• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut

J-Rod

Well . . . after a long week, and another win for my softball team, I thought it would be nice to sit down with a cigar and glass of wine. I opened up the humi, looked around, and decided on this Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut.

100_0801.jpg

Smells decent, appears to have fairly good construction on the outside, and a nice shade Connecticut wrapper.

I cut the cap to find that the filler near the tip is packed VERY tightly . . . I start to worry about how the draw will be. So, proceeding with caution, I strike up a match and get it going . . . The draw is not the worst I've ever experienced, but it was not very good at all.

So we get to the first third. The burn was very even, nice white ash, but the flavor just wasn't there. I knew this would be a mild stick, but I didn't know that mild meant that there was almost no flavor.

I get about an inch and a half into it and . . . call it quits. The draw was terrible, the flavor was either non-existent, or when I got a hint of something, it wasn't good.

I've had cigars that cost $1.25 that were better made and better tasting . . . perhaps this stick itself was an outlier, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

Has anyone else had any experience with this cigar?

There are only a few RP blends that Iactually thought were any good and which I would contemplate buying again, the Vintage 1992 and 1990. I've tried the Sun Grown, The Edge, Decade and a few others and they all left me unimpressed with their spectacularly average profile. I have a RP Sumatra sitting in my humidor that I'm keeping an open mind about.

There are only a few RP blends that Iactually thought were any good and which I would contemplate buying again, the Vintage 1992 and 1990. I've tried the Sun Grown, The Edge, Decade and a few others and they all left me unimpressed with their spectacularly average profile. I have a RP Sumatra sitting in my humidor that I'm keeping an open mind about.

Vintage 1992 is the only RP blend that I've ever liked. The 1992 perfecto's are very good in my opinion and used to be a staple in my humidor.

I'm not a huge fan of RP. I absolutly love the Sumatra!!!
Probably one of my favorite cigars of all time.
Call me strange but that particular blend hits me it the sweet spot.
They don't make them anymore you know. I never see them anywhere.
Smoke that thing man!

I have only had one Connecticut. That was the night I met Rocky.. I thought it was very mild and bland.

I've smoked a couple vitolas of this blend and enjoyed them both. I mostly smoke strong cigars but like a mild cigar sometimes. The two I smoked was the perfecto and torpedo. They both had great draw, full flavor, good tobacco taste with notes of fruit and bread and a nice sweetness. Not my usual profile preference but the ones I smoked were still well constructed and flavorful cigars.

I never decide on a blend or cigar based on one example as they are hand made AND come from differing storage conditions during it's "life cycle". Many people prefer these '99s to the '90 and '92; but, I like the '92 best.

I've smoked a couple vitolas of this blend and enjoyed them both. I mostly smoke strong cigars but like a mild cigar sometimes. The two I smoked was the perfecto and torpedo. They both had great draw, full flavor, good tobacco taste with notes of fruit and bread and a nice sweetness. Not my usual profile preference but the ones I smoked were still well constructed and flavorful cigars.

I never decide on a blend or cigar based on one example as they are hand made AND come from differing storage conditions during it's "life cycle". Many people prefer these '99s to the '90 and '92; but, I like the '92 best.

yeah, the fact that this had a terrible draw I'm sure limited the amount of flavor I could actually experience, since I was getting very little smoke, on the whole it was a disappointment, but I would give it another try if I got one that was well made. I have had an RP decade before and that wasn't too bad at all

The regular Connecticut isn't bad for a knock around mild smoke if the price is right. Personally, I like the nutty flavors the Vintage 92 offers. The Decade is good, but I think I like the Edge a little better. I've had the toro and the torp and the toro comes out on top to me.

I wouldn't call myself a big RP fan either, but in all honesty there are a few cigars he makes that I enjoy. The Vintage 1990 would be my favorite in the line, the Sun Grown isn't bad, and the Decade is quite good as well. I prefer the regular Decade to the Limited Edition.

I think you had a bad one, in my opinion. I can't tell you how many people I've gotten to start smoking cigars by giving them an RP 1999. Very mild, but I've found them to have a lot of flavor. It's not something I'd smoke, but its great for those just starting out.

I think you had a bad one, in my opinion.
X2

That being said, your review was very good. Plus, it's nice to read a review that isn't all accolades.
I think there's somewhat of a tendency to either review cigars because we enjoyed them or because we think we will.

So it was good that you just picked a cigar and gave us your opinion. :thumbs:

On the other hand, some reviewers will base a review on two or more just to ensure against the possibility of a "bad one", which does happen.

Edit for my ten thumbs :)

I think you had a bad one, in my opinion.
X2

That being said, your review was very good. Plus, it's nice to read a review that isn't all accolades.
I think there's somewhat of a tendency to either review cigars because we enjoyed them or because we think we will.

So it was good that you just picked a cigar and gave us your opinion. :thumbs:

On the other hand, some reviewers will base a review on two or more just to ensure against the possibility of a "bad one", which does happen.

Edit for my ten thumbs :)

I hear what you're saying about 2-3 smokes before a review. Like I said, I am open to trying another one to see whether or not I got a bad one. Maybe I'll hit up the local store on my way back from class tomorrow and see if he has one in the humi . . . I will of course update if there is a change

They don't make them anymore you know. I never see them anywhere.
Smoke that thing man!

I have only had one Connecticut. That was the night I met Rocky.. I thought it was very mild and bland.

Last night while smoking the Edge Sumatra I looked 'em up and you can still find factory seconds. I the the Sumatra had a bit of bitterness to it though it produced huge volumes of fairly rich smoke. It reminded me of an LX2, actually, but with that bitterness and a tighter draw. Not bad, but I won't seek any out, the remaining stock is all yours, BOTL. :D

Strange doesn't even begin to cover it. :laugh: