• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

REMY MARTIN LOUIS XIII COGNAC

Turk10mm

Just smokin
Against my better judgment I have poured out a full ounce of this luscious elixir. I have already had two tiny tastes throughout the evening but I owe it to myself and my fellow CigarPass brethren to do a review. Ok, mostly myself!

This bottle was gifted to me by my boss in appreciation of two years working under him and as an early wedding present. It was accompanied by a card that extended his pleasure in my work and well wishes with my very near wedding. I must say that I was dumbfounded to have received a personal gift like this. When it’s a gift from the company, such as a bonus its always appreciated but not as personal as a gift like this, which I am certain the company didn’t purchase.

I won’t be smoking a cigar with this review for two reasons. I don’t think I have a cigar that holds its own against a drink like this, either in rarity or in price. Secondly, I don’t think smoking a cigar would do justice to something that I’m pretty certain should be enjoyed completely on its own.

20080903_1083.jpg

On to the review.

Louis XIII is a blend of over 1200 cognacs ranging from 40 years old to over 100 years old, ranging the lifespans of three generations of cellar masters. To think that the newest cognac was distilled 8 year before my birth in the late 1960’s, and the oldest was distilled when my Great Grandfather was a very young man in the early 1900’s is quite astonishing. With some idea of justifying the cost, imagine renting a storage unit for 100 years and think what that would cost.

The bottle is something to behold. It is a crystal decanter made by Baccarat. I’ll paraphrase novusvinum.com with a better description of the bottle.

“The packaging of Louis XIII shares almost as much history as the Cognac itself. The idea for the glass came from an old bottle found by Emile Rémy Martin on a Jarnac battlefield. Since then, the carafe has evolved into its distinguished shape, manufactured by Baccarat since 1936. A solid gold collar encases the neck, which is adorned by a signature fleur-de-lys crystal stopper. Its Baroque-style glass and design may have been the inspiration for the name Louis XIII, a French king who ruled during the Baroque era. It is also noted that the Rémy Martin family had close connections with King Louis XIII, which serves as another explanation for the Cognac's name. Also of note: the exquisite red box that the bottle comes in is the first new design in 25 years.”

20080903_1086.jpg

When poured into a glass, the cognac is a very rich amber with a fiery red glow. About the only thing that I can really compare the color to would be Pappy Van Winkle 20yo. The nose is very sweet, with touches of sandalwood, leather, saw dust, dates, port, and tobacco. The reviews I’ve read say cigars and cigar boxes, but personally I smell pipe tobacco. The nose is absolutely delicious. My mouth waters just smelling the cognac. I’m going to break the taste down into 3 parts, because there is a definitive experience change at least 3 times.

20080903_1085.jpg

1. The moment you take the sip in, holding it on the tongue the taste is of pure honey, rose water, and nectar.

2. The moment you actually allow the cognac to flow off the tongue the flavor explodes into a myriad of flavors that change as fast as you can think. I always read professional reviews with an open mind but sometimes wonder where someone can come up with some of the flavors. However, in this instance many of the flavors are absolutely unmistakable. The very first flavor that I taste is a distinct Lychee flavor that suddenly evolves into ginger, then cinnamon, surrounded by a light citrus of candied pineapples.

3. It’s a this point where the sweetness subsides some and the real woody flavors really burst out. Eucalyptus, Oak, Sandalwood, Anise. This is where the finish begins. The lychee and ginger flavors are still present but the drying palate from the alcohol really emphasizes the wood and the sweetness is just there for harmony.

The finish lasts forever. Well, at least I wish it would, at least 30 minutes. My fiancé kissed me after having a small taste and she made a mention that she could taste the sweetness on my lips but tasted the lychee and eucalyptus on my breath. Let’s just say that she liked it, even though she won’t take a sip of the real thing.

I really am blown away. I’ve had good spirits before, but only a very small handful has ever gotten this kind of a response from me. I’ve never owned a bottle of cognac before, but I believe that I’ll be purchasing some of the more affordable varieties in the near future. I just hope I’m not spoiled. The pricetag on this stuff is pretty astronomical (~$1500.00 can be found for less). That said, if I had the extra money with nothing else more important, I would purchase this again in a moment. However, it may be a very long time until I have enough money set aside for a bottle of liquor.

Unfortunately, I’m down to the last couple of sips, and I’m through writing so I can enjoy them fully.

If you ever get the chance, and don’t mind dropping the coin for a taste of something special, I highly suggest you do. But I suggest a mild dinner and no cigar. Its just too damn special to muck up

20080903_1093.jpg

Mate, you started with one of the best Cognacs. If you had to go more affordable, I would suggest maybe Hennessy Paradis (or even X.O. for a bit cheaper again). Still not the cheapest around, but more accessible that the legendary stuff you have at the moment.

Steer clear from the V.S. or V.S.O.P Cognacs if you want to enjoy a complex drink, but some V.S.O.P. Armagnacs can offer excellent complexity, and more so the X.O. In the lower price spectrum, Armagnacs are certainly the more layered and explorable.

By the way: YOU LUCKY BASTARD!

Outstanding review :thumbs: Martel Cordon Bleu is as fancy as it gets here regularly and that is pretty damn good but I know it is only a ghost of the Louis XIII. I had it once and may someday have it again.

Edit: If you really like it you can always save up for this

I saw that! I think 2 mil is probably forever out of my league for a liquor purchase. I'd consider myself extremely lucky if I ever owned a home that was worth half that.

Great job on the review Turk. I've had this twice and agree it's amazing stuff.

One afternoon last summer I had a glass of this along with a glass of Hennessy Richard at the same time for comparison sake. It was like I had died and gone to heaven.

If I were to ever lay out that kind of cash for a bottle I'd go with the Louis XIII. What an incredible bonus.

I've seen that bottle at a couple of really end restaurants. You should be so fortunate to have not only tasted it but to actually own a bottle is amazing. Grats on the stellar review and amazing cognac.

Hey! First off, Congrats on the wedding. Second, for having such an amazing gift from an awesome boss.

Amazing review, I only got a glass of this at a restaurant once. They could not understand why it took me an hour and a half to enjoy it or why it took me twenty minutes of holding and inhaling it before i took the first sip.

Excellent review! I have always wondered if the price was more hype than substance. Your very thorough review makes me believe in the substance.

Congrats on your wedding, and also on having a very cool boss to work for.(Can I telecommute from Vegas?)

I'm a HUGE Remy Martin fan and I've only had one glass of this in my life and I will never forget the experience (thanks Toaster ;)) . For Remy fans, this is THE finest stuff in the world!

I don't think I need to tell you how much this stuff costs :laugh: and I highly doubt I'll ever buy a bottle for myself but I regularly fantasize about adding a bottle to my collection. :D There's a restaurant around me that has this on the menu for an after dinner drink at $125.00 a shot. :0

Great review and congratulations on the upcoming wedding! :thumbs:

$125 is a GREAT price for a shot of this. Most places try to double (at a minimum) their liquor investment so a $1500 bottle has to sell for $3000. Figure 16 shots to a bottle (1.5oz) and that works out to over $185 a serving.

There's a restaurant around me that has this on the menu for an after dinner drink at $125.00 a shot. :0

Great review!

I could see Cigarpass folks, attending the annual herf, doing a group buy, and taking it over the top.

What a great way to be appreciated.

I love it when we get to endulge in these things. I will never forget my first taste of Louis, Opus One or my first CC.

Knowing that we all have a taste for the good life, we deserve it. I think when the brothers from this site are awarded such things, we appreciate those special moments more.

Cheers to you and to the good life you are building.