• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ring Guage

Firestorm

Hey Fogs and other Gurus..

Nobody speaks much about ring guage.  I would like opinions from those who have experemented with a number of guage options for opinions.

This but an analogy, but as a young man I loved short stories... would read them by the bookload.  As I continued to read I got frustrated with the short duration of short stories since the author never got to develop the characters or plotline.  I went into trilogies, then quadrilogies, and now really love Multi volume series such as that written by Jordan, Robertson, Chalker, Eddings etc.  

In such long novels the author can spend his time to develop minute details of character and plot, since length is not a problem.  Are cigars like that?  Do larger ring sizes and lengths give the " authors" ( rollers) more time to develop their work?  Or do the shorties have the same " flavor" as the larger sizes guages?  I have little frame of reference to evaluate this from, and would like to hear from some folk before falling for some guage as " my " perfect without giving thought to others.

I too love the books that Jordan writes...Anyways to answer you question. Smaller gauged cigars have a different flavor profile than larger ones. Take a Macanudo robusto. Get the smallest and largest gauge and sit down and smoke them. Same wrapper, binder, and filler. The smaller one will take on the flavor of the wrapper/binder more than the bigger one. This is because the wrapper/binder makes up a higher percentage of the weight as compared to the larger cigars. So to answer your question, it depends on the characteristics of the wrapper.
Second, length has more impact on smoking duration than ring gauge.

Emo

everyone has their opinions but I prefer the fatter ring puros. I wont buy anything smaller than 48. As a plus they last a hell of a lot longer. ;) ;) ;)

I enjoy any length from 4.75" - 6.75" and any ring from 45 - 54. All will have different characteristics.

Just my two cents. I generally prefer around a 50 gauge cigar, but I love cigars from petite coronas all the way up to the churchill size. The very best cigar that I have ever smoked was a tres petite RyJ Isom. The only problem with that cigar was that it didn't last long enough! Churchill size cigars sometimes change flavor profiles 2 or even 3 times over the duration of the cigar if they're really good - which is extremely neat. So...I guess it's just like anything else in life...there is good and bad no matter what ring size, length, shape, brand, etc. that you encounter. It's just pure luck when one runs across a cigar that hit's the "bulls-eye" in all respects - aging, taste, construction, burn....and this all adds up to a absolutely great cigar smoking experience. Just my opinion.

Sam :cool:

My favorite size is about 48-52. I really enjoy how I can pull on it and it doesn't get too hot.

emodx said:
Get the smallest and largest gauge and sit down and smoke them. Same wrapper, binder, and filler. The smaller one will take on the flavor of the wrapper/binder more than the bigger one. This is because the wrapper/binder makes up a higher percentage of the weight as compared to the larger cigars.
Emo, that is a great point. We all know that the wrapper makes up roughly 60% of the flavor. The more we can taste that Habana 2K wrapper, the better.