• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

Truckingtiger

Rocky Patel – Vintage 1990

This is my first review of a cigar on here so Im not gonnabe as detailed as most of you guys are, but Ill try.

Bought the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 at a local B&M inPlainview, Tx. While I was waiting on my next load. I also bought the Romeo yJulieta Deluxe Cedro No. 2 (but that will be another review).

Got to the truck, unwrapped the cigar and snipped the endoff of the torpedo. Pre-light draw was smooth and easy with a nice hint ofchocolate. The smell from this thing was simply Heavenly before I lit it. Thestick itself was dark with a nice sheen on it. Almost felt oily. Very smooth wrapper and very firmthroughout.

Im drinking a Coke with this on the suggestion of anotherBOTL (and got a sugar packet from the Truckstop im at, just in case) so Iwouldn’t yack up my lunch…LOL. The first draw was smooth with that hint of chocolate stillthere. A little bit of peppery spice on the tongue and lots of smoke. It wasalmost a cocoa taste that lingered well after the draw. This is going to be agood cigar, me thinks. I actually exhaled this through the nostrils withoutcoughing up a lung. LOL. Ive only had a CAO and Padrons so far and both ofthose almost killed me to exhale through the nostrils. After the exhale on the2[sup]nd[/sup] draw, the cocoa taste is still there, but no spice any longer.It seemed to have disappeared.

At this point, I get my next load to go up to Amarillo topick up ASAP. Well, It’s just gonna have to wait until this Rocky Patel isnubbed. Im not outing this one as I am enjoying the Hell out of it. The more Im smoking this during the first third of it, itseems like there is a hint of something sweet other than the cocoa. I cantquite place the taste so far…maybe as I go along, it will shine through.Getting a hint of Vanilla now mixing with the strong Cocoa taste. This thing isgetting better as I go. No harshaftertaste so far and the smoke is thick and creamy. Not as much smoke as a Padron 4000, but still a lot.

It seems that the burn is a little off. I’ve got one sideburning more than the other. This could definitely be my fault as I am justlearning how to light one of these things. There is way more burn on the bottomthan the top. Not even at ALL.

Im about a third of the way through this awesome cigar andit has been pretty consistent since I lit it. Still no spice and still thatcocoa taste, which is just fine with me. I’m not noticing any nic kick at all with this one, but that could befrom just me getting used to it now.

Havent dumped the ash yet, and it is at an inch and a halfat the moment. Dumped the ash at about the 1.5 mark and noticed a change in theflavor. It had a distinct flavor of a mocha coffee. It was a creamy, frothymocha coffee and it just made me WANT one.

This cigar has not been harsh to me at ALL so far. It isjust very smooth. I am picking up a hint of pepper now at about the halfwaymark, but still with that smooth mocha taste swimming around in my mouth. I’venoticed that the smoke isn’t as dense as it was when I first started it, aswell. Im not getting a lot of smoke on each draw, but enough.

The last half changed. Quite a bit of pepper and spice, butstill with the mocha flavor. It stayed this way until it hit the last 3[sup]rd[/sup].Down the homestretch, it was minty and the mocha/cocoa/chocolate was completelygone. There were hints of roasted nuts with the mint flavor and was reallygood.

I smoked this thing till it was almost burning my fingers. Idid NOT want to put it out. I think I have found myself a new favorite.

Is this what it is to smoke a great cigar?

(sorry for the crappy images...my iphone doesnt like close ups).

gallery_11781_1376_530685.jpg

gallery_11781_1376_377097.jpg

gallery_11781_1376_6825.jpg

gallery_11781_1376_32452.jpg

Your space bar is sticky, me thinks :laugh:

Nice first review, glad you enjoyed it, that's my buddies all time favorite stoogie, even after he smoked some of my good CCs and Opus Xs.

Heck, so you have a sticky spacebar; better than a sticky wicket (I think). Well done on the review. You kept me reading right until the police pulled you over for driving with one hand :laugh:

See you around. If you are coming near Dallas, give me a shout.

Ed

Good review TT! If you liked that cigar I suggest you find an Alec Bradley Tempus. I found them to be rather similar in profiles while still having their own characteristics.

Good review TT! If you liked that cigar I suggest you find an Alec Bradley Tempus. I found them to be rather similar in profiles while still having their own characteristics.
X2! I'm don't smoke too many maduros, but when I do, the RP Vintage 1990, the Alec Bradley Tempus, and the new La Aroma de Cuba are some of my go-to sticks.

Well honey, I must say you are certainly going down the right path for being a newbie smoker! You have picked some winners for cigars. RP produces TONS of different blends (way too many to even count) but some of them are truly great - the Vintage '90 and '92 being two of them. Oh, and a nice review, by the way! Good call on the Coke. :laugh:

One thing you will come to find out, Rocky is a perfectionist when it comes to creating cigars. Because of this, I've never had an RP with a bad draw, and I find that they are usually very well-constructed and very smooth. When you're back at your home base, you might want to consider ordering a batch of RP Vintage 2nds - they are essentially "reject" Vintage '90's and 92's; the only real difference is that have some slight imperfections (discoloration and such). They taste exactly the same and are just as well-constructed as a Vintage '90 you'd buy in a cigar shop, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper. Here's a link in case you're interested:

http://www.cigarsint...%20patel%202nds

Also, I recommend trying the Rocky Patel Decade if you happen to come across it in your travels. It's my favorite RP and a wonderful smoke.

Congrats on your first review. Well done...the Vintage 1990 as well as the Decade that Yesi mentioned, and the Sun Grown happen to be the three Rocky Patel cigars I like. Personally, I could do without most of the stuff he produces. Still I'm glad you found a new favorite. Keep in mind though...the more you smoke the more your tastes will evolve. That is a good thing.

Very nice first review Trucking. The 1990 was actually the first non-gas station cigar I tried and loved it (review on the site somewhere). I have not had another since but you reminded me that there are a couple in my humi that I might revisit. Welcome to CP!

Back