• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Regalo Prototye

ThankYouForNotSmoking

Self-Proclaimed Everyman's Man
Regalo Prototype

5 5/8 x 46 – “Punch Punch” size

I was lucky enough to be gifted 2 of these prototypes from their creator Kevin Philips at Leaf & Ale in Knoxville, TN. He was in part responsible for the Tatuaje Maravilla and the Regalo really falls in its footsteps. While the Tatuaje was a combination, limited run and in house only project with Pete Johnson, this new cigar is, from my understanding, what is hopefully the first cigar from a new company also called Regalo that is being rolled and blended by Eddie Fontana at E. Zarzuela in the DR with predominately Nicaraguan tobacco from Plascencia. What I sort of gleaned from talking with Kevin, their relationship is working a bit like Pete and Pepin’s does – Eddie sends Kevin cigars and Kevin adjusts the blend, size, etc. to his liking.

The Regalo

In addition to being the same size as the Tatuaje Maravilla, the Regalo also sports its all too fun wrapper folded foot. And, to add more fun to the cigar, the cap is one of the curly variety. The construction of the one I smoked today, rolled in November 06 or so, was excellent, on first feel there were no noticeable plugs, veins, or soft spots. The wrapper color was remarkably similar to that of the Maravilla, a nice oily rosado – I don’t know if it’s the same wrapper, but both are of the Nicaraguan viso variety.

regalo1.jpg
regalo2.jpg
regalo3.jpg

Prelight

As mentioned above the construction was above par for what I’ve come to expect from even super premium smokes. The prelight aroma was one of leather, spice and a touch of what I’m going to call a dull sweetness. Inhaling through a guillotined head brought a nice lingering, tickling spice. There was an almost leathery sweetness and some wonderful straight tobacco aroma (Bolivar-esque).

1st Third

The initial puffs were fairly flavorful, but the cigar really picked up after about 5min or so. There’s a lot of flavor to this cigar – spice, some background leather and a sort of sweetish finish. Unfortunately, the young age of the cigar started to show a little bit near the end of the first third producing an unpleasant, but far from over powering bitterness in the middle of my tongue. The ash so far was consistent, burn even and draw flawless.

regalo4.jpg

2nd Third

This portion of the cigar really started to show the cigar’s power. I noticed a neat little buzz to accompany the flavors I was picking up, which was very welcome as the first part of the cigar is very light in terms of nicotine content. The construction continued to be excellent.

regalo5.jpg

Final Third

The last inches of the cigar brought up more of that spice, but more intense. All the flavors burned more intensely, as I find they usually do with a cigar of this size, and the nicotine kick started to die down. The cigar went out at one point and I thought I was done until about a minute later when I realize I wanted more!

regalo6.jpg

Overall

This is really a pretty good cigar. I’ve smoked two of the now, an even fresher one yesterday, and both times I really enjoyed it (even if the one yesterday was a bit beaten up). My usual line up is mostly Tatuaje these days, with some Padron, La Flor and Fuente thrown on, and I try to stick to the upper crest stuff as much as I can. Needless to say, this cigar hits up there with some of the better ones – I’d rather have a fresh one of these than a fresh VSG almost any day. Maybe I’m nostalgic, or maybe it’s intentional, but this cigar’s flavor profile reminded me a lot of a fresh Tatuaje Maravilla (from what I remember the 9 months ago I smoked one). Some time down would hopefully get rid of some of that bitterness while keeping its strength, don’t get me wrong, this cigar is pretty tasty fresh, but I think some down time could round out its younger and rougher edges.

These are expected to roll out within the next month at Leaf & Ale, and I have a feeling me or my brother will be in line to pick up a box (MSRP on these is supposed to be around $6). Hopefully they’ll make it out to a few other retailers so more BOTLs can try these out. I imagine they’ll become a part of my regular line up, and I’d really recommend trying to grab at least one of these to try out – you won’t be disappointed.

Peter

Nice review. They look interesting! Of course it has yet to be seen, but that price looks pretty reasonable, too.

Thanks for the review. Leaf & Ale is one of my local B&M's, so I'll be looking out for this one. If anyone else is interested, I can keep everyone updated.

Nice review and pics - thanks for sharing.

Brian

Thanks for the review and pictures. Looks and sounds like a possible buy. :thumbs:

Thanks for the kind words guys, I have been working on this since last year and gave a few out to various people to try. Most if not all the info above is correct and Peter did a good job writing that review. I am just glad he liked it lol. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the review!

I plan on having some of these on Thursday. Looking forward to it.

Thanks Peter, Mark, Andrew, Mike and a bunch of other botl for trying my new cigar and giving me honest feed back. I hope you all enjoyed the smoke and will continue to give me honest opinions and info as I move forward with this blend.

Thanks Peter, Mark, Andrew, Mike and a bunch of other botl for trying my new cigar and giving me honest feed back. I hope you all enjoyed the smoke and will continue to give me honest opinions and info as I move forward with this blend.

No problem Kevin, thanks for the opportunity...

I had a Regalo out of the new order that came in on March 16th. I must say that I liked it more the second time around. Good work. Kevin, thanks for listening to my feedback. Most people just throw things at me.

I had a Regalo out of the new order that came in on March 16th. I must say that I liked it more the second time around. Good work. Kevin, thanks for listening to my feedback. Most people just throw things at me.

These had a release party last night - so, I'd give a call out to Leaf and Ale if you want to try a few. :)

We have more cigars on the way for those of you that have asked. Should be here next week, and the next size will be a Torpedo/Belicoso. Those should be available by the end of the year.