• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rolling back some Cuba sanctions are likely

This has been discussed ever since Castro has become ill and his brother has taken over control. I would not hold your breath. It is very unlikely anything will change. Our governement has more pressing issues to deal with than Cuba reforms.

Yeah Cuba's not high on the agenda.. more cons politically and who knows what raul will do next?

There is still a very strong lobby to keep sanction in place. Unfortunately, I wouldn't think there will be much of a change in policy any time soon.

However - Obama seems to already be doing some interesting foreign relations moves. There does not seem to be anything with Cuba in the near term. There is the possibility of a bit of a thaw in the relations which could lead to opening some type of talks if Raul is receptive.

We shall see...

Last night the Treasury department changed some of the rules about travel to Cuba. Cuban Americans can now visit relatives once a year instead of once every three years. There was a detailed article in the Miami Herald (sorry for being Linky-impaired). Americans will be able to apply for liscences to sell food/medicine but details will be disclosed later. If you wanted to go down there I guess you could apply for the liscence, take down a box of band-aids and see if anyone will buy them. At about the same time the Senate pulled funding on the Treasury department that is used to enforce Cuba issues. Don't be misled by any of this as the two above mentioned articles might get you to beleive. This has happened before and historically the Treasury department will do what they damn well please. However, it is a step in the right direction. On the other side of the island, I'm sure most of you are aware that Raul cleaned house and replaced Fidel's errand boys with his own military cronies. Felipe Perez Roque and Carlos Lage being the biggest surprise. A lot of theories arise; too many hands in the cookie jar... etc. The true reason is that these two probably were negotiating with other countries any possible future changes and new ideas doesn't sit well with Raul. It's easier to control a decaying economy with military old school. John

The WSJ had a two page article on the island 3/27/09. Mostly old info, but I was surprised that they would dedicate so much space to this. I have seen some policy changes by the airlines on the direct flights, changes that lead me to beleive that they are expecting volume anytime soon. John

The WSJ had a two page article on the island 3/27/09. Mostly old info, but I was surprised that they would dedicate so much space to this. I have seen some policy changes by the airlines on the direct flights, changes that lead me to beleive that they are expecting volume anytime soon. John
A bill was introduced into congress today to address travel to Cuba for ALL Americans.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/0...el_to_cuba.html

WHOOT!!