• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RSS Feed possible?

kro77

Hi Rod and all,

I was wondering if there are plans to have an RSS feed with new posts? I only ask because I then could check my ticker for new posts. Just and idea I thought i would bring up and thanks.

It's an option we're considering.

Thanks for the reply Rod, and again it is just a thought and feel free to shot it down if you do not want the board going that way.

Rod said:
It's an option we're considering.
[snapback]253098[/snapback]​

We did it for our site... it's pretty easy to do really.

This may be a still question, but you guys *have* tried the Get New Posts link, and also the "My Assistant" link at the top of each page right? It's in the brownish nav bar...

I do use the new posts thing all the time Moki, but it involves me going to the site. Would be cool to have an RSS feed so I cold see what is going on without being logged in. But this is a nice to have feature rather then anything that is really needed or would make a huge difference.

Another vote for RSS feed...
ivoted.gif
:)

We would be doing a dis-service to our sponsors who actually pay to support the ongoing success of CigarPass.com. This is why we haven't enabled RSS as of yet. If we port out messages to your page, then you would be bypassing all banner ads.

Rod said:
We would be doing a dis-service to our sponsors who actually pay to support the ongoing success of CigarPass.com. This is why we haven't enabled RSS as of yet. If we port out messages to your page, then you would be bypassing all banner ads.
[snapback]254137[/snapback]​

Hello Rod,

I see your concern, however, it is really no different then the emails that are already sent, IMO. It might actually increase traffic, by giving members another means to stay engaged and be notified of new postings and thread responses. A user still would need to come to the site to respond to a thread etc.

It also would allow users a means of searching for keywords in newly posted threads and flagging those messages. For example my RSS aggregater (RSSBandit) would allow me to set up a persistent search, for example "ASHTON VSG", whenever it receives a feed with that phrase it move it to a specific folder and flags it for me. Again providing a feature that would elevate interest and stimulate responses. But all this is just my opinion, based on my experience on other boards that avail themselves of RSS...

Rod,

I agree with you about the sponsors point, and frankly i had not thought of that. I wonder if it would be possible to have the RSS Feed sponsored by different vendors per hour, so the first line item in the feed would be something like "RSS Sponsored by: CP Vendor" with a link to their site. But if that is not possible it could cause kind of a big hit to your revenue and shut the place down.

Thanks for listening to the idea.

I'm not saying no; I want to install the RSS feed on my end and test it out first and see how it goes, then we'll go beta. If it does more harm than good I can always shut it down. Will play with it once I upgrade the forum.

You can add banner ads to the feeds, having them appear at the bottom of each posts or every certain number of posts, etc. Been a long time since I screwed around with Invision, so I'm not sure how the latest versions are as far as setting up feed templates, but it should be possible.

Rod said:
I'm not saying no; I want to install the RSS feed on my end and test it out first and see how it goes, then we'll go beta. If it does more harm than good I can always shut it down. Will play with it once I upgrade the forum.
[snapback]254303[/snapback]​

Great, I'm looking forward to it... :)

I too would like this. Any new information on it?

Not yet, give us a couple of months. We're working on the upgrade.

I just set it up in the lobby. Please test it out and let me know how it goes. If it goes well, we'll install rss export on more of the forums.

I just set it up in the lobby. Please test it out and let me know how it goes. If it goes well, we'll install rss export on more of the forums.
Hello Rod,
Fantastic! :) It works fine for me. One suggestion I might make it to have a click on the RSS button launch direclty into a new window, instead of the little hover-over link from the RSS button. Just my 2¢.

EDIT: Never mind, the suggestion, I see now the idea behind the hover-over, it will be obvious once you add more feeds. duh.

Thanks again Rod. :thumbs: