• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review #4

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
Bohemian Red North Beach

So I’m having an interesting problem. I’m in a “slump” for the past few days. You see, I have quite a bit of my humi “earmarked” for other things (i.e. bombs and passes), but even what I do have left I don’t seem to want to smoke. I realize that there isn’t really a point to having such fine cigars if I don’t smoke them, but I seem to start with the “bottom” and work towards the top. For instance, I have wanted to try both Trinidad and Monte for ages now. I have one of each, but can’t seem to bring myself to torch them. In fact I have dozens that I’ve been drooling over since before I my “big-boy” job, but alas they sit there “aging.” I say “aging” and not aging, because it isn’t for that reason that they sit ??? Maybe I need a pep talk :D

Anyway, I picked out what in my opinion was the most ridiculous stick in the ‘dor: a Bohemian Red North Beach. This is a pigtailed (is that the real term or did I just make that up? ???), rosado corojo.

Total smoke time: I really don’t remember :p I was flipping though some piled-up magazines and didn’t even have my watch on <gasp>

REACTIONS:
Appearance and construction: This was my first rosado and my first pigtail. It was well made. I know it wasn’t dried out, but the wrapper sure felt dry; definitely not your maduro feel. Two decent sized veins, but, you know, that never seems to affect anything much. I’ve had huge-veined sticks burn very consistently. It make for a more comprehensive review though…lol.

Let me address this pigtail issue for a minute: On the Bohemian, the cap was twisted and even swirled to a point. I dealt with this poorly – I clipped waaay too much off, but we have to learn sometime, huh? I can correct that mistake next go-round. It’s the foot that baffled me. The filler and binder were flat like a “normal” cigar, but the wrapper hung off like an untucked shirt tail. It wasn’t twisted; just loose. Are you to cut this off? If not, how does one warm the foot? I, in my ignorance (and maybe correctly), just set the “danglies” ablaze ??? It worked. I soon had a well-lit corojo; a ten-feet flame leaping from it too! :D

Flavor: I went in, for whatever reason, expecting, almost hoping it to be bad. It just looked so stupid in my opinion- and couldn’t possible be any good, right? For me, this was like pop music; I a classically-trained musician (yes, really. Before graduating with business degrees, I started off college as a trombone performance major) so it is inconceivable that I’ll like some horrible, un-musical pop crap. But, it does happen. Just as, after an intimate ‘conversation” with this unique Bohemian and, I really began to respect it. It was smooth. I, without success, earnestly tried to pick out sourness or harshness, but there just was none. It was a very satisfying medium-flavor stick with an extremely long lasting, but pleasant aftertaste.

Smoking characteristics: I already wrote of the interesting pre-light/lighting boggles. One complaint was that it was a very tight draw despite my nearly chopping the stick in half when I was clipping the cap ;). Also, it did go once, but it happened during my being engrossed in an article in the current Economist Magazine about how Americans average only 14 days vacation year compared to almost 40 in some European countries. The heat was a little cool for my taste, but I was neglecting it somewhat at times and, again, like there to be a miniature hell in my mouth (yup, I’m weird).

Overall: It had a lot of prejudice against it, just because it looked different from it mostly maduro and “groomed” brothers, but it did shine fairly brightly in the end (wait, that’s a pun :D). It wasn’t anything I’ll be buying a box of, but I will try one again eventually certainly. The draw was a little disconcerting, but there could have been worse characteristics; like being a Dark Knight.

Speaking of which, I have a Dark Knight update: I was at my local shop and even the sales guy, on his own accord, brought up the fact that “they taste like dirt.” When I agreed enthusiastically from across the walk-in, he jogged over and gave me a high-five. I was hoping for complimentary PAM instead, but high-fives are neat.

I’d give the Bohemian Red North Beach Corojo an 85-86. Buuuut, I’ll stick to my maddies for a while.

Dunno bout shaggy feet, but I get 30 days leave a year. The only draw back is I have to take them at most of 1 week at a time during only 5 months of the year.

Emo

this is the victor sinclair bohemian? ive had a few of these. i thought they were an all right mild-side-of-medium smoke. i kind of like the rough foot and the pigtail coz its different. but, like you, im not dying for another.

Nice review Dixie (as always :D ). Believe it or not I've got one of these in the bottom of one of my humis. It was one of the first singles I ever bought. I'll have to get around to smoking it one of these days. I guess I aged it for 8 months without even thinking abou it :)