• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Aged OpusX Petit Lancero

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
Mickey's big hand says it's time for a review. JoeM gifted me an aged OpusX to help me answer my own question about whether they're better aged or fresh. The short answer is yes. :D

Fuente Fuente OpusX Petit Lancero (2000)
Panatela 6 3/4" x 39 ring gauge

Setting
Living Room with a bottle of 1989 Caymus Vineyards Special Selction and Life of Brian. (stwike him centuwion...vewy wuffwy) The wine was stunning. Big, huge California Cabernet - one of the top 3 or 4 Napa Cabernets. '89 wasn't a particularly great year but that's why I could afford this bottle. The wine still had tons of fruit and a nice anise flavor. Could have aged a few more years but was clearly at its prime.

Appearance
Exactly what you'd expect from an Opus - beautiful rosado wrapper, excellent construction, firm throughout. The wrapper itself gives off a spicy and woody aroma.

Pre-light
Snip goes the Xikar and I do a couple of cold draws. The draw is a little tight but not plugged. I get flavors of cinnamon and cedar and the wrapper gives me a tingly spiciness on the lips.

Taste
Right off the bat the flavors were nutty with some spice thrown in. The smoke volume was dense as a San Francisco fog bank. I was immediately struck by the difference between this and the fresh Opuses I've had. It was much mellower - not so in-your-face. This made a nice compliment to the wine because it had also lost that agressiveness it had in its youth. A woody component soon joined in and remained for the rest of the smoke. This turned more earthy toward the end. One thing I never picked up was the typical OpusX sweetness. Also the trademark spicy finish was somewhat muted.

Summary
Like a stone in a stream
Life smooths all our edges
'Til we barely make a ripple anymore

That's what happened to this OpusX. Time has taken away its brashness; its edginess. But has replaced it with a mellow roundness that more than makes up for it.

[*Edwin McCain, Sorry To a Friend]

Excellent review FT! :thumbs: Had my mouth watering, and my eyes drifting over to the humi.

Yeah Ft, I had the same feelings as ole' Wascal did!!! :thumbs:
I did pick up a couple if the Lanceros myself this past spring at my local shop, one went into the "I'm a Gettin' Married" pass and one is burried in one of my humis to enjoy in a couple of years.... :D

Great review, I bought a bunch lately and have some buried in my humi, I will give them a try next year. :thumbs:

The Pl...my favorite Opus PERIOD!!! I love these these cigars...I'm not a huge Opus fan, but will smoke these once a week. Unfortunantely the box I've been working off of late has burn problems due to constuction and not storage...proving once again that even Fuente isn't perfect. :(

:)

Well that's a bummer. :( I didn't even mention that mine burned perfectly. I've started taking it for granted that these never have burn problems but I guess I shouldn't. In any case as I said the draw was slightly tight but wasn't a distraction and the smoke volume was thick all the way to the end. It didn't burn straight as a razor but never needed a correction.

Glad you liked it FT! ;) Nice review! :thumbs: