• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: 5 Vegas Gold, Double Nickel

matthewjmichael

Original Post Here

Size: Double Nickel, 5 x 55, ( Box Pressed)

Wrapper: Connecticut

Filler: Honduran, 5 year age

Strength: Mild-Medium

Price: 5-pack, $18; Box of 20, $65 (Purchased from Cigar Bid Sampler)

Grade: 8.9

Here in Georgia the dog days of summer make it hard to really enjoy a smoke due to the humidity, but one evening last week it dried up a bit. With frogs croaking and crickets humming, I fired up the 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel and tried to enjoy the nice summer night.

Appearance, 1.8:

Two things really jump out on the appearance of this smoke; the box pressed shape and the gorgeous Connecticut wrapper. The cigar appears to be constructed well with a very firm texture and well-constructed cap. The wrapper did show some veins towards the head but evened out towards the foot. The label was just awesome, as you can see from the picture above—just a really nice, classy label wrapping the box press. The pre-light draw produced a burst of pepper with a hint of leather at the end, which was consistent with the pre-light aroma of the wrapper.

Burn, 1.8:

The stick toasted well and produced a nice white ash on the wrapper. As I lit the filler, it produced a huge mouthful of smoke on the first draw that was a more pronounced pepper and leather, similar to the pre-light draw. The cigar held a nice white ash for over an inch before I decided it was time to knock it off. The cigar burned evenly with a slightly tight draw all the way until the last 3rd and then it started to burn a little uneven, but other than that it was perfect.

Flavor, 2.5:

I always assumed these smokes were really mild yet flavorful. Well they definitely are flavorful but they also lean toward mild/medium in my opinion. The first third produced a smoke that was somewhat peppery with some leather and spice thrown in. As the cigar moved into the 2/3, it mellowed into a creamier smoke with a hint of citrus. The smoke from the 1/3 to 2/3 was very cool with little or no heat from the draw. The 3/3 continued with this creaminess but the pepper also returned toward the very end and the smoke started to heat up.

Overall, 2.8:

The value of this smoke is its biggest asset in my opinion; for under $3.50 a stick retail, you get an aesthetically beautiful cigar that is very flavorful and somewhat complex. I enjoyed this smoke and hated to see it end. I am looking forward to firing up another one in the very near future because I am sure it will be just as good or even better.

(Jed’s Total: 8.9)