• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Seconds

slider9499

We've all seen the RP seconds claiming to be real RP Vintage ciagrs with some slight imperfections. But my question is - If these are truly rejects due to the reasons that are mentioned by Rocky Patel himself and in the writings on the Cigar International site, then why don’t they have ANY resemblance at all of the original Vintage line?

In other words, if these are simple blemish or off-color marks that are making them Seconds then they should have the exact same shape as the Vintage 1990 and 1992. These are nothing at all in shape like the aforementioned. This would lead me to believe that they are not actually seconds per se but were actually made my RP on purpose. :love:

Any thoughts or insight on this?

And also, has anyone ever tried them?

That's a good question. The only answer I can think of is that the pressing of the cigar is a process that they can skip if they know they are going to reject it anyway. I am assuming that after the cigars are rolled they go through an inspection process. The good cigars are sent to an area of the factory for square pressing and aging while the rejects are then sent to be bundled.

The Selects and 2nds taste different to me than the firsts, but they are damned good cigars, especially for the money, in their own right.

Doc.

The Selects and 2nds taste different to me than the firsts, but they are damned good cigars, especially for the money, in their own right.

Doc.
I agree with Doc on the RP Sun-Grown Selects and Seconds. The construction is almost on the same par as the regular production. Nice wrapper, no split foot or scratch. And the taste and flavor is the same as the first. Excellent cigar price since you don't need to go for the first (they are almost double in cost).

Enjoy your Mom's day cigar ! :D

My petite corona '92s are box-pressed. Not sure about the taste, never had a #1.

I do like the '90s better.

For what that is worth--just my experience.

On the Sungrown selects I try to keep about 5 bundles laid down. I find they get a little better with time. As Doc said, it really is a good cigar. The QC is there even with the seconds.

I agree with you on the aging factor, SJM. I have found a drop off point in flavor after a year and half or so. Since I smoke them often I like to keep a couple bundles back. My .02 ;)

I buy a lot of the 2nds, and sometimes they're box pressed, and sometimes they're not, which leads me to believe that at least some of them are kicked from the process before they get to box press.

These are great smokes, even though they're seconds. The bundles I've gotten had some with tears in the wrappers and discoloration, but that was only 2-3 out of the bundle of 15-20 and they still smoked just fine. Still just a fan of the 90s even in the seconds, the 92s still have that brassy taste the regulars have (which would make sense if they're just seconds).

---John Holmes...

Back