• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review # 2

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
Greetings all,

I was able to take a break to try out my much anticipated Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight.

Since I first read about it I’ve been on a mission to sample one. I brought home a single about a month ago and have been drooling over its DARK maddie wrapper the whole time.

Unfortunately, it is with much sorrow I must relay that it was one of my least enjoyable ever. Not as in least enjoyable HdM (that could even be a compliment :)), but as in down there facing the ugly end of a schnauzer. I would not want to write all Dark Knights off, for this very well may have been an anomaly, but its second chance will be a long time coming :(

Total torture time, I mean smoking time: 25 minutes

REACTIONS:
Appearance and construction: Very will built and dripping with oils. It was tight and solid; though not nearly as dense as the Black Pearl I had last night. The cap was nice and square, but was barely starting to peel. All things considered, it looked quite promising.

Flavor: From about 3 minutes in, it was very sour and grassy. Need I elaborate?

Smoking characteristics: In the 25 minuets of unfulfilled expectation and dwindling hope, it went out on me twice. For a heavy puffer like I, this is a feat unto itself. When lit, it did burn evenly with no runners, but this was no consolation of course.

Overall: 60-65 at best. I just can’t bring myself to think this as the level to expect from one of the 1066 line. I didn’t particularly care for the King Arthur, but the Merlin and Lancelot are top-notch.

Well, sometimes think I’d rather find more cigars I don’t like. That makes the nightly selection easier. Plus, of course, it is all part of the learning process.

Cheers all, :D
Dixie

Have yet to set fire to one but this review echos that of a good friend of mine. He really likes the 1066 line and loves sun grown wrappers. So he was really looking forward to this one. Hated it....I think his exact words were "It tastes like ass". Now, I'm not sure how much of an authority he is on ass-like tastes but suffice it to say he was underwhelmed. On the other hand I've heard a lot of people that really like them. So maybe there is some inconsistency. Or you might have gotten a counterfeit. :D

Prior to their release HdM offered a 3pack box with 2 Merlins and 1 Dark Knight (basically buy the 2 Merlins and get the Knight for free). I picked up 4 of the 3pack boxes and the Dark Knights outta there were real good cigars( I thought maybe HdM was onto something). I've had a couple DK's since then and they mirror the flavor profile in your review...down right nasty. Not sure why, but I wouldn't buy one again either.

I bought 5 from CB, smoked one, will give the rest to the few locals I know that always mooch from me. Maybe that will stop them. :p :sneaky:

Bummer man. I was much looking forward to torching up one these black beauties :( I love the 1066 line and also have become quite fond of sun growns.
will give the rest to the few locals I know that always mooch from me. Maybe that will stop them
:sign: I'm gonna have to remember that next time I get together with some of my moocher pals, lmao :p

Now that this is in the correct thread...

I just mentioned this in Review #4, but I thought I'd put it here too:

"Speaking of which, I have a Dark Knight update: I was at my local shop and even the sales guy, on his own accord, brought up the fact that “they taste like dirt.” When I agreed enthusiastically from across the walk-in, he jogged over and gave me a high-five. I was hoping for complimentary PAM instead, but high-fives are neat."

So I guess this means you didn't like it? :D :D

Thanks for the good review AND the Heads up.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

GB

JOE.M. said:
All HdM's taste like A$$! :(
Hmm. I tend to like the Excalibur's. THe Merlin was great!

ps: NOT A MOOCH ATTEMPT. <directed at Joe> :D

JOE.M. said:
All HdM's taste like A$$! :(
I have to disagree with you there. Like SD, I think the Merlin (and Lancelot) is pretty darn good.

However....I have been searching your 100000 past threads and post to determine a perfect "Dixie Care Package." Hypothetical of course, :lookup:

You and Craig (Lucas) deserve to be my round 2. SD and Wade were my R1. Though I still don't think Brother Wade has any idea yet :D I keep leaving clues all over the place, but he never seems to find them. I suppose the mailman will leave a good clue tomorrow or Tues. :p

Cheers,
Dixie