• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rum for Mojitos?

Joe P

I have been wanting to try some Mojitos. What kind of (brand) rum should I use? I'm sure HC will be mentioned and I would love to try it, but what I'm looking for is something that is readly available from the local liquor store. I don't drinl alot of rum, but the recipe for a Mojito sounds very good. It sorta reminds me of a mint julip, but its made with rum.

So come on rum/mojito experts, let me know what I should try.

Joe

Joe, there's a very large selection of rums on the market. They all have their own taste profiles. If you have a favorite rum that you know you like, use it. Any mid priced bottle, say $15 to $25 will work just fine. It is said that approx 10% of the population actually has a palate that can distinguish flavors when blended. I wouldn't worry too much about the rum. Once you make the drink and all the ingredients come together you have created a totally different taste profile that few would ever be able to tell you what kind of rum you used in it. JMO!

Joe, mojitos are best when made with a clear rum, ala HC 3. I would NOT use Bacardi silver, as it has a bit of a harsh taste to me. Check out some of the upper line, clear rums at the liquor store, just make sure they are not flavored. Also, fresh mint is essential.
Some brands to look for: Clarke's Court, Cruzan, Pitu Cachaca or Ron Matusalem Platinum (not the Cuban kind).