• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Received the Letter

Smok'em

No, not the one for CCs. This is from the State of NJ for taxes on NCs I purchased back in February from New Havana Cigars. They’re basically charging me almost 20 bucks on a $45 purchase. Over the years I’ve purchased from many different vendors and have never received this taxation. I heard about the states going after internet cig purchases, but not so much about cigars. I don’t purchase many NCs via the internet anymore. Is this enforcement something new? At least it’s not “The letter”.

UNREAL! You're the 3rd person I heard this from....TODAY! My customer who brought it to my attention made his purchase in 03.

ALL of this is getting WAY out of hand in my opinion. Who the hell does M.C. think they are to tell us what we can buy, then now we have a state going after back taxes against non-residents? Where does it al end?

ALL of this is getting WAY out of hand in my opinion. Who the hell does M.C. think they are to tell us what we can buy, then now we have a state going after back taxes against non-residents? Where does it al end?

It's all in the paperwork.

People are suppose to pay the tax on online and out of state purchases.

That hasn't changed.

Wow that's freaking nuts, looks like I'm going to have to start using Visa and Amex now.

That hasn't changed.

I would agree that you may have to pay state tax to the state the merchandise is sold in, but I don't think a state can tax you for something you bought in another state. I don't think its illegal to buy tobacco in one state and transport it over the state line, and when you do you don't have to pay taxes to the state you bring it into.

That hasn't changed.

I would agree that you may have to pay state tax to the state the merchandise is sold in, but I don't think a state can tax you for something you bought in another state. I don't think its illegal to buy tobacco in one state and transport it over the state line, and when you do you don't have to pay taxes to the state you bring it into.

In Massachusetts, it is. People go to New Hampshire to buy tobacco and booze to avoid the state tax. If you get caught, they assess a fine that is equivalent to a years consumption of what you are caught with. It doesn't happen often but I have heard that state troopers pull random people over coming across the boarder. There is a person from the tax department with them and the fine is assessed. If you do not pay it, your license gets suspended. It's too bad because there is pretty much no other reason to go to New Hampshire. Except maybe to HERF with a couple BOTLs. Sorry guys!!

It also depends on out of state operations. For example my business has an office in MA and one in NY. I am supposed to charge taxes for people from both. I am guessing that that MAY have something to do with it.

Ed

That hasn't changed.

In Massachusetts, it is. People go to New Hampshire to buy tobacco and booze to avoid the state tax. If you get caught, they assess a fine that is equivalent to a years consumption of what you are caught with. It doesn't happen often but I have heard that state troopers pull random people over coming across the boarder. There is a person from the tax department with them and the fine is assessed. If you do not pay it, your license gets suspended. It's too bad because there is pretty much no other reason to go to New Hampshire. Except maybe to HERF with a couple BOTLs. Sorry guys!!

Wow, I actually did not know that. Less boozing with NH liquor.

That hasn't changed.

Interesting. And they can do this without a search warrant?

That hasn't changed.

Interesting. And they can do this without a search warrant?

A few of the people were busted on the same back road where there is a real popular place not even a quarter mile over the boarder. Mostly around the holidays too. I am sure they have a way of getting around it. Most of them just admitted to it and paid the fine. Good question for one of the cops on this board....

Pretty soon I won't even be able to purchase lap dances with my MasterCard. This is maddness!!!!!

This is nothing new, except if the info is coming from the CC companies. The cases in the past that I have heard about were conducted through subpoenas sent to the retailers requesting any and all sales to addresses in the suing state.

....except perhaps to experience a little freedom (as in speech). :sign:

....except perhaps to experience a little freedom (as in speech). :sign:

Hey listen Sean, bestiality isn't my thing. But I DO NOT care what people do in their own time. If that's what you're talking about....

I don't think its illegal to buy tobacco in one state and transport it over the state line, and when you do you don't have to pay taxes to the state you bring it into.
Yea they can. I don't know how many times my cousins in Massachusetts and New Jersey have asked me to send them cartons of cigarettes because of the state taxes there. I can get a carton of Marlboro's for $25 because the plant is an hour north of me where I've heard of them running for over $40 a carton up there. If you get caught bringing more than 3 cartons across state lines (don't quote me, I think that's the number) you can have them confiscated and be fined for intent to distribute with intent to circumvent state taxes.

I never thought I'd see the day when marshal law was used to enforce tobacco sales. Seems like that's what it's coming to. |I say cigar makers start making cigars with caps at both ends and roll it to be smoked from both ends. When you get it, cut it in the middle and you have 2 for the tax of one. :thumbs: One way around this crap.

Screw MC & NJ. I wish I could recover all the taxes I've paid various states for purchases made on road trips. They don't complain when a non-resident pays into the states coffers...why should they quibble about these small purchases?

I don't think its illegal to buy tobacco in one state and transport it over the state line, and when you do you don't have to pay taxes to the state you bring it into.
Yea they can. I don't know how many times my cousins in Massachusetts and New Jersey have asked me to send them cartons of cigarettes because of the state taxes there. I can get a carton of Marlboro's for $25 because the plant is an hour north of me where I've heard of them running for over $40 a carton up there. If you get caught bringing more than 3 cartons across state lines (don't quote me, I think that's the number) you can have them confiscated and be fined for intent to distribute with intent to circumvent state taxes.

Jonesy speaks the truth. There are usually limits that vary from state to state.