• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rh issues

diapanos

Banned
In my Foot Locker  humidor
RH stayed locked at 70% until I added that box of E.P. Carrillos and then it dropped to 55%!

Pulled everything out & put it in the cooler I had just bought.

Re seasoned the humidor let it sit for 4 days put everything back in got something else for humidification & crossed my fingers.
I also moved the humidor to the basement (coolest place available)

Rh seems to be locked at 65%.
I'd prefer 70%
but short of active humidification I really don't know how I'd get there.
There's only about 135 cigars in there (mostly in boxes)
so I really shouldn't need active humidification.

I still have the cooler so I can throw everything back in there if I should let it sit longer than 4 days....

What do you guys think?
Should I be happy with the 65%
I just ordered another box of E.P. Carrillos....

Don't panic at the RH drop when you put a box in there.  They probably just absorbed a lot of humidity.  It's not uncommon at all.  Just allow the humidor time to rebound and ensure you have humidification available to do so.

RH is personal preference, but I'll give you mine.  I set my active system at 65%.  I find much more consistency in burn at 60%-65%.  I haven't been above 65% in around 6 years.

Yep, what Wyatt said, give it time to adjust.  I prefer 65% as well, but don't mind anything down to around 60% either.

I run my cabinet with a set point of 68% as I've got some long term aging in process.  It's personal preference, nothing more.  Do your cigars smoke well?  Do they taste good, burn properly?  If so, you've got nothing to worry about.

Brickhouse said:
Don't panic at the RH drop when you put a box in there.  They probably just absorbed a lot of humidity.  It's not uncommon at all.  Just allow the humidor time to rebound and ensure you have humidification available to do so.

RH is personal preference, but I'll give you mine.  I set my active system at 65%.  I find much more consistency in burn at 60%-65%.  I haven't been above 65% in around 6 years.
I think what botheted me was that it dropped to 55% and stayed there for more than a week
BlindedByScience said:
I run my cabinet with a set point of 68% as I've got some long term aging in process.  It's personal preference, nothing more.  Do your cigars smoke well?  Do they taste good, burn properly?  If so, you've got nothing to worry about.
I've had a few that burned a little unevenly but they all taste fine and none of them feel dry
also the main reason i'm worried about this is because I'm not gonna be doimg a lot of smoking during the Winter so anythimg I buy in the next few months is gonna basically just sit until March/May.
I have medical problems that make 40° feel like 0.

to put thos to the test i decided i needed to smoke something that's been in the humidor for a long time.
Unfortunately all my old cigars are also CHEAP.
I really don't like smoking indoors but screw it.

Chose a Gran Habano Vintge 2002.
Tastes & smells about the same as I remember.
Burns evenly too.

I pulled out about 40-50 cigars and put in the 30 I ordered last week and according to my new hygrometer I was at 60%.
I added one of the crystal humidifiers out of my coolerdor and I'm at 63%Rh  & 69ºF
which should be perfect once I put in the 35 I've got coming tomorrow.
Thanks everybody for the advice.

I'd rather age at 70-72% in the cabinet but, the mold issue concerns me and I'm too damned decrepit to open a bunch of boxes every month. so, 68-69% and hope that the oils hang in there longer term. My dry box is about 60-62% and a few days in there for Nics and CCs and I'm golden. My Fuente Cameroons I smoke out of the cabinet.

As you can see, every has their own personal preference. For me 65%, give or take 1% is just fine for me. With that said, I see your located in Michigan.I am sure that you have your heat on in the house. I do not know how often you open and close your unit. I would setup a small room humidifier in the room where it is located. You will have more control of the air quality during the winter months and if your going in & out that may help.

Been reading up on this thread because I also have been fighting high humidity. All my humidors have been pushing mid 70s. The humidity in the area I live is also high in the 80-90 range. Most of the suggestions put here either won't work in my situation or have been tried with little to no success. I did think about getting some desiccant packs but was worried it might be to strong for the cigars. A few minutes ago I finally hit on the idea of using white rice. Here in Hawaii, a lot of times you will find rice in salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping and it works really well. So tomorrow when I get home I am going to remove the humidifiers and place a small cup of rice in there. If anyone has thoughts about this let me know otherwise I will post some results when I get them.

Bayamos said:
As you can see, every has their own personal preference. For me 65%, give or take 1% is just fine for me. With that said, I see your located in Michigan.I am sure that you have your heat on in the house. I do not know how often you open and close your unit. I would setup a small room humidifier in the room where it is located. You will have more control of the air quality during the winter months and if your going in & out that may help.

I moved my humidor into the basement a couple of weeks ago. All of the vents are closed down there and the last time I checked the hygrometer said 69ºF

Oh no, 69F is really bad.  You need to immediately lower the temp to 68.4F, tops.  Any more than that is catastrophic.

oke&coke said:
Been reading up on this thread because I also have been fighting high humidity. All my humidors have been pushing mid 70s. The humidity in the area I live is also high in the 80-90 range. Most of the suggestions put here either won't work in my situation or have been tried with little to no success. I did think about getting some desiccant packs but was worried it might be to strong for the cigars. A few minutes ago I finally hit on the idea of using white rice. Here in Hawaii, a lot of times you will find rice in salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping and it works really well. So tomorrow when I get home I am going to remove the humidifiers and place a small cup of rice in there. If anyone has thoughts about this let me know otherwise I will post some results when I get them.
Didn't get to do this earlier as planned, however i just got all my humi's set with a small bag with rice at 7:30pm hawaii time.  Will check them in a few hours and then in the morning and post any results.

BlindedByScience said:
Oh no, 69F is really bad.  You need to immediately lower the temp to 68.4F, tops.  Any more than that is catastrophic.
Yea, I get really nervous in small spaces too...

;)  :p

oke&coke said:

Didn't get to do this earlier as planned, however i just got all my humi's set with a small bag with rice at 7:30pm hawaii time.  Will check them in a few hours and then in the morning and post any results.

Good Luck!
Definitely let us know how it goes.