perfect humidor rages on amongst us.
Both of these humidors are spanish cedar interiors and that is the material around the lip/seal area.

My though is this, Have any of you guys ever done anything to tighten the seal on an older humidor?
And if so what?

Floor open for discussion!!!!!

My first question is whether these are currently seasoned. Even Spanish ceder will swell a wee be when humidified. Try this: use a sponge or paper towel and dampen the sealing surfaces. If after about an hour, you can pass the dollar bill test, you might have your answer.

My first question is whether these are currently seasoned. Even Spanish ceder will swell a wee be when humidified. Try this: use a sponge or paper towel and dampen the sealing surfaces. If after about an hour, you can pass the dollar bill test, you might have your answer.

Thanks NullSmurf,
Yes, both of these humidors are correctly seasoned, Both hold a fairly stable RH level and both have been in use for quite some time(one for a few years - the other a few months).

I know that some of you might say "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

It's just that they do tend to require a bit more maintenance than they probably should to hold the RH.

If I had it in front of me to examine, I might be able to make a suggestion, or just do the fix. Otherwise, check this forum for sources and replace it/them.

If I had it in front of me to examine, I might be able to make a suggestion, or just do the fix. Otherwise, check this forum for sources and replace it/them.

Well they're far from needing to be replaced. I'm just looking to try to seal them better.

Well they're far from needing to be replaced. I'm just looking to try to seal them better.

How bout posting some pics then. Highlight the areas where the dollar test fails.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

if you're looking for air tight, look at a tupperware... not that it's an upgrade!

that dollar you're testing your humi with could be going towards the next 'gar brother!

Put your humis in a cooler if you want an air tight seal, other then that don't worry about it.

How bout posting some pics then.

OK, here are some pics.
The one on the left is an Italian humidor I bought from a guy in Texas. It's really nice mahogany and has wood hinges.
The one on the right is an old Decatur Humidor I bought at an auction about 15 years ago.

The seals are loose mainly in the front but are not too bad.
I think they are fine the way they are, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I might do to make the seals tighter again.

If you'll notice, the Decatur has the hygrometer in it and it reads 63 degrees and 69% Humidity.
While taking the pics it went to 60/68.

I'm fine here, I try not to get too worked up about this stuff but was wondering....

PS I keep my nice sticks in another, newer humidor and my boxes in a cooler!

humi1.jpg

humi2.jpg

humi3.jpg

humi4.jpg

humi5.jpg

humi6.jpg

humi7.jpg

humi8.jpg

You're right. These are not cheap boxes. I went back and reread your original post though:

If performance is acceptable even though you failed the dollar test, you most likely don't need to do anything. However, if you're bothered by it, try some painter's masking tape against the upper mating surface in the areas where you fail the test.