• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel 1961

NASTY

Cold Fire
Not quite as detailed and refined as one of Greg's reviews but Isy is threatening me with some legal action :laugh:

I was planning to do a fire escape review but I decided to bring this work to smoke while I enjoyed the the Giants rub-out of the Raiders :thumbs:

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

Examining the cigar after it was stripped of its cello, I gave it a good whiff and picked up scents of cocoa, cedar and a light woodsy smell. Once I punched the cap, the draw was excellent with the right amount of resistance.

The pre-draw gave me tastes of chocolate and as Greg mentioned some earth; I could definitely see where he picked that up. Once lit, the cigar hit me with a blast of light pepper. The cedar aroma and taste was there as was the cocoa. I immediately said to myself that this cigar reminded me of a Liga...but it changed my mind a couple of drags later :D
The 1961 developed nicely into a medium to full bodied smoke. While watching the game, I looked down to see plenty of ashes all over my shirt and lap numerous times. The ash evidently didn't hold too well. At the start of the 3rd quarter, I was still puffing on this smoke and found myself really enjoying it. This cigar really is a relaxing smoke. The only thing is that the taste lingers for too long. Like Greg said, it was a long lasting finish on the palette. I found myself taking sips of soda every so often because of it.
Overall, this was a enjoyable smoke. Definitely the best Rocky Patel I ever smoked, including the Decade. I might have to pick up a 5er or two. But like souldoggy said, Patel will probably switch up the blend of this cigar and call it something else but I don't know about the "My Little Buttercup" playing, I'm thinking more of a "La Bamba" by some mariachi group :laugh:

Thanks for the opportunity, Isy.

Glad you enjoyed it! If you didn't, I would have attributed your dislike to the smell emanating from the Sanitation trucks in the picture!

HA! The cigar did give off a great aroma. The phone in the front office rang a couple of times and I returned to the back room where I was smoking, it was smelling good back there. Like the street sweepers, eh?

Thanks for the review Nasty! Now I want to try these even more... All in good time I guess.

Great review Los. Where's the special sign for the Yankee fans? ;) :laugh:

Thanks for the review NASTY. Better than the Decade huh? I will have to give it a try. The only RPs that I can say I have truly enjoyed are the Decade and the Vintage 1990. If the 1961 is better...it should be quite a smoke. My only concern is the long aftertaste. I hate that...

What? I hate when cigar manufactuers do that. Even thought I haven't tried the Winter Blend or the Patel Bros. I feel decieved.