• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Barrell Craft Spirits Bourbon Batch 25 & 27

Acclaym

Moderation in moderation
20210312_212524.jpg

Let’s kick off this review thang. I think this is my first bourbon review here. I’m very excited to begin with Barrell Craft Spirits. It is a brand that is known for their amazing blending skill and I’m sure their access to MGP and Canadian (whistle pig) whisky doesn’t hurt much. These are my first Barrell brand bourbons, but I’m currently having an affair with several of their Ryes. We are taking a look at Barrell batch 25 and batch 27 tonight!

First off, I am going to break one of my main tasting rules tonight by making judgements off of first (neck) pours. It is generally bad practice because they are going to transform over the next few days, hopefully into something beautiful. To combat this inner unease I hold about this line-stepping I think I will re-review. Anyway, I put a small sticky with 1 and 2 under each Glencairn and poured away. Once I got them to my dimly lit drinking area I did a “swirly swap” and started my tasting.

Batch 25
Classification: Blend of Straight Bourbons
Company: Barrell Craft Spirits
Distillery: Sourced (from undisclosed distilleries in Indiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky)
Release Date: August 2020
Proof: 113.4 (Cask Strength
Age: 5 Years, 6 Months (Blend of 5.5, 9, 13,15 year old barrels per company website)
Proof: 113.4 (56.7%)
Mashbill: Undisclosed
Color: Golden Copper
MSRP: $80 (2020) purchased for $100

Batch 27
Classification: Blend of Straight Bourbons
Company: Barrell Craft Spirits
Distillery: Sourced (from undisclosed distilleries in Indiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky)
Release Date: (Winter 2020)
Proof: 115.7 proof (Cask Strength)
Proof: 115.7 (57.85%)
Mashbill: Undisclosed
Color: Carrot
MSRP: $80 purchased for $100

Glencairn #1
Nose:
Tosted oak, toasted nuts, stewed fruit, a bit tropical.
Mouth feel: Average to light mouth feel.
Front end taste: Light toasted nuts (not quite as peanut intense as turkey or beam), vanilla.
Back end taste: Sweet vanilla or honey. Even lighter tropical fruit.
Finish: Medium warmth, some spicy linger. Smoldering coal warmth in the chest but not unpleasant. Perfect for a cool fall evening.

Glencairn #2
Nose:
Baked goods, toffee
Mouth feel: Average to light mouth feel. Similar consistency as previous dram.
Front end taste: Caramel, toffee, cappuccino.
Back end taste: Quick sweet back end. ZERO linger.
Finish: NO warmth to be found. DANGER. DANGER.

I think I'll come up with a scoring system but I didn't have one in mind while I drank these. Maybe for the re-review... After all is said and done I have another glass of the Glenaciarn #2 next to me writing this - Batch 27. SO DAMN SMOOTH. Very dangerous and well balanced. The short finish may disappoint some and it could be longer but I think I'll hunt another one or two out.

Last edited: