• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Renaissance - Toro

Tillers

So, being such a nice day out on Sunday, I decided to try a new smoke. I wanted something with a full body so, based on looks alone I chose the Rocky Patel Renaissance in a Toro (6x52) from my LCS. $10.99 per stick, which is the most I've spent thus far.

Being my first review, I really wanted to go all out and pick something with complicated flavors and noticeable differences with every puff, or at least each section, but I can't say this cigar delivered that. Not to say I'm disappointed however. Quite the opposite is true here. This is a simple cigar that quickly gets to the favor.

From the get go, the cigar has a nice, deep, rich dark color similar to that of a cup of coffee with just a dollop of cream, just enough to break up the midnight-black look that would otherwise be present. The smell is nice and rich, earthly, buttery. I almost want to take a bite, but I digress. I lite up, took a few short puffs and produced some nice, thick clouds of smoke. Once easy, long draw to take in the flavor and a very earthy, robust flavor fill my mouth. I hold the smoke in for maybe 5-7 second and through an easy exhale produce another full cloud of thick smoke. The draw is easy and light, not much effort required which is how I like it. I take another minute or so to try and draw out some more flavor from my salivating taste buds and again, I can taste a nice, full, earthy flavor.

Ten minutes and 1/2 inch or so into the cigar and some short puffs produce a light peppery taste. I like, so I take a longer, more pronounced draw and hold it in for maybe 10 seconds. This time the pepper is full force, very pronounced a welcome addition to the constant earthiness that has been present. I will say a buttery flavor but maybe it's more of an 'experience' as it's so smooth it feels as if the flavor was buttered.

25 or so minutes in and the cigar is still smoking easy with a light draw. Earthy flavor is the same, the buttery is perhaps a bit more bitter now, just slightly. Pepper flavor is just noticeably apparent now, the strong hit that was introduced back on minute ten was short lived.

40 minutes in and the cigar is now producing the same, earthy flavor with the slight bitterness (not overwhelming, not underwhelming, just right) that was introduced 25 or so minutes into the smoke. The cigar is starting to burn a bit uneven, despite my slow consumption. I've been taking my time as the day is calling for me to stay out. The burning evened out after another 15 or so minutes.

An hour into the cigar and the full bodied, earthiness is still there, bitterness has picked up a bit and I think I can taste a bit of pepper once again. Not nearly as strong as the 10 minutes mark, maybe equal to what I was getting at 25 minutes in. I take note of this as I have about an inch or so of the smoke left, I was an inch or so into the smoke when the pepper strength was similar so maybe this has something to so with the proximity to the ends, maybe not, but an observation I made.

1:17 minutes later I extinguish the cigar. Satisfied with my choice and happy I bought two when I was at the store!

Synopsis:

Full bodied, earthly, peppery, buttery, slight bitter and fully satisfying :) I recommend and will definitely give this one another go round!

122.jpg

121.jpg

142.jpg

141.jpg

162.jpg

161.jpg

Great stuff Tillers! I haven't smoked the RP Renaissance line before, but the RP 1990's and 1992's are a favorite of mine. I think for the most part with Rocky, you get exactly what you pay for and that's a good thing in the cigar world.