• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto

EzTheFix

Reaction score
Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

There is something about a Cuban cigar's wrapper that I find very distinct and appealing. They are generally buttery and come packed with a generous dose of chilli pepper that can be sensed from the moment the cigar is tasted before lighting—I just love that sweet spicy hot sensation.

In general, I find that even the best tobacco growers from Nicaragua, Honduras, and the Dominican Republic have a difficult time reproducing this. The Rocky Patel Sun Grown Ecuadorian wrapper, though, in my opinion, comes mightily close.

It is an absolutely well put together cigar: a good cap, even bunch, solid feel, and that wonderful semi-sweet caramel aroma of the wrapper. Cuban cigars often lack the spotless, flawless construction that these sticks have.

At first taste, I got a wonderful peppery taste. The pre-light draw revealed a bit of graphite, which I tend to associate with my favorite Cuban cigar, the PSD4. This is a cigar that I really enjoy from start to finish. It is simply perfect for those who appreciate the entire cigar smoking ritual; and I certainly do.

A good light, and the smoke yielded is very well balanced from the start: dense, rich, and with a very good dose of pepper to counter the semi sweet notes. In one word, I would classify the smoke as elegant.

The spice and pepper subside in the second third, and the smoke becomes more chewy. The semisweet caramel notes are extremely satisfying and bare a light cacao undertone. As the cigar progresses, the caramel notes increasingly become rather earthy while retaining the sweet scent that reminds me of the smell I typically associate with that of a fine pipe.

All the flavors intensify and darken past the half way point and before long a great espresso note sets in; a note that deepens in the last third and coats the taste buds with an awesome, long finish. That sun grown Ecuadorian wrapper is simply delightful. :thumbs:

Nice Review! :thumbs:

Still my favorite stick even after a year of decadence here at CP :p

Great review! I wholeheartedly agree about the construction. IMHO these are some of the best "work" cigars on the market. There is something about their wrapper that holds up to my chomping as I work in the garden, yard, or shop. And if I drop them in the dirt or into a pile of coolant covered metal, they are cheap enough to just light up another.

Very Nice review!

I'm just over halfway through my second one--a toro. My first was a little bitty one. It was a harsh, nasty little SOB, which made me question why I ever purchased this big bastard in the first place. This thread prompted me to bust it out after about 2 weeks in my humidor.

This one is a different animal. The first thing I notice is that this thing is heavy. Seems well made. Since it's so big, I punched it. The draw is a little looser than I like, but not a problem. It lit without issue.

My overall impression of the first half is that it's simply a well executed cigar. No one quality jumps out above another. Smoke volume is good, slightly spicy but balanced well. It burned well enough, with a tight mostly white ash. The aroma is pretty nice for a fairly strong cigar.

As the OP noted, in the second half the smoke picked up in volume and density. The overall flavor increases but remains balanced between sweet and spice. I'm beginning to have wrapper issues....it's wanting to come unravelled, and the burn is uneven, with a flaky ash. I bought this from my local B&M, and their stuff is overhumidified. I suspect this is the culprit, but many of the RP's I've had in my limited sampling seem to have these problems despite their seemingly flawless construction. More sampling is in order. ;)

Overall, my impression is that it's a very well done cigar. Well balanced, but no one flavor characteristic really jumps out and grabs you. At this price point, I'd definitely consider keeping some on hand as "go-to," if I thought they'd hold together better than this one.