• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ripped from the headlines...

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
Skokie attorney accused of smuggling Cuban cigars
CHICAGO (AP) – An attorney was indicted Thursday on charges of violating U.S. trade restrictions by smuggling in thousands of Cuban cigars, some of which retail for as much as &#3650 each.
Richard S. Connors, 52, of Skokie and unnamed co-conspirators rented cars and drove to Toronto where they would board airliners for Cuba to get around the U.S. ban on travel to Cuba, the indictment said.
The indictment said Connors and his associates would bring the cigars back through Canada and pay duty there before smuggling then into the United States. After a year of using the Canadian route, they switched and went to Cuba by way of Cancun, Mexico, according to the indictment.
The operation took place between March 1996 and October 1999, the indictment said.
The long-standing travel ban bars Americans from going to Cuba except under special circumstances. Doing business with the Communist island is restricted under the federal Trading with the Enemy Act.
Connors was charged with one count of conspiracy to smuggle and to violate the Trading with the Enemy Act, one count of making a false statement in applying for a passport and five counts of violating the Trading with the Enemy Act.
A charge of trading with the enemy carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.
Federal officials said fine Cuban cigars prized by connoisseurs now retail illegally in the United States for up to &#3650 apiece.

I find it interesting that nowhere in the article does it say he's charged with doing this for profit. Usually "smuggling" implies resale - maybe here they just busted a recreational smoker. That "false statement on a passport application" can't be helping him.

I'm just curious here - what's the diifference between communist Cuba and communist China? Is it that China is one of our largest producers of low cost consumer goods and Cuba just has world class smokes? It seems to me that there's some hypocrisy here.

what's the diifference between communist Cuba and communist China?
A few million people and a heck of a lot better General Tsao's Chicken LMAO :)

Now you two have done it. I live out in the country. Far from a good Chinese restaurant. It had taken me a while to forget about the General's chicken. Now I have a craving ....