• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Torpedo

iota

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Torpedo (6.25 x 52). I find this one hard to review. I've been sitting on my notes for a couple of days thinking on and off about how to put them together. I often find Rockey Patel hit and miss for my taste, but this one is tricky. It was like two completely different cigars inside the same wrapper. Decided not to worry about it.

Looking at it initially, it looks great. Tightly wrapped, box pressed Honduran broadleaf wrapper. Feels nice and firm. The aroma is strong but pleasant and I take a prelight draw which has also a very nice spicy flavor. A couple of minutes later I realized I still hadn't lit it yet. I kept pulling the unlit stick thinking about the flavor where it was coming from. I lit it up, no problems there. Actually throughout the whole stick the burn stayed excellent with a good, easy draw and a solid ash. No questions about the construction. But once I took that first draw I just thought, "where did that spice go?" it was very muted up front. Maybe just a little sweet. There was a lot of flavor coming through, but the different tastes didn't seem to balance each other out very well. It was also a little harsh through the nose and had an aftertaste that lingered for a while that I didn't find very pleasant. I was pairing this with coffee and I found I kept going to it to clear out my palate. All that said, once I hit about the halfway mark, everything changed. The harshness was totally gone and this became a much smoother, more balanced smoke with an enjoyable flavor. Really excellent mild to medium smoke at this point, actually. I'm glad I didn't toss it during that first half.

Related threads:
It's really hard to find consistency in any of these descriptions. Everyone has a completely different take. (Mine being yet another one.)

Other reading. These were definitely worth a read and helped me to appreciate all the hard work Rocky has put in, besides just being genuinely interesting:
  • Cigar Aficionado interview with Rocky Patel with good advice for any business, "And the only way I could show them is by outworking them and by doing my own thing—don't give up. You have to look at your competition in whatever business you're in, see what they're doing and try to do it better."
  • Smoke Magazine interview with Rocky Patel Did you know they were apparently going to make a Rocky Patel reality TV show? "They thought my lifestyle was cool and would make good television so they started shooting the pilot for “Cigar Czar,” covering everything we do." Has anyone heard anything about that?
778137885_5sLod-XL.jpg

778157714_sJATm-XL.jpg

778165666_Vnisf-XL.jpg

778173003_AvYSW-XL.jpg

778195188_CJYYj-XL.jpg

Nice review. These were one of my early favorites that I like to revisit every once and a while to see if I still like them. To date, I still do. One of the few RP's that I still really enjoy. By the way, I like your helpers in there!

Excellent review Iota. Wonderful pictures, creativity, and most importantly you stuck to what you thought about the cigar not what others did. It made for a very interesting read to see what various members thought of the same smoke.

I purchased one a few weeks ago and just havent touch it yet..very beautiful cigar..Esp in the glass tube..One of these days i will have to light it up and enjoy...

Excellent review Iota. Wonderful pictures, creativity, and most importantly you stuck to what you thought about the cigar not what others did. It made for a very interesting read to see what various members thought of the same smoke.
Thanks. Yeah, I agree it's fun to check out what other people thought and how they described it. You, for example, seem to have a gift for taking smoking a cigar and turning into a short novel. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I agree it's fun to check out what other people thought and how they described it. You, for example, seem to have a gift for taking smoking a cigar and turning into a short novel. :)

This made me laugh and my wife laugh even louder!

I just had my first one of these (gifted, thanks Ciggy!) tonight. I didn't really get anything that I felt amounted to harshness, but I can agree it was a bit like two cigars in one. The second half may have been a bit smoother, all in all I enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks for the review. Nice read and I really dug your little helpers as well.

This is one of the few lines I really like from Rocky Patel. I have a few boxes of the 1992 Churchill that I really enjoy.

Great photos, better, a great review. While I am not a fan of RP, your review would get me to at least try one. I'll be looking for your reviews more often.