• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reborn into Briar

August_West

A little over a month ago I picked up a corn cob pipe and some samples of tobacco and a new pipe later, along with some new tobacco I am officially a brother of the briar! A newbie I am, but after years of smoking cigarettes and cigars (which I still enjoy), I have discovered something that goes beyond just smoke. It is the artisans who carve these beautiful pipes, the blenders of fine tobaccos, and the many stories and backgrounds that connect this community. I purchased my first non-corncob pipe a little over a week ago from J.M. Boswell and am already in search of my next one.

I'm looking forward to learning from you all. I'm not sure what type of tobacco I like, but here are some that I have picked up and have enjoyed...
McClelland Frog Morton- seems like a really smooth, relaxing blend
McClelland Blackwoods Flake- still getting the hang of this one!
Dunhill My Mixture 965- this one has grown on me
Cornell & Diehl Junkard Dawg- haven't sampled this one yet

Anyways, I look forward to posting!
Eric D.
ps. here is my new (and only) pipe:

Well said Eric. I just recently got onto pipes and I have totally fallen in love. I was wondering who bought that particular Boswell. I thought about buying it myself but I went with the churchwarden (pipe no.1 on the site.) I just bought a nice Bjarne today. For those in Chicago, UpDown is selling their Bjarne's half price! Right now I really like Boswell's Burly, Magnum Blend and Dunhill Nightcap. In this cold weather a pipe is perfect as I don't feel so bad about smoking it indoors. I probably won't smoke another cigar until the weather improves considering the way the pipe has grown on me. There is just something poetic and meditative about smoking the briar.

-mark

Welcome!

You've chosen some fine tobaccos and a fine pipe in that Boswell. I have 4 of them and they are all great smokers.

I would suggest trying the other Frog Morton blends if you like the original. They are all very good and a little different.

Enjoy your new hobby and please do contribute. It's always good to have different perspectives on things, even if it is "newbie" perspective (for which I would still qualify).

:)

ps. here is my new (and only) pipe:
What happened to the CCP? :rolleyes:

LOL! Oh yeah, the corncob! You know, I still use it too. In fact I was puffing on it today in the car- actually smoking pretty darn good! :whistling:
As I have read on this board, corncobs can be nice little pipes, especially for trying out blends and for those times I don't want to wear out my one briar that I own.

Thanks all for the welcome!
-Eric

Well said Eric. I just recently got onto pipes and I have totally fallen in love. I was wondering who bought that particular Boswell. I thought about buying it myself but I went with the churchwarden (pipe no.1 on the site.) I just bought a nice Bjarne today. For those in Chicago, UpDown is selling their Bjarne's half price! Right now I really like Boswell's Burly, Magnum Blend and Dunhill Nightcap. In this cold weather a pipe is perfect as I don't feel so bad about smoking it indoors. I probably won't smoke another cigar until the weather improves considering the way the pipe has grown on me. There is just something poetic and meditative about smoking the briar.

-mark

Hey Mark,
I would like to pick up a churchwarden one of these days. I am really happy with the Boswell, and the prices he has are great. Plus I love supporting a craftsman like J.M. who runs such a wonderful family business. Happy puffing!
Eric