• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review #5/#6

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I’m still recovering from my surgery, so I thought I’d catch up on a few reviews from last week. This will be a double review for reasons to be explained.

La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 6 Natural (6x60) I will abbreviate as “SR6”
Felipe Gregorio Petrus Natural Antonius (5x52) I will abbreviate as “Petrus”

Total smoking time:
SR6 – 12 minutes
Petrus – 40 minutes

As the story goes, I was eyeing a gifted Fuente (not sure which one, but not an Opus) that took a little sorting in the top tray to reach. I have only torched a few Fuentes yet and was excited about by decision to try it that night. In fact, I had been a little too hasty in my removal of the stick; because when I shut the humi’s top it did that horrifying David Blaine’s levitation trick. Noooooo! :angry: I slowly opened it back up to assess the damage: a broken foot on my new SR6. It had been caught in the hinged side of the top. Needless to say, I put the Fuente back and pulled out the SR6….but I had been in the mood for a long smoke. The Fuente had been at least a Lonsdale if not a small Churchill. So, while the SR6 is a fat smoke, it wasn’t going to give me the longevity I was searching for. So after more carefully rotating the inventory I concluded my search with the Petrus.

I don’t know the general consensus on Felipe around here, but I will always have a fondness for the brand. The first truly enjoyable smoke I ever had was a Felipe II Reserva N. These are great peppery little stick that I enjoy even now. I plan to sample all Felipe’s offerings in time. This is why I have the Petrus. On a side note, stay away from Reserva C’s. They are often barely average smokes.

I had sampled four different La Gloria’s before this SR6, but had been disappointed each time. From what I’ve read and heard, the Serie R is about their best line; specifically the No. 6 and No. 7. I picked this up to give La Gloria’s one last chance before I gave up on them for a few years. There are too many good things I haven’t tried to waste good money and time on LG’s. Given my mixed expectations about the SR6, I had I decided to close my eyes and pick between the two when I was outside. I picked the SR6 first. So let’s hear about it:

SR6 REACTIONS:
Appearance and construction: Obviously, the structural integrity had been compromised during my lid shutting. That aside, this fat stick was very well constructed. That is a consistent trait among all LG’s I’ve examined. Its wrapper was completely dry, but the filler’s resilience and density were reassuring as to its being properly stored. It was “supposed” to be a maddie, but the shop had only naturals in stock.

Flavor: Traces of potting soil? No, but it wasn’t good at all. If you like LG’s, I imagine you’ll love the SR6. Whaterv it is about the flavor of LG’s – the SR6 has twice as much. It wasn’t sour or harsh; it just doesn’t appeal to me. This aspect of the smoke cannot be attributed to the broken foot.

Smoking characteristics: The broken foot was a big issue here. I considered slicing of the “infected” area, but it has a 60-gauged ring. My cutters can’t get around a behemoth like that. SO, I lit up as-was and paid the price: almost immediate blistering and further cracking. Shortly afterward, a runner traveled very quickly up one side. I had to put it out.

Overall: I’ve given up on LG’s. I just they are very skilled at consistently making what I don’t like. That’s fine with me. I’ve never met a La Perla Habana I haven’t loved, but some people can’t stand any of theirs.

I’d give it a 50. :(

PETRUS REACTIONS:
Appearance and construction: Man, what a delicious looking sun-grown and Connecticut-shade wrapper! Y’all know I’m a maduro devotee, but I’ve seen fewer light-shade sticks look this yummy. I’m fairly well versed with Felipe’s varieties and this is by far the best-constructed line of theirs I’ve encountered. It was a beautifully constructed torpedo. The head was perfectly conical and the cap was perfectly rounded. This Petrus’s construction rivaled my Montes and Trinidads.

Flavor: The best way to describe the flavor is “French toast.” Seriously, it was naturally sweet - neither artificially aromatic nor flavored; just delicious. The first minute was a little harsh, but I had just put out the SR6, so the melding of the tastes was still occurring. Again, it was very tasty.

Smoking characteristics: I think I’m beginning to appreciate more the intricacies of the torpedo. I like the way the funnel the smoke. The Petrus burned consistently and evenly throughout the session. The shape also allowed me to heat the drawn smoke to my liking toward the end. I love the hot stuff!

Overall: Wonderful. I really don’t think I could have one everyday, because it was, at most, a “medium.” However, I’m seriously considering a box of these in my future. Although, I first want to try the different Petrus maduros. There is a maddie version of this smoke. This was absolutely wonderful.

I’ll give it a 93 :love:

Cheers,
DIxie

Sounds like you had a preconceived notion about the LGC before lighting it up. Do yourself a favor and don't try anymore LGC and send them all to me. I love them and will be glad to trade something I have that you like for them. :)

One of my favorite 'domestics' is the LGC soberano maduro with at least 2 years age on em. If'n we're still around coupla years from now, I'll have to send you a couple. I just put a box away to hibernate for 2 years.

I am a LGC junkie. While I prefer maduros, their natural is just fine. I regularly keep wavells and corona gordas in my igloodor for long term storage and release them from time to time in my desk hand humidors.