• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reflections On a year gone by.

Snakeeyezzes

Once I got done writing this I realized how long it is so if you don't have time or want to read it all I understand.

Hello All

It's been a long time, a hard road, and a satisfying victory.

As I look back on the last 6 months I had a few reflections that I wanted to share with the communities that I have loved so much being a part of. The last 6 months of my life have been a time of not only great adversity but also of great triumph and great reflection. Before this all happened I looked at my life as tomorrow will come but you still better live up what you have time for just in case. Friends and family were important but you knew they will be there for you tomorrow if you don't get around to it today. Do what you can but don't worry for if you can't do it today you can try it again tomorrow. These were many of the philosophies that I lived my life by before my accident. But one fateful evening peoples live change without warning or provocation. The accident that I was involved in didn't just take people away from us, but it took a doctor, a father, a son, a brother, a husband, a coworker, a serviceman, and most of all friends. For we were the pawns in a game that we couldn't see happening or have any control over. We were the unwitting players in a game that only one person can win that that person in the person in the automobile.

For anyone who doesn't know or wants the information that I have been given since I don’t' remember much here is what I have been told as well as information for the trial and the police reports

We were on Highway 83 heading south out of North Platte. It was at about 8:30 at night. We were traveling at approximately 75 MPH when a car in the northbound lanes crossed into the southbound lanes on a right hand blind corner. The car traveling at approximately 85 MPH struck the group head on. The front 2 riders (Sorry they need names. They at least deserve that respect. Glen and Eddie) were killed upon impact. The next two riders were able to make evasive maneuvers but were still struck extremely hard by the automobile. (This was myself and Joe) The last 2 riders took glancing blows for the automobile and the riders suffered moderate injuries. (Doug and Jim) The Car continued on it course until it ran into a ditch approximately 1.2 Miles from impacting Glen and Eddie. When police arrived on scene the drives blood alcohol level was at .37. The officers and medical personnel on the scene determined that the driver was also on Methamphetamines. As I stated above Glen and Eddie were killed on impact. Joe and my self were severely injured. Both of us were taken to Mid Plains Regional Medical Center were we were stabilized enough to be air lifted to Kearny were both of us had to undergo several major surgeries to further stabilize us. I was then air lifted to Lincoln where I spent a week under the care of neurosurgeons to determine if I had any brain damage. After they determined that I had not suffered any damage I was taken back to Kearney were I spent 12 weeks in intensive care, 5 of which were in a coma, and then 3 more weeks of recovery. Joe spent 5 weeks in intensive care and 3 week in basic recovery. I don't want to bore you with all the injuries that I suffered but basically 65% of the bones in my body were fractured along with several major organs being injured. Joe was able to not take as much of an impact as I did since he was on the ditch side of the road. He broke 25% of the bones in his body and had several organs injured. Joe also has currently lost the use of his left leg completely, but the doctors are optimistic that he will be able to regain use of it over time. Doug and Jim Suffered several broken bones and spent about 3 week in the hospital. They are both almost completely recovered. The driver of the car went to trial very quickly from what I understand and was found guilty of 2 counts of murder in the second degree, 6 counts of vehicular negligence, 6 counts of DUI, and 4 counts of felony possession. From what I was told the jury deliberated for only 17 minutes and found him guilty on all charges. He is currently serving life +65 year.

This has been a struggle for everyone involved not only the riders but the family, friends and loved ones of us all. I am currently in physical therapy and am able to get around in a wheel chair at the moment. I hope to be able to stand by the end of the month. I do my therapy 4 times a week and am also working with a personnel trainer 3 days a week to gain my strength back. I hope to be able to have limited walking abilities by the end of the summer. Joe is currently in physical therapy and is doing very well. He has gained a lot of his strength back and they hope that he will have limited walking abilities and use of his leg again by the end of the summer. Both Doug and Jim plan to be back at work by the end of this month.

Now that I have boarded you to the point of insanity with fact and stuff now let me get down to what I intended this post to be about.

Through this ordeal I have learned first hand the old adage of do as much as you can today for tomorrow may not come. I have learned that no matter how safe you play the game the game is always out to get you so you must get it first. What ever you do in your life don't let life have the last laugh make sure that you and only you has it. I have also learned that no matter what life throws at you if you truly want to continue to thrive you will. Life is a game that we all must play but what life doesn't know is that we always have the upper hand because we are the ones who set the rules and life has to follow our rules. Nothing can hold the human spirit back. If it wants to continue to thrive it will do so no matter what the obstacles. Adversity is what makes us who we are and no one can that that away from you.

So I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is when the wife give you are hard time about smoking in the house, or the kids just won't lay off when you have a splitting head ache, or the boss just won't quit eating your ass, or your friends just won't let you drive home after you have had only one drink, look them dead in the eyes and tell them thanks, I love you, and keep it up. For it is this caring that keeps us all a family and keeps us striving for the next rung in the latter of life. Don't let anyone tell you that you can do something and if they do make sure to make it a point to show them that they are wrong.

So no matter how long the road is keep on following for it will lead you to places that only people who want to get there will see, no matter how hard it is to get there keep on doing for it will make you stronger than you know you can possibly be, and when you do achieve victory it will be the single greatest feeling that you could ever want.

On a few other notes

Gemini Sends her love to all of you guys who posted when she trying to be strong for the both of us. She had to move back home to Indiana for a while due to her mother getting sick. However her mother is doing well now and she will be returning around mid April and she says she is looking forward to talking with you all again.

I want to say thank you too everyone on this board new and old (and yes especially you FOG's) who had me and the other riders in their prayers during this time. I know I would not have been able to make it through this without them.

Gem said that many of you posted your concerns and that means a lot. I loved this community and the people within it, you are a great group to be associated with and I hope to be able to start to become a bigger part within it again very soon.

I have to rant now. I know there are some riders on this board and to you guys I have this to say

Wear your gear!!! I know its hot, and you sweat, and its not always that comfortable and in the back of your mind you always wonder if other people think you look like a power ranger, but it will save your life period!. Don't justify in your mind that well I have a helmet so I will be ok. Make sure you wear your jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, boots, and back protection. Make sure it is leather and not Kevlar; Kevlar will not protect you in an accident it will shred on impact and leave you without any protection at all. Make sure you leathers have armor in them, it does save lives. I know that all of you know this but even I have been guilty of not doing it and the one time that you are guilty will be the one time that you will wish you had it. If anyone wants to see what happens to gear with an accident like this I will be glad to see if I can get my gear back from the state and take some pictures of it so that you can see happened to the leather armor and helmet and it will give you an idea of what would have happened to my body if I had not been wearing it.

Well I think this insanely long post is done now. Again thank you all for your prayers and your thoughts throughout this. And I know many of you will wonder if I will ever get on a bike again. Yes!!! I WILL be back on a bike before the 1 year anniversary of this tragedy. All the families are working on a nation wide tour to promote safety classes, safety gear, designated drives, and biker safety awareness. If anyone is interested I can give you more details either via email or PM.

Thanks again
Snakeeyezzes

Snakeeyezzes -

I know you don't know me as I found CP shortly after your accident. It is truley great to see that you have started back on your road to recovery. I am greatly sorry for the losses of your friends and family. Hang in there and soon you life will back to as close to normal as it possible can.

Mike

Snakes - wonderful to have you back my brother! Glad to hear that you are well on the long road to recovery. You had us all awfull worried there for a while. ???

Although I'm not a rider, and perhaps it's just morbid curiosity, I would be interested in some pics of your gear if you manage to track it down.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. And I'll take your new philosophy on life to heart. I think it gives everyone here a new outlook on... well EVERYTHING!

Good to have you back,
Dave :thumbs:

Very glad to see you back and posting. You and your friends are still in my prayers for a full and complete recovery.

Prayers do indeed have answers!!! :thumbs:

Praise be to Him for he has delivered our brother back to us.

**You guys please forgive me if you do not agree with my feelings in this matter, but i can't keep from thanking the good Lord for watching over our brother Snakeeyezzes during this life struggle.**

I am happy to know that you are on the mend bro, and I will leave you on the special prayer list for now if you don't mind, and also for your friends and their families. I look forward to seeing much more of you around here as time progresses.

Welcome Back Bro :thumbs:

I am truly sorry for the lose of your friends Glen and Eddie my prayers go out
to there families.
I will pray for you and your friend's Joe,Doug and Jim for a speedy recovery.

And like PB said

Prayers do indeed have answers!!!

Praise be to Him for he has delivered our brother back to us.

I say AMEN.

Bobby

Nice to see you Snake. I'm sorry for your fallen friends and at the same time encourage that you and the others are working through this. I hope the SOB driving that car suffers the pains of hell every day he spends with the state.
Wear your gear indeed. Failing that... buy a boat.

Welcome back!

Neal

Snakes, it's great to have you back and to hear that you can recuperate and are recuperating. Thank you very much for sharing your (tragic) story. I know that you are terribly sad for the losses, but it is terrific to hear that you have decided to take the good from it. You have given us a wonderful lesson and it is greatly pleasing to hear someone begin to embrace their life. It helps to remind me that, perhaps, I haven't been doing so myself lately.

...now, log off of CP and go spend time with your family!

Thanks again for sharing.

oh, and I agree with the "buy a boat" suggestion. :p (but then again, boating is kinda my thing... ;) )

Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad to have you back!

Welcome back Snake! I too am very sorry for the loss of your friends but am glad you are still with us and getting better all the time. Godspeed for your full recovery.

Snake,

I'm glad you are finally ok and well. Hang in there, you'll get through all the therapy soon. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. We were all very concerned since your dissapearance. I gaurantee you were in many of our prayers...

Be safe out there my friend.

Rod

Being a law enforcment officer and a biker I know what you are talking about. I have never been in an accident like yours but I have investigated several bad motorcycle crashes. I have seen the needless suffering due to drinking and driving. I often use officer discression and do not arrest people unless necessary. If I catch a DUI he goes to jail. Gods speed in your recovery. My prayers sent your direction.

You don't know me, but I joined after your accident Snake and I kept close track of the events. You had plenty of people worried about you on here and one of the reasons I joined was because of the amazing outpouring of support for you. It was also good to hear from Gemini that you had a lot of support in the "real world". From the sounds of it, Gemini is truely a wonderful woman and the kind of person anyone in your kind of situation would love to have next to them. I hope your recovery proceeds swiftly.

Thanks for sharing your story - it's always good for everyone to really step back from their lives every once and a while and put things in perspective.

Welcome home Snakes... it's great to have you back! You've come a long way and there's more to go but I know you'll get there Bro! My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you for a speedy and full recovery.

Aloha,

Wade

Thanks for sharing your story.

I just got a motorcycle this Wednesday and just ordered my safety equipment online. I made sure to get a Snell Approved helmet.

Anyways it's tales like this that make me be sure to be careful when I ride.

It is so good to see you posting again! There had been a lapse in updates of you and your friends and I had feared the worst. Keep the faith brother, as we have faith in you.

Emo

Welcome back Snake and I too feel bad about the loss of your friends. I hope you and your other buds have a quick recovery. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your freinds and thier families through this tough time. :) :thumbs: :)

Snake,

We're all glad to hear that you're well on your way to getting better. Here's wishing you a swift and complete recovery. Wish you and your family (as well as the others involved in the accident) the very best.

Take care.