• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

River Trip Herf ‘08

Cards&Gars

"Kellito"
UPDATE!!

Lower New River Rafting Trip & Herf

Dates: 18-20 April 2008

Details: This is a one-day white water rafting trip on the Lower New River in Hico, West Virginia. The trip is hosted by North America River Runners (NARR). The rafting trip will have more than 25 Class II all the way through Class IV+ rapids in water temperatures of around 40 degrees. It will be a little chilly, but it will definitely be a blast. Recommend arriving early afternoon of the 18th (Friday). We were able to get a great cut rate on this package (I worked out a 20% discount for everyone). One-day trips are just that – one day on the river (with lunch included). A typical day lasts five to seven hours, depending on water level, river conditions and weather (and other unknown factors). That time frame is from the time you leave NARR’s base camp until the time you return.

Package: Lower New River Cabin Tent Package (min 4 persons per cabin tent): Full day of rafting with lunch on the river, 2 nights cabin tent, 2x breakfasts and 1x dinner.

Cost: $105.60 (normally $132)….plus rental gear if you need it (no more than $20)
River Company: North America River Runners (NARR) Linky

Timeline:
18 Apr – Arrive, set up camp, relax around campfire.
19 Apr – Breakfast, Paddle, Lunch, Paddle, Dinner, lie around campfire.
20 Apr – Breakfast, Depart

Here’s the short version of a typical one-day trip:
Meet at check-in prior to trip, sign release form/liability release/waiver, change, get lifejacket, helmet and paddle, load bus, ride to river, listen to Trip Leader speech, gather around the rafts, listen to individual boat speech, carry boat to river, practice paddling strokes, paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle,…break for lunch…paddle, paddle, paddle, load rafts on equipment truck, load self on bus, return ride to base camp, return river gear, shower and change into dry clothes, watch video (if available), look at and purchase photos, trade stories from the day while drinking your favorite beverage and smoking your favorite cigar around the campfire.

FAQs:
---Cabin Tents?
…are timber-framed dwellings with canvas walls and solid roofs with electric lighting. There is also a wooden deck that overlooks the forest.

---How many people are in a raft?
Typically there are 8 guests and 1 guide in each raft.

---What's for lunch?
A typical lunch is served on the river and includes sandwiches buffet, salad, vegetables w/dip, cookies, and drinks.

---What is the water temperature?
On the New River the water temperature ranges from 40 to 45 degrees in early April

---What should I wear?
Always bring a swimsuit. In April, bring wool (or other synthetic/fleece) socks, gloves, hats, and be prepared to wear a wetsuit. Footwear for all seasons should be old tennis shoes, a sandal with a heel strap or wetsuit booties that can be rented for $5 (NO FLIP FLOPS!).

---Other costs?
*Rentals: (You will need all these things.)
Farmer John Wetsuit-$15
Paddling Jacket-$5
Wetsuit Booties-$5

---Facilities? (my opinion)
The whole site is very well kept and clean…The on-site restaurant has pretty good food (in addition to the three free buffets you get with your package.) –the buffets might not be huge, but the food is substantial. The restroom and shower facilities are first class…heated, tiled, and very clean. The cabin tents are sparse (just four walls, a roof, and four plywood platforms with a thin mattress for a bed) but in a great setting with a deck, lights, and electricity. Note: the cabin tents can fit six…two just have to sleep on the floor. So, bring sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

---What is NARR refund policy?
Of the required fee, $20 per person per day plus tax is nonrefundable. You may receive a refund of the remainder of your payment only with notification at least 14 days prior to trip date. There are no refunds on cancellations with less than 14 days’ notice.

---How do I get there? Directions

Bottom Line: CP Members, let me know if you are interested and I will add you on to the reservation... If a group of you want to share a cabin tent, let me know and I will arrange it. (Remember: Minimum of four (4)and max of six (6) per cabin tent.)
There will be some others from my command attending this event, so it should be a real "hoot-n-hollar."
If you live so close that driving isn't an issue and you can make it there by 0800 on Saturday, you can just pay $69 for the rafting and lunch on the river. I am sure there are some money saving things we can work out for those on a tight budget.
These are the solid dates for the trip, final reservations need to be made by 18 March. (Reservation timeline may be flexible...I will update on details.) ...oh, did I mention that family members are also most welcome? :)

I see this as a tremendous opportunity for adventure. Adventure and bonding. Adventure, bonding, and herfing. Adventure, bonding, herfing, and being one with nature. Man (& woman) in the ultimate struggle against a raging river...
Ahhhhh...who am I kidding... I just want to smoke, drink, and party. ...er...in a natural environment a near a raging river. ;)

C&G...aka "Broken Paddle"

Original Post:
River Trip Herf ‘08

Brothers and Sisters,

I am in the initial stages of planning a white water rafting trip on either the Gauley or New Rivers in West Virginia during either the weekend of 10-11 or 17-18 April 2008. Consider this an initial planning conference (IPC) announcement. One of my white water mates and I will definitely be going during this time frame, but we would like to open it up for the herfing opportunities. It would be a fairly tame or more adventurous white water event (Class II - V) depending on the water levels and choice of rivers. The key events being planned are camping, smoking, and imbibing, and ... oh yeah ... rafting. We will probably use North American River Runners as we have used them before. www.narr.com -- Their facilities are EXCELLENT! -- Complete with dinning hall, restaurant, showers and bathrooms...very very nice. Oh, and if you are the least bit concerned on lack of experience, DON'T BE!!. My very first white water rafting experience was on a Class V river. Seriously, there were two girls in my raft-ages 13 & 16. The company supplies all gear: wetsuits, paddles, helmets, and personal flotation devices (PFD)...for a very modest fee.

I know this is pretty far out for planning around most peoples schedules, but what a great opportunity to get together. Since I know the area, the company, the camp site details, and the NAAR coordinator, we should be able to get some kind of a group discount. Just to get an idea for the cost, in September I rafted the Upper Gauley River for a day:
It cost $183 for a campsite, 2 x breakfasts (Sat & Sun), 1x lunch on the river, and 1x dinner (Sat night).

I always like to arrive on Friday afternoon (earlier the better) - setting up camp in the dark sucks. Most one-day trips start early Saturday morning and end Saturday afternoon.

If you are interested, let me know.

C&G...White Water and Cigars-what could be better?

...edited to use the CORRECT url. - thanks tigger!

Huh. I've done a fair amount of canoeing and kayaking, but never rafting.

I'll have to take a look at things at the beginning of the year, but I'm down as a definite maybe.

Looks like the URL is narr.com, and not naar.com.

Looks like a great time. Wont it be a tad bit cold in April??? :)

Looks like a great time. Wont it be a tad bit cold in April??? :)

Yes. Colder than a witch's ...er... "teet"... in a brass bra.
Ahhh... the splash of icy cold water, facing danger around every bend, ... Whiskey and Cigars and telling lies...er...tales of your exploits on the river around the fire with your Bros... This is the life.

C&G... aka. Kelly "Danger" Chase :sign:

I would love to do this...but in warmer temps. I am a p-ssy when it come to the cold.

I would love to do this...but in warmer temps. I am a p-ssy when it come to the cold.

Nonsense. All you have to do is wear some lightweight fleece under your Farmer Johns and paddle jacket ...wear some wool socks, and you are Gucci. Even when wet, it will keep you warm. Trust me. ;)

-C&G... you gotta...you just Gotta!