• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Punch Champion

matthewjmichael

Original Post Here

Size: 4.5x60, Figurado
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Capa Corona
Binder: Connecticut
Filler: Mixed long filler, Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium-Full
Price: 5-pack, $12
Grade: 8.7

I can’t remember the first time I had a Punch Champion but I am sure it was the shape that initially caught my eye. About a year and a half ago I was travelling through North Carolina and I came across one of the JR Cigar stores—it was either Statesville or Selma. I spent a good hour or two in awe at the spacious humidified haven. I ended up grabbing a 5 pack of the Champion. Today’s smoke was my last in the five pack, after sharing the unique smoke with a couple buddies and having a couple myself. My Dad and I have always been a fan of Punch and, if we are in a cigar store together, at least one of us comes out with a Punch.

Appearance, 1.8:
Without a doubt the most striking feature of this stick is the beautiful egg shape. The foot is around a 50 ring size, while the head is around a 40 or so, but it is the middle that is so striking—reaching up to a 60 ring; the appearance is very similar to a snake that has just swallowed a large dinner. The Champion is double banded in the Punch trademark red and gold and features a triple cap. The head was so small that it was difficult using a punch, so I went with a .99 cutter. The appearance was superb, with very few veins, a great weight, and a flawless roll. I would have scored it a perfect 2 but the draw was a bit tight and there was a slight darkness at the foot that didn’t blend into the rest of the wrapper. Overall, this was a beautiful stick with a nice oily sheen; the smell became sweeter as you worked toward the foot.

Burn, 1.7:
The Champion burned into one of the nicest ashes I have ever seen; a perfect white color with tight, stacked layers of ash. The ash held well into the 2/3 of the smoke; perhaps most impressive was how well it held through the transitions in shape, giving a perfect burn circle throughout with no runs at all. The tight pre-light draw continued during the smoke but did improve around 2/3 and after moving past the middle egg. There was no touch up or re-light required. The deductions were for the poor draw and the slow, tight burn.

Flavor/taste, 2.4
The Champion is definitely medium with touches of full. It was smooth throughout with small transitions in taste and strength; the first 1/3 was the fullest portion and had a slight pepper with a short burst of sweetness similar to cocoa. Some harshness arrived but only briefly. The final 2/3 burned and drew much better and mellowed a bit in strength. The flavor profiles in the first third seemed to pass into a smooth, medium bodied smoke.

Overall, 2.8
This is an excellent stick, especially when you figure in the unique shape, the quality of the roll, and the price point: a 5 pack for $12—excellent value, perfect burn, beautiful ash. The draw improved as the smoke went on (biggest deduction), the flavor and body smoothed out, and the stick seemed to mellow as it aged (1.5 years). Highly recommend.

Haven't been a big fan of NC Punch cigars - but the Champion is the only exception. This unassuming, yet killer shaped, cigar has a great, robust flavor I love. For the price, it's even more amazing.

Thanks for the review.

John

I am not sure that I would call this one an excellent cigar but I would certainly say that it is an excellent value. You really cannot beat the price point on this one for what it gives. I keep a couple on hand for days when smoking conditions aren't certain enough to warrant a top shelf stick.

Nice review!!

I like these quite a bit---not terribly complex or nuanced or any of that, but nice straight up, fairly full-bodied tobacco flavor, fun shape, and easy to find time to smoke one. :thumbs:

~Boar

One of my favorite Punch cigars, and cheap! Awesome shape and construction and always an even burn! Great cigar for the price no doubt.

One of my favorite Punch cigars, and cheap! Awesome shape and construction and always an even burn! Great cigar for the price no doubt.

Have y'all had draw issues with these? Pretty much each stick in the 5-pack gave me issues; it was perfectly rolled and tight around the egg, which seems to cause a tight draw--after it gets past the egg it burns a little hotter and the draw opens up...

These are similar in shape to the LFD El Jocko are they not?

Have y'all had draw issues with these? Pretty much each stick in the 5-pack gave me issues; it was perfectly rolled and tight around the egg, which seems to cause a tight draw--after it gets past the egg it burns a little hotter and the draw opens up...

I bought a 5 pack of these about a one and a half years ago. So far I have smoked four of them and every one had a draw so tight it could almost be called pluged. One I had to throw out because it was plugged. I ran a poker through the others to fix the draw. The flavor was good, but the construction left much to be desired. Storage was at 65% RH and 66-70 degrees, so they wern't over humidified.

I bought a 5 pack of these about a one and a half years ago. So far I have smoked four of them and every one had a draw so tight it could almost be called pluged. One I had to throw out because it was plugged. I ran a poker through the others to fix the draw. The flavor was good, but the construction left much to be desired. Storage was at 65% RH and 66-70 degrees, so they wern't over humidified.

Agree totally, mine sit at around the same RH and I pulled it out and actually grabbed some other sticks to see if they were as dry; the wrapper is so oily it was hard to believe it would be dry. I thought about using a poker but decided not too...this really is the only drawback for me, though a big one.