• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reading Premium

Phlicker

also know as @PhillyBeerGuy
What to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon but sit back, relax, and drink some beer! I'm taking the opportunity of the missus being at a bridal shower to knock out some of the beers I've been meaning to review. A bottle of Reading Premium has been on deck for my "Old Man" Beer Review series for quite awhile now, so carpe diem!

Reading Premium is a beer with a long history. Reading, Pennsylvania (approximately 60 miles northwest of Philadelphia) has been home to many small breweries for almost 250 years (as well as the Phillies AA minor league affiliate since 1967). The first known brewery in Reading was built in 1763. Over 100 years later, in 1886, Philip Bissinger founded the Reading Brewing Company. When Prohibition was passed in 1920, the Reading Brewing Company became “Health Beverage Company”. In 1933, at the end of Prohibition, when the country was finally free to partake of a cold beverage legally, it was renamed “The Old Reading Brewery, Inc.”.

Old Reading Beer was a popular local favorite. Much of their ad campaign through the 1940’s and 50’s was steeped in Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. Advertised as the traditionally Pennsylvania Dutch beer, the ads often featured Pennsylvania Dutch home life, illustrations that were “hospitality based” and reflected the cultural character of the area. The ads were so popular that the brewery published a book with many of them.

As Old Reading Beer sales grew to outside areas, the Pennsylvania Dutch way of life had little impact or meaning to a widespread audience. So, in 1958, Harry Fischman, then president of the 72-year-old brewery, introduced the “modernization” of Old Reading Beer. The company had decided it was time to lighten it up a bit and give the heavy handed, old world European flavor and its sales campaign a more modern look and taste. And a new name. Reading Premium was launched in 1958 as the “Friendly Beer for Modern People”. Brewmaster Edward Messer was quoted as saying, “Reading Premium is a lighter bodied more mildly hopped beer than Old Reading. It is a new beer right down to the flavor.”

It was a big gamble, but it paid off when sales jumped 17 percent in the first month with Reading Premium at the helm. It was the fastest growing beer in the state. At the height of its popularity, the brewery produced 15,000 cases a day of Reading Premium.

Almost two decades later, things had dramatically changed. On April 15th, 1976, with an onslaught of big beer companies and waning sales, the Reading Beer Company shut down. Reading Premium found its place in history as the production plant and brewery closed its doors and all operations, leaving 105 employees out of work. The final 50 employees paid their last respects in the company break room that day, drinking the last of the beer they’d made. Hoisting their glasses and saying goodbye, the final air whistle sounded at 4 p.m., marking the end of a 90 year-old brewery. The newspaper reported that the Lower Alsace Beneficial Association at Stony Creek Mills, had a day long wake for the last of the Reading Brewers, complete with a casket, holding a barrel of Reading Beer and ten cent draughts. The Reading beer "label" was bought by Schmidt & Sons in Philadelphia.

In 2006, Reading-based craft brewer Legacy Brewing Co. (Midnight Wit, Hedonism Red Ale) acquired the rights to the name and the label, created a subsidiary company (Reading Brewing Company) and revived the classic recipe. The "retro movement" is a bit of a challenge for craft brewers whose entire business model is based on the proposition that beer made with 100 percent barley malt and bales of aromatic hops is better than the lower-priced factory stuff.

Legacy's Scott Baver knows he's walking a fine line with Reading Beer. They're not giving up making better beer:

"Never in a million years will this take away attention from the beers of Legacy," Baver said, explaining that a separate company had been established to brew Reading. But he does acknowledge he's giving in to a nagging complaint he's been hearing for years: "Howcum you guys can't make a 'regular' beer that the average person can drink?"

Baver said, "It drives me crazy. You rack your brains and bang your head against the wall, trying to educate [beer drinkers] about good beer. Well, you're never going to educate [all of] them. And the 'regular' beer drinker is 85 percent of the market. So why not go after them?"

"Look, you can't drink 9% beer all day. We are vastly proud of Legacy, and this will make it even more high-end, even more experimental. But Reading is the right beer at the right time. The POS (point-of-sale, Reading clocks and calendars and posters and lights) is still hanging in 90% of the bars in Reading. We start in that core and build a strong market. It's not Legacy, it's a separate company."

"Look, we're brewers. For me, I just love making beer and being part of the beer industry. But we're business people, so why not make a product that covers every end of the spectrum? If my customer wants it, what am I, an idiot for not doing it?"

"This beer represents not only Reading's strong history, but strong future; the town and the beer. It's not just a great beer, but a great city. The brewery did 500,000 bbls. in its heyday, and the town was proud. Then the town fell apart." It did, Reading fell on some hard times, along with other PA cities in the area, when manufacturing got priced out by overseas firms. "We have strong new leadership in the town, innovative people who see a future and won't give up. There are people in the streets at night again. (He's right, the place used to be deserted after dark, but it's getting lively.) Reading Premium represents what's to come."

"I've been in craft-brewing 15 years, but this is something else. It's a deeper emotion that goes back generations. We ran an ad about this re-launch, and the phone didn't stop ringing for three days. It amazes me how deeply it goes, people's roots with this brand. It's unexplainable. It's not just old-timers, it's craft brew drinkers who say, "We want a lighter beer, but one not made by a big brewer." They want to be proud of buying local beer.

"I'm a big believer in karma. It's time. I'll be damned if I'll let 15 years experience go to waste. It's a big mistake by craft brewers: if you're not reaching 85% of the market, why not focus on a brand for them?"
So without further ado...

Reading Premium

gallery_4370_457_46612.jpg

Brewed by: Reading Brewing Company (Legacy Brewing Co.)
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
Available Year-Round
Style: American All-Malt Lager
ABV: 4.00%

The initial re-release of this beer contained 10% corn. I bought my first case in March of 2008 after it had been on draft for nearly a year in the Reading area. Shortly after I bought the case I actually met Scott Baver at Philly Beer Week (he was wearing a Reading fleece so it was easy to spot him), and he said that it was now an all-malt lager. I don't know why they decided to remove the adjuncts, or if my case was bottled before or after the change, so this actually may be a bottle of "American Macro Lager." I will likely pick up a case of cans when they become available later this summer and see if there is any difference in the taste.

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz. brown screw-top bottle into a 16 oz. pint tumbler. Color was a crisp straw yellow. A one finger foamy head quickly dissipated leaving a fine layer on the surface of the beer. A small bit of fine lacing clings to the side of the glass. Noticeable lively carbonation. Basic in appearance, yet quite appealing.

Smell: Average smell for a Macro. Slightly sweet and metallic with a faint stale dishwater smell.

Taste: Taste is above average for an American Macro Lager. Nothing too complex here, though. A nice, light malt flavor, with a little underlying sweetness (my guess is from the corn). There is the slightest taste of green apple and little hop bite that kicks in at the back of the tongue on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was a little flat, but this might be because I associate macros with over-carbonation. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I drank it straight from the bottle. Finish was crisp and tart. Goes down easy. Pretty smooth overall and highly drinkable.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: All-in-all this is a beer that does what the BMC Macros do, but better in most cases. It's light, but it actually has flavor. This is a "lawnmower macro" you can feel good about drinking. Great with pizza on a Friday or at your weekly poker game. Cheers to Legacy for stepping outside the box and taking on the big boys. I hope it does well.

3.3 - B-

Very nice straight forward review Mike, as you stated it is nice to bring back a classic and from the sound of it they did a fine job. :thumbs:

Very Nice Review, I missed out on it the last time I was back home (Went on the Yeungling brewery tour instead). But I'm going to have to grab a 6er, for old times sake, next time I'm back in PA.

Reading Premium is the very first beer I ever had out of a keg. :cool:

Oh and no mention of Reading should be done without a picture of the Pagoda! I think my Mom took us to Reading at least once a month in the 1970s to early 1980s for the outlet shopping, and I always talked her into driving up to the Pagoda.

pagodasmallvj6.jpg

You had Victory yet, Mike? Its brewed in Downingtown PA... where I went to High School.