• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage

Lemon

Reaction score
Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage Churchill

Size: 7x48
Wrapper: 10 yo Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Filler: a blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan Ligero

I had been wanting to try one of these for a long time, and with the help of KayakinBoy I was able to try one (got one more resting in the humi). I'm sitting outside in the backyard with my laptop as I'm writing this. Before smoking it I took some time to read up on the cigar. Looks like the Rocky Patel line is part of the Indian Tabac brand. I've had an Indian Tabac maduro before, but sadly it was too tight to be enjoyed. From all I've heard, the Rocky Patel's are supposed to be nice cigars for the price. This cigar looks very nice with sun grown wrapper. It smells very inviting too. I punch it and then proceed to lighting it.

The prelight draw is a bit tight, but nothing seriously stuffed. It lights up nice and even, and with a couple extra puffs I'm getting nice amounts of smoke. The cigar burns quite slowly and very evenly. The ash is white/light grey. The construction is, obviously, top notch. The smoke smells like a mix of vanilla and caramel, very pleasant. Not drinking anything with this cigar I am able to pick up the flavors quite well. Some nuttiness and coffee come to my mind first, with hints of spice. Wish I could do better. All in all, highly enjoyable :thumbs:

The cigar burns evenly all the way, getting hotter and a little bit bitter at the end. It leaves me with a very good first impression, and I'm hoping to try more of these in the future, perhaps the 1990 line also. Below are a couple of pictures. I think they turned out rather well, considering it's my first time :)

Rocky_Patel_1992_%20500x667.jpg

Rocky_Patel_1992_%20500x667_2.jpg

Nice review and great pics. I'm actually smoking this exact cigar, sitting with my laptop in the FRONT yard, as I read your review.

KevPriest

Nice review, I've got a few of these in the humi along with a couple of '90's too. I should hit cbid and see if I can get a few more.

AVB said:
Nice review, I've got a few of these in the humi along with a couple of '90's too. I should hit cbid and see if I can get a few more.
[snapback]229751[/snapback]​

I've been checking in on cbid every so often, and usually if they have the RP Vintage it's only fivers or 10 packs, and they're usually already bid right up to retail.

I seem to be able to get them at about 20% off retail from cbid. Maybe I'm just lucky the few times I've gotten them.

I've got a 1990 torp in the humi waiting to be burned to the nub!

coventrycat86 said:
I like these but prefer the 1990s over the 1992s. However, I smoked my first "Edge" by Rocky Patel and I now like these more than the 1990 & the 1992. :thumbs:
[snapback]230254[/snapback]​

I agree. I love the edges these days, and for 5 bucks a stick at my B&M...I am very happy.

caudio51 said:
coventrycat86 said:
I like these but prefer the 1990s over the 1992s.  However, I smoked my first "Edge" by Rocky Patel and I now like these more than the 1990 & the 1992. :thumbs:

I agree. I love the edges these days, and for 5 bucks a stick at my B&M...I am very happy.
[snapback]230255[/snapback]​

I picked up my first ones last week at Uncle Mikey's (MrBundles) in Richmond and loved them :thumbs: He sells fivers for $21 and change ;)

Shamless plug off :D

Like CC and Caudio, I prefer the 90's over the 92's, but both are very good.

I smoked the Rocky Patel Sungrown last night and wasn't too impressed, though.

coventrycat86 said:
caudio51 said:
coventrycat86 said:
I like these but prefer the 1990s over the 1992s.  However, I smoked my first "Edge" by Rocky Patel and I now like these more than the 1990 & the 1992. :thumbs:

[snapback]230255[/snapback]​

I picked up my first ones last week at Uncle Mikey's (MrBundles) in Richmond and loved them :thumbs: He sells fivers for $21 and change ;)

Shamless plug off :D
[snapback]230258[/snapback]​

CC, which Edge did you buy? I started out liking the missile, but found it had a little too much flavor. Now I've been buying the toro maduro. They are just right. The construction is so nice. As a matter of fact, I brought one today to smoke after work. Wish I could smoke it right now though. Thank god I get off at 3:30pm. :p

stevehawk said:
Like CC and Caudio, I prefer the 90's over the 92's, but both are very good.

I smoked the Rocky Patel Sungrown last night and wasn't too impressed, though.
[snapback]230337[/snapback]​

Yeah, I just tried the sungrown PC last week, and it pretty much sucked too.
I'd stick with the AF Cuban Beli or even the Montesino sungrown is pretty tasty. :thumbs:

Uh-oh. I just bought a whole box of the sungrown pc. I got a great deal through cbid, and figured that I really enjoyed both the 90 and 92, so this couldn't be that far off! I haven't had one yet, perhaps this afternoon I'd better get one out and give it a try.

Either the 90 or 92 in my opinion is a cigar worth buying by the box.

I agree Gonz ... I just dropped the hammer on a box of 1990 robustos.
Cheapest I could find was $110 / delivered. Anyone know of a better place?