• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH Dipping

crvinyo23

Heres the deal.

I have a 150 count humidor. seal appears good and hygrometer appears to still be ok.

I have been having a problem all winter keeping my RH at the 62 to 67 range that I like. almost all winter it has been in the low to mid 50's and no matter what I do I cant get the RH up.

I have taken all the cigars out and re-seasoned it with distilled water. I have put in some shot glasses with distilled water. up untill a few days ago I have been using the Gell and poly prop. solution.

just recently I also added some gell with distilled water. kind of like the sponges. long and narrow so that it fits in the slot in the humidor. I did this yesterday and so far I have only been also to get it from 50 to 53 RH.

do anyone have any ideas for me aside from a new Humidor.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if someone might have some ideas on how to solve my Humidor problem.

The humidor is about a year old. I took the time to properly season it and up untill a few weeks ago the RH has been really consistant. I am averaging about 65 to 69 RH.

I am currently using the gel jar with the glycol. however over the last few weeks as the RH has dropped, ranging from 58 to 60. I know the seal is good. just tonight I took out the cigars and have them in big plastic food storage bags and I wiped down the whole humidor with distilled water again hoping this will help.

does anyone have any suggestions for me. I mean I only have about 80 to 100 cigars in that humidor and was told that the jar of gel that I am using is more than enough.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Humidor RH is dropping

The last Thread and post you made Dec. 26 was the same thing, I would check through that again because it looks like there was some good help then.

How do you know you have a good seal? Where is it kept?

already looked through it and I cant find anything that I havent tried aside from getting a new humidor.

the humidor is kept in my mantown and through out the summer it was fine. once it started getting cold and dry the RH started dropping. I dont know 100 percent that the seal is ok but the humidor does seem to hold a pretty solid RH, just not high enough.

The room temp is about 65 to 75. it generaly gets colder than the rest of the house because I keep the door shit during the day so that the dogs cant get it. I have not tried moving it to another room yet.

If its not a glass top, put a flashlight inside and close the lid. Obviously if you see light the seal is no good. Don't forget your shift key. :D

How long did you re-season the humidor for?

I didn't properly season mine and had to re-season it recently. It took me almost a week but now it's holding humidity pretty decently.

How often are you in your humi?? I found that I was opening my humi too much. I live in a dry climate area and as I was opening my humi like a kid in a candy store the environment was just sucking the moisture out of it. I went as far as to use a HumiCare jar and the sponge humidifier that came with it. Now, after I finally realized what I was doing and left it alone it stays nice and constant at 67F/68RH. Also as I have left it alone I have found my smokes to be much more enjoyable. :) I'm a noob around here so my advice probably isn't the best, but this is just what I have experienced so I thought it might help.

Mike

How often are you in your humi?? I found that I was opening my humi too much. I live in a dry climate area and as I was opening my humi like a kid in a candy store the environment was just sucking the moisture out of it. I went as far as to use a HumiCare jar and the sponge humidifier that came with it. Now, after I finally realized what I was doing and left it alone it stays nice and constant at 67F/68RH. Also as I have left it alone I have found my smokes to be much more enjoyable. :) I'm a noob around here so my advice probably isn't the best, but this is just what I have experienced so I thought it might help.

Mike

I have a feeling that's my problem too. How often are you opening your humidor? Mine's a decently-sized desktop (holds 25 actual cigars) and I open it multiple times every day; my humidor barely holds 60% with Heartfelt beads. I put my cigars and the beads in a ziploc bag when I was re-seasoning it a few weeks ago and it held 65% beautifully.

You say that that the room you keep your humidor is colder then most room? Try moving your humidor into another room. I had the same problem and moved it to the living room and now it's sitting at my ideal temp. Hope this help.

Mike

I have a feeling that's my problem too. How often are you opening your humidor? Mine's a decently-sized desktop (holds 25 actual cigars) and I open it multiple times every day; my humidor barely holds 60% with Heartfelt beads. I put my cigars and the beads in a ziploc bag when I was re-seasoning it a few weeks ago and it held 65% beautifully.

I now no longer open my humi unless I am going to pull a smoke except I do open it routinely about every 5-6 days to check the RH and temp. I have also started NOT keeping the smokes that I know I will go to as a "daily" smoke in my humi. I have started keeping those separate in a zip-lock bag with a water pillow. This helps me keep the sticks that I know I want to save at the temp/RH I want them at. I don't have much experience as to what I really need to hold on to or what I should just smoke, but I do know the names I see more often than others as being sticks that are coveted by others including any of those from a specific island. I also have included in my humi some of my current favorite sticks...for the simple fact that they are my favorites. My best advice is that with a small desktop to try and not be in your humi as much as possible...this makes it much harder to maintain both Temp and RH. Larger humis will always recover more quickly than smaller ones...more surface area to absorb moisture means less time to recover lost moisture after being opened. Just my .02 worth.

Mike

You say that that the room you keep your humidor is colder then most room? Try moving your humidor into another room. I had the same problem and moved it to the living room and now it's sitting at my ideal temp. Hope this help.

Temperature? I thought we were talking about humidity here.

Yeah. humidity fluctuates with the rise and fall of temp. When its warmer, humidity goes up and vice versa..

Yeah. humidity fluctuates with the rise and fall of temp. When its warmer, humidity goes up and vice versa..

Ah, yeah, that would make sense. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I now rarely open my humidor and my humidity stays pretty steady. :thumbs:

I have been having the similar problem, and need to get some better humidification apparently. MY humi holds good RH, just too low