• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH% Question

yazzie

Reaction score
I am just recently having RH% issues with my 100 ct. Desktop. Throughout the summer months the RH% held a steady 65%-68% and I am now having difficulty keeping it at 60%. I am using 65% Beads in both my 48 qt Cooleradors and 100 Count Humidor. I have a lb in each Cooler and a 2-ounce container in my desktop Humi. RH is holding great in the Coolers. The problem is that I recently noticed that the Desktop is experiencing an issue with holding RH.....

Where it used to hold a steady 65%-68% or so, it is now barely holding 60%! I've rehydrated the Beads and still the RH% will not come back up....I live in Central Texas where we have just recently started having some colder Temps and the outside Humidity has been a lot lower lately and it is noticeably drier. Also I have just recently stared to put on the Heat in my Apartment....Just thought I'd give you some background to see if there may be external factors causing the lower RH% The Humi is full of Cigars and the Hygro's are all Calibrated.

I even tried taking 1/2Lb from one of my Coolers and putting it into the desktop thinking more beads would increase the RH and that did not work. Could the Humi need to be re-seasoned? What do you think could be the cause for this? If this continues I will need to box up the singles in the Humi and put them in the Coolers although I would rather solve this issue if possible.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Have you checked your hygrometer to be sure it is still accurate? They can drift.
Or, you have a sealing issue.

Brian

Hygro's are accurate and Calibrated. I have both an Oregon Scientific Wireless as well as a digi and they are both reading the same at 59%/60% or so and have swapped them out with the ones in my Coolers and the readings are similar. I also sent an email to David at Heartfeldt and he mentioned that once you add a heating source, that heating source will pull the humidity out if the Humidor does not have a proper seal. I suspect this may be the case and was never a problem in the summer months with the higher humidity and lack of an indoor heating source.

Ever since I set up my 2 Cooler's I have grown less fond of the desktop and was only using it for singles. I may just scrap the desktop, box up the singles and throw them in my Cooler with my boxes. Coolers are the way to go. I have had absolutely zero issues with either the temp or RH% in my Coolers.

Thanks